Construct 3 Subscription Fee Or Buy (Pay Once) Vote

Post » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:35 am

pinoypixel wrote:Free! :lol:

@Tom / @Ashley . Can you just give us what is covered in the free version? Most people yapping might not even need the subscription features, and can be fully contented with the free version. Unity free is decent, would C3 be the same? We all love to see the Free vs Paid feature list. I don't want to poke you against unity https://blogs.unity3d.com/2016/06/05/subscription-why/, on why they went through a subscription model, then went through a pay to own.

I think @tom mentioned that the free version will let you open projects, but not edit them or export the game... which imo makes it pretty much worthless :)
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:36 am

blurymind wrote:

@Tom / @Ashley . Can you just give us what is covered in the free version? Most people yapping might not even need the subscription features, and can be fully contented with the free version. Unity free is decent, would C3 be the same? We all love to see the Free vs Paid feature list. I don't want to poke you against unity https://blogs.unity3d.com/2016/06/05/subscription-why/, on why they went through a subscription model, then went through a pay to own.

I think @tom mentioned that the free version will let you open projects, but not edit them or export the game... which imo makes it pretty much worthless :)

:lol: LMAO i also read it somewhere. I just couldn't find the that forum discussion, if remember it correctly if you open projects that exceed the events similar to the free edition it will prevent you from editing or exporting them ( @Tom I might be wrong). Since they are going with the subscription approach, the free edition feature will determine whether most of the users will stay or go.
sleep is only for the weak!
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:49 am

*Buy*

I saw another company do something like this. Once there's enough criticism they'll revert to the "buy" model instead of subscription and then put a positive spin on things and claim that they are in touch with their users and value user feedback.
B
S

Post » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:00 am

@pinoypixel
Ashley replied in another topic that it will be like C2 free version (limited to 100 events) but with the possibility to open (no edit) projects with over 100 events.

No word about what it can export.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:30 am

I think people are getting way too excited over something you haven't even seen yet.

They will have a free version to try so no reason to complain about that price and it sounds more like this version is for hardcore designers that want to make money designing for mobile and consoles so they may not mind doing a subscription for those options.

Scirra is a business and has ongoing expenses so of course they expect to make some money and like any business product they will have to see what the market bears and if it is priced too high or the subscription is not what customers want then they may have to rethink their marketing strategy.

I am more concerned that C2 is not forgotten as many of us are using that engine and want ongoing support for that engine and our games.
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:56 am

blurymind wrote:

This is wrong, the free edition will have limits. You can work and edit games in the free edition up to those limits. If you open a project that exceeds those limits, it will be in read only mode.
Image Image
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:02 am

I do not understand a thing :roll:

With the benefits Scirra has obtained with the method of selling software

They have done really well and have a lot of money :roll:

https://companycheck.co.uk/company/0762 ... financials
https://www.endole.co.uk/company/07626452/scirra-ltd
https://www.companiesintheuk.co.uk/ltd/scirra

Because now they decide to switch to the subscription model?
CODE FOR FUN
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:37 am

Tom wrote:
blurymind wrote:

This is wrong, the free edition will have limits. You can work and edit games in the free edition up to those limits. If you open a project that exceeds those limits, it will be in read only mode.

Ok surpise me here :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: @Tom i think you need to highlight some stand out words example "If you OPEN (with more than 100 event) a project that exceeds those limits, it will be in read only mode just like in C2. That is why people keep quote stuff you did not say ;) Any no subscription. Question i an up to be a beta tester
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:39 pm

Tom wrote:This is wrong, the free edition will have limits. You can work and edit games in the free edition up to those limits. If you open a project that exceeds those limits, it will be in read only mode.

You cant do much with 100 events, so it is really not viable as an editor for old projects. The scenario of losing access to working on your own projects in construct3 after the yearly sub period has ended still stands.

As a backup people would be able to open their projects in construct2, if they have it. That way scirra has two competing products on offer.
I am assuming that construct3 made projects will not be compatible with construct2, only the other way around?
@tom does scirra plan to keep compatibility of projects between the two editors?
Will construct2 editor be able to open construct3 made projects and will that compatibility be kept for long? :geek:

Because the project filetype is binary, users will not be able to comment out lines of code that prevent the project of being loaded either.
That is one of the advantages of Fusion 3, which will allow users to also track github changes and collaborate on a project. The files that their editor uses is storing information in simple json text files - easy to edit outside of the engine editor.

Meanwhile construct's are binary blobs- not accessible for any changes or tracking outside of the editor. Your editor is probably storing information of the version that saved that file and when opening it is checking if the file is from a newer version of construct. Please correct me if I am wrong on that point.
Last edited by blurymind on Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:44 pm

Construct 3 is backwards compatible and can open Construct 2 projects, Construct 2 will not be able to open Construct 3 projects.

Because the project filetype is binary, users will not be able to comment out lines of code that prevent the project of being loaded either.

Construct 3 projects are a mix of binary files and JSON.
Image Image
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion