Construct 3 Subscription Fee Or Buy (Pay Once) Vote

Post » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:09 pm

Voting is probably pointless... But for the heck of it. Here is my vote, one off payment... like it has always been. It's the entire reason I chose Construct over GameSalad & Stencyl.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:37 pm

Doing it because they cant afford to pay to do a simple survey before making a price so i am offering my time for free to knock some sense in Ashley and Tom head
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:52 pm

Buy.

I simply CAN'T pay a subscription fee, even if it was $1/month. I can however make a one time payment.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:54 pm

Subscription model (or SAAS - Software as a service) now is a inductry standart in fact. and it's become a common delivery model for many business applications. Yes, it's a bit new for game dev, but not because it doesn't work, but because developers prefer add one digit to software version and sell Software++.
SaaS better for customer, mainly because all important updates implemented immediately, and developers not need to wait for next number relise.
It's also good for developers because it's more stable profit model.

I don't see any problem with subscription. 99$/y is a low cost for good game dev software.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:05 am

DeusEx wrote:Subscription model (or SAAS - Software as a service) now is a inductry standart in fact.

Not
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:20 am

Honestly I don't even care anymore. The poor performance and the headache we have to export our games is annoying enough to leave C2. I think I have dozens of games unfnished because I got discouraged just thinking in the exporting process and it's poor results. Plus all the tools in order to have access to leaderboards, achivements, monetization, etc have poor support in the built-in engine so we have to rely on 3rth parties. Based on all of that I can say that subscription is a NO. Plus most of us are hobbyiest at it and 50% or more of the scirra's audience come from many countries. I take for me as an example. The currency exchange in here is more than 3:1 so I would pay more than 3 times the price.

To sum up I can say that C2 -and probably C3- is really a great tool but terrible at supporting us after the project is finished. The support for mobile and for PC(steam) is terrible if compared to others. We don't know all the news from C3 but we already know that we won't have native export and we can expect the same problems I mentioned above. Based on all of that how can we vote for subscription instead of buying?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:44 am

DeusEx wrote:I don't see any problem with subscription. 99$/y is a low cost for good game dev software.

@DeusEx Construct 3 we are talking about not Unity 3D. Yes $99 is a low cost for good game dev software like Unity 3D or Uureal Engine but :twisted: :twisted: sorry to say not for Cnstruct 3 when 98% of us only use it for fun in our spare time...
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:49 am

I like paying for updates every year, if they are optional and actually bring new features that I want - i get those new features upon payment for the update - at a discount.

That is how fusion 2 to fusion 2.5 transition worked. Guess what, I still have the installers of both products and there is no timer

Another problem of the renting model is that you do not get to keep old versions of the game engine and can't roll back. But game engines constantly break backwards compatibility in order to improve old designs via complete refactoring.
One day when construct 3 becomes phased out for construct 4, nobody will be able to run it, because the thing is not pinging the discontinued server to check their license status - or it is by design forcing them to upgrade

Once support is dropped, the product can not become abandonware even. Your old game projects tied to it's version - dead
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:13 am

Buy
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:15 am

BUY

Reason I dont like subscription is because I'm not really actively using this application all the time I havent made a game yet but plan to and have mostly been messing around with construct 2 so far.

Wouldn't make any sense for me to be subscribed given the way I use it.

Just my two cents.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion