Construct 3 Subscription Fee Or Buy (Pay Once) Vote

Post » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:34 am

Tom wrote:We've got a much bigger team now, (compared to when it was just me and Ash in our mums house all those years ago). We have an MD who takes a lot of administrative burden off me so I can work more on web development stuff and is helping grow the business, Laura doing social media and engaging with the community (we felt we needed to increase communication with the user base), Diego and Iain who are both full time developers working on Construct 3 with Ashley, and we currently have Paulo in house doing lots of graphical work, and Julien of course always being a huge help in the forum and with support emails :) No one is a dead weight, everyone is working very hard for Scirra and doing great work. A lot of it is behind the scenes, at least for a little longer.

You have come a long way from working at Ma's house to purchasing a premises, paying staff wages, corporation tax etc, as long as your original passion, enthusiasm and commitment does not get watered down by the mechanics of business, I say well done, hat's off to you, it's encouraging to see a British success story.
I'm sure you have a great product to entice us with, only time will tell.
Last edited by sizcoz on Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bushy Ball\Boatman Bill\Sticky Web\Snake

Image ImageImageImage

During the gold rush it was a good time to be in the pick and shovel business
B
S

Post » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:36 am

Buy - No brainer
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:39 am

Tom wrote:
signaljacker wrote:I remember their team expanding a couple of months back, but wasn't it just like social media/PR people or something? Didn't seem to make any difference to the actual product and seemed like dead weight and a waste of resources. There are heaps of developers making a good living without subscription models, if Scirra wants to go that route it's up to them, but the argument that software developers need to use subscription models to be profitable simply isn't true.

We've got a much bigger team now, (compared to when it was just me and Ash in our mums house all those years ago). We have an MD who takes a lot of administrative burden off me so I can work more on web development stuff and is helping grow the business, Laura doing social media and engaging with the community (we felt we needed to increase communication with the user base), Diego and Iain who are both full time developers working on Construct 3 with Ashley, and we currently have Paulo in house doing lots of graphical work, and Julien of course always being a huge help in the forum and with support emails :) No one is a dead weight, everyone is working very hard for Scirra and doing great work. A lot of it is behind the scenes, at least for a little longer.

Yes, but we are paying for your product, not your team.
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:40 am

Tom wrote:
signaljacker wrote:I remember their team expanding a couple of months back, but wasn't it just like social media/PR people or something? Didn't seem to make any difference to the actual product and seemed like dead weight and a waste of resources. There are heaps of developers making a good living without subscription models, if Scirra wants to go that route it's up to them, but the argument that software developers need to use subscription models to be profitable simply isn't true.

We've got a much bigger team now, (compared to when it was just me and Ash in our mums house all those years ago). We have an MD who takes a lot of administrative burden off me so I can work more on web development stuff and is helping grow the business, Laura doing social media and engaging with the community (we felt we needed to increase communication with the user base), Diego and Iain who are both full time developers working on Construct 3 with Ashley, and we currently have Paulo in house doing lots of graphical work, and Julien of course always being a huge help in the forum and with support emails :) No one is a dead weight, everyone is working very hard for Scirra and doing great work. A lot of it is behind the scenes, at least for a little longer.

That's great, and glad to hear it. I do hope you guys continue to grow. Love your product, just like many on here not happy about getting trapped into a subscription model.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:43 am

bilgekaan wrote:@hmmg is right. Nobody would choose to subscribe. But If Scirra thinks that subscription suits best I don't mind to paying even more than $99/year.

True. Nobody will vote for subscribe because the "buy" model doesn't event exist, so everyone will assume it is cheaper. What if buy once cost 500USD? Will you still take the vote?

This post is pointless. The creators already expected the responses but they choose to announce price honest upfront.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:53 am

Personally I'd much rather it be subscription based with free future updates (and opt to get out if I so choose) than have to pay a lump sum of say 400-500 dollars at once for a single version # of Construct and be stuck with it for the next 5 years. Let's face it, price had to increase with Scirra expanding etc, and there was no way it was going to be $99 dollars one-off.

It all comes down to the features and usability in the end, but based on price alone I feel 2 years for 150 bucks (if you own C2 license) is quite affordable and certainly nothing to make a scene about. Also, I wouldn't take this poll as any real proof of anything as the voting / first post is clearly skewed towards one option to begin with and directs voters to vote for one option over the other.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:58 am

Jaydon wrote:
bilgekaan wrote:@hmmg is right. Nobody would choose to subscribe. But If Scirra thinks that subscription suits best I don't mind to paying even more than $99/year.

True. Nobody will vote for subscribe because the "buy" model doesn't event exist, so everyone will assume it is cheaper. What if buy once cost 500USD? Will you still take the vote?

I believe the natural assumption would be that C3 would get the same prices (for personal & business licenses) that C2 has with feature support for the same amount of years that C2 got (say 4, but at least 3).

So for $500 USD, with a discount of %50 for existing owners (50% for business license owners, at least, less for personal license owners) would I buy it? Yes, without thought, immediately. Even before it was released.

(Of course, that would also assume it had a standalone IDE like C2 that didn't run in a browser..)
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:40 pm

Cheap buy + extra fee for platform specific exporters
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:49 pm

Tom wrote:
signaljacker wrote:we felt we needed to increase communication with the user base

The last 24-hours would have been a good time.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:51 pm

For the program itself - definitely buy. Maybe a subscription for extra services.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion