Construct becomes sluggish, then freezes after 10-15min

Bugs will be moved here once resolved.

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:46 pm

g3nki wrote: Task manager tells me 0% CPU 137,9MB of Memory usage, 0,1MB/s of disk-writes (that's a bit odd, but Steam is showing the same amount of disk writes).

..... I will install Construct on a third system this evening as well. A Pentium G3220 with Radeon 7870.

That might be your problem, maybe is something about ur steam doing to it... as for C2 itself its designed to run on 128 ram memory(i think but it can run on 64 also i guess) and 512 hdd space... im using it on a home computer... low spec... never had problems technically... only my own mistakes.. and reaching the computers capabilities to render stuff, but if you timed it and the memory usage is the same as the steam,.. then steam is possibly to be doing it ... sometimes happens.

the computer im using for C2 and indie game dev stuff is a dual core 3.5Ghz intel x64 2 gb ram and 1 gb gpu card... old gig i have for a while now, that i use to test stuff for fun, and its filled with a lot of stuff running multiple software's in same time with c2, like blender for rigging and in same time the browser with different previews of the 3d games im playing with in C2, Photoshop, Audacity and other stuff, all in 1 shot and it never freezes i mean its always as optimal can be for the spec it has(my cpu usage is always at 60-80% and ram almost 60% ) some applications freeze cause the memory isn't enough, but it never happened to C2 unless i over flood it , but if id be using same stuff on my rigging machine, and freeze for 1 sec id be mad >.< ... so im pretty sure its not ur Computer, its a Software problem, something clutches it.

P.S i know my C2 Rig is awesome (20 years outdated) ha ha ha ... it has its moments... i can go nuts on it.... :))
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:03 am

zenox98 wrote:As you have now determined that the issue is likely the Steam Client, maybe Ashley can investigate further.

That would be wonderful. I would really like to help in every way I can. The only problem is that I don't know how to get in touch with Ashley. :?: He has disabled PMs (which is completely understandable)

TheRealDannyyy wrote:I have the same issue still in the recent r212.2 version of C2. To be honest it never really annoyed me "that" much, I usually minimize and open the C2 window and the lags or freezes are mostly gone after doing that.

The thing is that I can't get rid of the slowdowns. The only way is to either try to close the application down, or force it to shut in Task Manager. I wouldn't bother that much about it if the program was fully functional and operable. And well, it actually is, at stage 1, when it goes into stage 2 of sluggishness it's completely inoperable, on three different hardware platforms.

gamecorpstudio wrote:That might be your problem, maybe is something about ur steam doing to it... as for C2 itself its designed to run on 128 ram memory(i think but it can run on 64 also i guess) and 512 hdd space... im using it on a home computer... low spec... never had problems technically... only my own mistakes.. and reaching the computers capabilities to render stuff, but if you timed it and the memory usage is the same as the steam,.. then steam is possibly to be doing it ... sometimes happens.

the computer im using for C2 and indie game dev stuff is a dual core 3.5Ghz intel x64 2 gb ram and 1 gb gpu card... old gig i have for a while now, that i use to test stuff for fun, and its filled with a lot of stuff running multiple software's in same time with c2, like blender for rigging and in same time the browser with different previews of the 3d games im playing with in C2, Photoshop, Audacity and other stuff, all in 1 shot and it never freezes i mean its always as optimal can be for the spec it has(my cpu usage is always at 60-80% and ram almost 60% ) some applications freeze cause the memory isn't enough, but it never happened to C2 unless i over flood it , but if id be using same stuff on my rigging machine, and freeze for 1 sec id be mad >.< ... so im pretty sure its not ur Computer, its a Software problem, something clutches it.

P.S i know my C2 Rig is awesome (20 years outdated) ha ha ha ... it has its moments... i can go nuts on it.... :))

Hahaha, well and that's what I have figured out as well! You can have a really crappy system and Construct will work just fine. :) Technically Construct isn't very demanding at all. It's extremly fast. Even on my A4-5000 (low powered/preformance quad core at 1.5Ghz with a integrated Radeon 8330 and 8GB DDR3). I actually prefer working on this computer as it can easier replicate the performance of a modern mobilechip when I run my game. Making it easier to optimize. :)

I have tried it out on three different platforms, on all three platforms the "free edition" downloaded from scirras webpage work flawlessly, but the individual license I got from Steam have this issue on all three platforms. Task Manager clearly shows that Construct has a lot of leg room performance-wise. Now I just need to get a hold of Ashley
Currently working on "Unsung" - an open world platform adventure for PC and Consoles. follow me on Instagram :D
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:12 am

im curious to see how a steam Construct 2 license is looking as, i mean, cant u just change the email in a normal license format with the one you have in Steam? and see if it works? i mean its not checking the license online, but in its offline database that is packed in a .bin file when u install C2 so it should work, if the number and email matches.. i dont see why u use C2 trough steam anyway.. its not a game or special product that you get achievements for using it on there! and im pretty sure you get better discount on the normal official website then trough steam
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:12 am

Well, actually, if the issue is with the Steam client, the issue likely should be taken to Steam support !
This is not an issue with C2, it is an issue with Steam, different product, different company.

Standalone licenses are not compatible with Steam license and inversely as well.
They are issued by two different entities and are not compatible.
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image

Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:32 pm

g3nki wrote:Thank you guys. Buying Construct through Steam was probably the worst thing I could've done. I can't open a game while having Construct up 'n running. I can't start Construct without starting Steam, which is depressingly limiting. I wished I could've traded my Steam-license for a normal one. But unfortunately that seem impossible.

I would actually buy a new personal license through Scirra store if I knew that it would solve the matter at hand

I installed Windows 10 on the laptop this evening. Unfortunately that didn't resolve the matter either, same issue through the Individual License (Steam) and a completely new project, still no problem with the "free edition" both with a new project and the project I have been working on.

I can't be the only one experiencing this issue? or am I?

Hello friend, I tell you the whole truth.
I also have this problem with the sluggishness and others who DO NOT report this problem also has ..
This problem is related to the release of steam and neither STEAM nor Scirra want to solve the problem.
More specifically the problem is the executable file (Construct2.exe) that the version of Steam is modified and added a dll injection (steam.dll) to work with Steam Launcher and therefore this slowness occurs in the program.
I also regret much for purchasing the Construct 2 by Steam.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:16 pm

The thing that bothers me is what C2 and/or Steam are acually doing to cause this issue?
I mean a license check or something like that cannot cause so heavy lags or even freezing can it?

I'm not sure about this but I think that autosaving might cause this, at least I enabled it and set it to every 5 min. and this issue for me at least seem to happen about every 5 min.
I dont want to say that IT IS the autosave function but it might me? (I will test it and check if it is the autosave to make sure...)
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:25 am

Kyatric wrote:Well, actually, if the issue is with the Steam client, the issue likely should be taken to Steam support ! This is not an issue with C2, it is an issue with Steam, different product, different company.

Standalone licenses are not compatible with Steam license and inversely as well. They are issued by two different entities and are not compatible.

Thank you kryatic for clearing things up with how the licenses work. Unfortunately, I don't know if this is a "steam"-specific issue as I haven't been able to isolate the bug. And I can see your point Kyatric. But as a consumer I still think it is Scirra's responsibility to solve this issue with Valve/Steam. If I went to Steam Support now, they would probably redirect me to you guys and it will be an endless blame-game in which I am caught up in the middle. The only thing I know is that I have bought Construct 2 and it doesn't work very well. (unfortunately)

Because Scirra choose to use Steam as a license- and purchasing platform, (and if it is a steam-related bug) I still think it's their responsibility to solve the bug with Valve. Not the consumer. However, I am willing to do everything I can to help fixing this, because this is an issue that is in my, and many others, interest.

Reinarte wrote:Hello friend, I tell you the whole truth.
I also have this problem with the sluggishness and others who DO NOT report this problem also has ..
This problem is related to the release of steam and neither STEAM nor Scirra want to solve the problem.
More specifically the problem is the executable file (Construct2.exe) that the version of Steam is modified and added a dll injection (steam.dll) to work with Steam Launcher and therefore this slowness occurs in the program.
I also regret much for purchasing the Construct 2 by Steam.

Thank you for your comment Reinarte. That actually clear things up really well, and it sounds like a legitimate reason for the sluggishness and freezing. If this is the case I really hope that Scirra will take responsibility for the problem. If there is no solution in sight I wish they would offer a reduced price for a normal license to all those that are unfortunate enough to experience the sluggishness and freezing. I would love to buy a new license if it allows me work normally with Construct 2 again, but I would feel kind of cheated if I need to pay full price twice.

TheRealDannyyy wrote:The thing that bothers me is what C2 and/or Steam are acually doing to cause this issue?
I mean a license check or something like that cannot cause so heavy lags or even freezing can it?

I'm not sure about this but I think that autosaving might cause this, at least I enabled it and set it to every 5 min. and this issue for me at least seem to happen about every 5 min.
I dont want to say that IT IS the autosave function but it might me? (I will test it and check if it is the autosave to make sure...)

Really nice that you're sharing your experience TheRealDannyyy. Ideas of how to reproduce the bug is great way of helping Scirra isolating the bug. I will try it out as well as soon as I get home. :) If it the autosave function has a part of the sluggishness/freezing , perhaps we could at least find a workaround for Construct 2 to behave a little better than it currently is...
Currently working on "Unsung" - an open world platform adventure for PC and Consoles. follow me on Instagram :D
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:30 pm

TheRealDannyyy wrote:I'm not sure about this but I think that autosaving might cause this, at least I enabled it and set it to every 5 min. and this issue for me at least seem to happen about every 5 min. I dont want to say that IT IS the autosave function but it might be? (I will test it and check if it is the autosave to make sure...)

I tried it out this evening and once I disabled to autosave it actually works like a charm! (though still under evaluation) The autosave frequency could be an explanation to the different "stages of sluggishness" that I am experiencing.

Please continue and share your experiences with this problem. Try out the "disable autosave"-workaround and share your thoughts about it, perhaps we can help Ashley isolate the bug.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:17 am

g3nki wrote:
TheRealDannyyy wrote:I'm not sure about this but I think that autosaving might cause this, at least I enabled it and set it to every 5 min. and this issue for me at least seem to happen about every 5 min. I dont want to say that IT IS the autosave function but it might be? (I will test it and check if it is the autosave to make sure...)

I tried it out this evening and once I disabled to autosave it actually works like a charm! (though still under evaluation) The autosave frequency could be an explanation to the different "stages of sluggishness" that I am experiencing.

Please continue and share your experiences with this problem. Try out the "disable autosave"-workaround and share your thoughts about it, perhaps we can help Ashley isolate the bug.

So I'm pretty sure now it is the autosave function for me at least.
But there is a little more I think I found out about it, in bigger projects it tends to slutter more.
I guess C2 autosave creates some sort of "trash" every time it autosaves the project which leads to more sluggish behavior and freezing. (The more it autosaves in a session the more sluggish it gets)

1. Are you using a compressed .capx or do you save it as a project folder? (In my case project folder)

2. Do you have a dual monitor setup? (just curious about that, maybe C2 has issues with this kind of setup)

P.s. I still cannot explain why minimizing and reopening helps for me at least maybe it leads to some sort of "reset" but I'm not sure about that at the time.
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:11 pm

TheRealDannyyy wrote: So I'm pretty sure now it is the autosave function for me at least. But there is a little more I think I found out about it, in bigger projects it tends to slutter more. I guess C2 autosave creates some sort of "trash" every time it autosaves the project which leads to more sluggish behavior and freezing. (The more it autosaves in a session the more sluggish it gets)

1. Are you using a compressed .capx or do you save it as a project folder? (In my case project folder)

2. Do you have a dual monitor setup? (just curious about that, maybe C2 has issues with this kind of setup)

P.s. I still cannot explain why minimizing and reopening helps for me at least maybe it leads to some sort of "reset" but I'm not sure about that at the time.

Turning off autosave really helped me a lot, I worked with the engine the whole day, and it only froze after exporting the project. The freeze acted very differently than before and probably has nothing to do with the issue mentioned this thread. After autosave, I can see that Steam and Construct is stuck with 0.1MB/s of writes. perhaps it's slowly collecting trash over time? The experience we have would suggest it.

To answer you questions.
1. I'm using a project folder,
2. using both dual monitor setups and single screen, doesn't seem to do any difference.

Still disabling auto-save actually made the software working like a charm again, I won't say that this solves the issue, because it doesn't but it is a very good workaround for me at least. :)
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Closed bugs