Construct becomes sluggish, then freezes after 10-15min

Bugs will be moved here once resolved.

Post » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:05 pm

I sometimes had slowdowns too with the steam version. Will try to deactivate autosaving. No freezes though, just very sluggish interface, which I did not have in the free version not bound to steam - so my recommendation stands to not buy C2 on Steam but instead from scirra directly.
Visual Novel 'Engine' in 100 Events
if you ever have to choose between buying Construct 2 on scirra.com or on Steam, read this: Review
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:01 pm

I seem to be having the same or a very similar issue to that described in this thread. After between 30 minutes and 5 hours of having Construct2 (steam) open, the interface will become extremely sluggish. A simple text entry will take 30 seconds to be processed.

Alt-tabbing out and back in will result in the current interface 'operation' finishing, but the extreme sluggishness persists. Task manager shows no sign of excessive resource usage.
This has persisted across multiple machines and projects for at least the last year. The only way to solve it is to close and reopen steam and Construct2.

I have tried disabling auto-save as suggested by some in this thread, but that hasn't helped.
B
G

Post » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:29 pm

Kalelovil wrote:I seem to be having the same or a very similar issue to that described in this thread. After between 30 minutes and 5 hours of having Construct2 (steam) open, the interface will become extremely sluggish. A simple text entry will take 30 seconds to be processed.

Alt-tabbing out and back in will result in the current interface 'operation' finishing, but the extreme sluggishness persists. Task manager shows no sign of excessive resource usage.
This has persisted across multiple machines and projects for at least the last year. The only way to solve it is to close and reopen steam and Construct2.

I have tried disabling auto-save as suggested by some in this thread, but that hasn't helped.

If you have backups enabled, could you please dissable them and test if that helps you out?
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:37 pm

Disabling backups has not fixed the issue.
B
G

Post » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:12 pm

Kalelovil wrote:Disabling backups has not fixed the issue.

As you can see we did really try out almost everything that is possible.
Since we have no sort of source code from C2 to look through (of course private and only accessible for @Ashley for copyrights etc.)
or any hint towards reproducing the bug, I can only say that we simply have to deal with it until C3 comes out.

(I know that this is will sound a bit mean, but I'm currently dealing with autosaving issues, unexpected audio playback issues and of course this C2 sluggishness so I'd understand if you get kinda frustrated about this. Since there is no clear way to reproduce any of these bugs, hoping for C3 is the only thing what's left for me at least...)
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:28 pm

Just want to add that I have been struggling with this issue for more than a year. Clearly it's some issue with the integration of Construct 2 with Steam. It's not surprising that neither Valve nor Scirra would want to take on the burden of investigating and fixing it, and I totally believe that Valve is mostly unresponsive to developers now that they have so many products on the service. Still, it's unfortunate that no one will help the many customers who have legitimately purchased the software and want to put it to use.

I don't know that I can add anything to the technical conversation, but I will say that it seems to me that it's really the display of the application that becomes sluggish, not the actual operation of it. By which I mean that if I click on anything or scroll my mousewheel it will actually be registered by Construct, but the display doesn't update until after a long delay or if you minimize then maximize the window. Even then, I usually have to bring another fullscreen window up over Construct and dismiss the new window again to get the Construct window to draw normally again. It's gotten so that I can do this process in my sleep, but it's frustrating how often I have to. Turning off autosave seemed to help for me at one point, but it seems less effective than it was at first; maybe there's something else I'm doing that triggers it.

On behalf of Steam Construct 2 users everywhere: I know that Construct 2 is getting further and further in the rear view mirror, and that the Steam application has always been the red-headed stepchild version, but you have a crippling workflow issue being experienced by legitimate customers who paid you a significant amount of money. I think it deserves putting some real effort into it. I'm sure it will take action from both Scirra and Valve to sort it out since clearly the source of the problem isn't obvious, and I know that might be a nigh impossible channel to open and coordinate. But as it is, both companies are letting their customers down.
B
S

Post » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:24 pm

DrDeleto wrote:On behalf of Steam Construct 2 users everywhere: I know that Construct 2 is getting further and further in the rear view mirror, and that the Steam application has always been the red-headed stepchild version, but you have a crippling workflow issue being experienced by legitimate customers who paid you a significant amount of money. I think it deserves putting some real effort into it. I'm sure it will take action from both Scirra and Valve to sort it out since clearly the source of the problem isn't obvious, and I know that might be a nigh impossible channel to open and coordinate. But as it is, both companies are letting their customers down.

I won't rely on Valve at all, they turned into a big cooperate money making machine not giving a frick about their customers or publishers.
(I'm not overreacting, I'm just telling you the facts.)
This problem with Valve's support will always exist and I think they will never change/improve that.

On Scirra's (focus on @Ashley 's) side of things it is a bit "difficult", Ashley himself stated that
he will try to keep up with the maintenance of C2 and maybe add new features under certain circumstances.
So I cannot really blame him if he is not actively working on specific bugfixes, however I think an issue like this
which already exists for more than 2 years cannot just slip through and be ignored.
Even if Ashley's hands are tied and he so far didn't succeed in reproducing this bug, there are always other ways
to gather more helpful information that might lead to the final bugfix to this issue.

---

I know that some people might not agree with the following which is totally fine but I would like to request
a well detailed post with the following information from users who still experience this issue:

• Full list of hardware (specs including driver details)
  • Details about the preferences (autosave turned off, caching off?)
  • List of programs that could cause this issue (virus protection programs, steam ...)
I hope that we can maybe isolate common used programs or drivers and finally fix this bug.
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:57 pm

Here is my part to my previous request (using dxdiag):

Hardware:
  • Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
  • Processor: AMD FX(tm)-4100 Quad-Core Processor, 4 CPUs ~3.6GHz (Overclocked to 4.2GHz)
  • Memory: 8192MB RAM
  • DirectX Version: DirectX 11
  • Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
  • Dedicated Memory: 4026 MB
  • Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz) [2 Monitors in total]
  • Driver Version: 10.18.13.6143
  • Default input: Wireless Keyboard + Mouse
C2 Preferences:
  • C2 (r221) running as Admin
  • Autosave: OFF
  • Backup: ON
  • Cache Icons: ON
  • Theme: Office 2010 Silver
Additional Information:
  • C2: Steam Version (Personal), Steam Overlay OFF
  • Virus protection: Avira Antivirus
  • Always Active Online Connection
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:24 pm

Hi guys!

I just made a new observation. Ever since I reinstalled Windows 10 Pro on my desktop computer (core i5 4670K, 16GB RAM, GTX960), as well as Construct 2 being auto-updated to version 212 (Edit: 221). I haven't had any issues with sluggishness. I even have auto-save activated nowadays. I would like to test this on my laptop as well, but unfortunately it is still away on repairs.

I will get back to you all. Anybody else feel improvement in version 212 (Edit: 221)?
Last edited by g3nki on Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently working on "Unsung" - an open world platform adventure for PC and Consoles. follow me on Instagram :D
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:28 pm

Did you mean r221 or really the old version of C2? :)
Well for me everything is the same.
The sluggishness seems to occur with large projects only I think, at least on my end it does.
The audio playback and autosaving issues also only seem to occur with larger projects but those are different cases.

Anyway, @g3nki nice that you found a way to fix the issues on your end, but reinstalling windows doesn't seem to be a valid solution for me.
There is a bug somewhere that has to be found and fixed and I neither want to reinstall my whole operating system or wait for C3 to be released.

At last I would like to ask a question to @Ashley about C2's theme system:
Do different themes have any impact on the performance of C2?
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Closed bugs