construct docs

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:06 am

I think your tutorials for the absolute beginner are a great service TheInstance. I think you should add the final version of them to the wiki.
B
G

Post » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:07 pm

I can not add this to the wiki,

for several reasons.

For one, my english looks childish and foolish.

For two, ik take a very personal aproach to some things. And i am aware that they can not be the official statement of the makers of construct. The way i aproach pick-conditions and flow-conditions could even be contraversial.

For 3, There is, besides showing the great things and calling them great, also honest critic on the program, i think there is no place for that in the wiki.

for 4, some critic is only true for the current release, every new release seems to tackle more and more on my critical points.

For that last reason, any wiki will be made to soon, maybe.

Although i desperatly miss guides on how to use the things in the present wiki.

There is a good wiki about expressions, but it laks the essential info on how to acess the expressions.

There is a wiki about conditions, but neither the pick-conditions are explained, and its lacking the essential guide on how to copy, select events, select conditions, actions, move them, delete them, and so on ...

I still do not know how to use containers. If i make a container containing 2 objects, and move one, the other stays in place. And yet i feel that containers are essential.

I dont understand yet the "include event" thingy. Although it should make a lot things easyer.
Look at the *dumb* way i just copied event sheets to differend layouts in my pac-man example.

so,

for 5, i dont know for sure that i choose the best solutions in my explinations yet ! There for it can not be in the wiki.

But i do think that structure, the flow, the order i bring new things in that post is right. I do think that it is correct to start with the system object and its flow conditions. move to basical movemet by behaviours, move to pick-conditions and so on .....
So yes i do think some one can take it as base to write a practical wiki.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:08 pm

I see your point. But we could add a link from the wiki to your thread under external site/resources. This way someone reading the wiki is more likely to find it and your tutorials can maintain their unofficial style. It's easy for things to get lost on the forum so any help for new users in finding any and all documentation available I think is important. Like you said it could also be used as a starting point. Sure your English is not perfect but it is understandable which is what matters most and someone else can clean it up the wording and grammar. Well I just wanted to share my appreciation :)
B
G

Post » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:12 am

your input is appreciated ty
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:01 am

General Note :

There is a difference between by instance Photoshop and Constuct in the learning process.

Come here an i teach you Photoshop in 2 days. Its purpose is to alter a pixel, and its "editors" to do so is rather limited. The results are are rather instantly, even if u trow some filters on a pile.

Construct is different in this way.

Everything you do,
from choosing between a square sprite and a Box
till positioning an object on a grid or slightly besides it
using "s or 's
everything has its place in the in the final result,
but you can not see it with beginners eyes.

Learning Photoop is like old school, if it dont work, you get a instant snap on the fingers.
Learning Construct is like, if it dont work, you will be bitten in the butt much later, after you forget what exactly you have done.

Everything depends on everything to work or not.

I dont think i can be short in explaining something in Construct.
Moment you start, you should be as complete as possible,
or
define to where you go.

And both will bring you in writing a serious book. Just like you just did.

And on top, there is no standard approach to things. All the people in this group are still figuring out an approach, a very personal one too at the moment.

A lot of things work, some dont. Whats the cause ? Is it my fault ? Is it a flaw in construct ? Did i choose the right way to do this ? Is there a work around ? How will i do this in the next version ? Is it possible to write my own plug in ? Construct is not finished yet.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:44 am

I am not saying you aproach this wrong.

I am the one who should have said after every line i wrote in my tutorial "but i could be wrong"

I am saying : i do not agree with you on certain things.

Like sizing the sensor to zero is not a good general rule to give to beginners. It will not sense moving objects, and certainly not objects moved by a behavior.
But yes its a good trick to be rememberd by more advanced users.

I think there should be 3 things.

1/ a beginners guide.
This will be a long book, forcing people to start out where you want them to start out. Every step explained. It will not have a "content table"

2/ a clean how to.
This will be shorter. Clean and PRACTICAL. It will have a content table. And its searchable. Like how to add an event to the sheet. Add a sprite to an object. Its should work as a shoulder to lean peoples memory on.

3/ a reference.
Every menu, every condition, every button, every action, every expression etc ....
Explained in 2/3 lines. Deep indexed.

And the first thing that has to be done is "identify" the modal beginner. What do we think he/she knows when picking up construct. When i wrote that long ass guide, i had the most *dumb* user in mind, to do this i talked to myself.

Identify the "average" user for the "how to".

Also keep in mind that some starters come from using another program. Or even a program language. Everything this user knows is a handicap. Fresh users only have oppurtunitys. *Used* users first need to forget. So if you really want to place Construct in the market, you have to guide starters coming from another program in forgetting.

And i go back to work.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:29 pm

ty for the help
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:07 pm

^5

Now lets encourage the poeple that are working on it. I saw in an other post, some one started a "reference". Wich pleases me very much.

Can i encourage you to start something ?

I just keep writing my ideas down and down. In the best english i can (lol @ me).
Currently i am building the whole sensor story, i dont know if you noticed,
and yes without explaining every step, wich dont feel well.

I have no idea how long the pictures will be up though.

After "the Zombie", the "Ghost", i just need a name for a Sensor build out of 4 sensors. Once i got that name i continue. I cant without naming things.

Dude i had hell when i started with construct. No documentation. Not much help. And only wanted to make a Tetris for my girl that does not speed up in levels.

Adventialy i made it in game maker 7, the free limited version.

Then i came back to brag, i have to admid that. But also to notice that there was a new version in short time that (with some work arounds) allowed me to make it in construct. Now some versions further, i could (and should) remake it without ANY workarround.

At the moment Construct bites my ass, and i cant let it go.

Things move faster then you can write them down. But yes maybe now is the time to start documenting, this why i allready started, good or bad, its a start. Can only gain more users, more ideas, more flows, more Construct.

And i do have the feeling things are having a good turn. When i asked about containers. Ashley used exact the words, the terms and the way i explained things. And that was a big sign to keep gooin.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:02 pm

TheInstacne! WHATTA HELL! AWSOME! :o I'm really really impressed with your work on the tutorials! i mean, thinking of your aproach to the forums when you first came here, AND the way we behaived too! I mean, we didn't really get along well! But now look at this! WOW! You've changed man! And i guess we have changed too :D
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:29 am

I would be willing to be a proof-reader or spellchecker for whoever makes the tutorials in the future. :D Serious.
B
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct Classic Discussion