Construct games limits

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:24 pm

Greetings Constructors.

I heard construct's limit is imagination. In spite of that, Construct games I have seen are platformers or top-view shooter/walker types.

I also heard - one year ago -, creating bigger games can be painful with construct. May be that is the reason that there are very few finished games and they're so similar to each other?

Would be fine to find original games, or of other genres like RTS, etc.
These functionalities are built in Construct, why can't we see them implemented?

When will CC or C2 be mature enough to use all the built-in features?

bye and ave.
B
G

Post » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:17 pm

[QUOTE=ldmn]
In spite of that, Construct games I have seen are platformers or top-view shooter/walker types.[/QUOTE]
You won't see many other genres in similar programs either. RTS games are kinda pointless unless you have online play, and imo are horrible in 2D, not to mention incredibly complicated to make. RPGs are also incredibly complicated; I've seen like...2 successful/completed RPGs made in programs like Construct. There are a few racing, puzzle, and shmup games made in Construct as well..ya just gotta look for them!
[QUOTE=ldmn]Would be fine to find original games, or of other genres like RTS, etc.
These functionalities are built in Construct, why can't we see them implemented?[/QUOTE]
There is an RTS movement behavior, sure, but you need a lot more than that to actually make an RTS game..That's not to say they aren't possible to make, just that people generally aren't willing to put so much work into a niche game.
[QUOTE=ldmn]When will CC or C2 be mature enough to use all the built-in features?[/QUOTE]
I don't understand what you mean; all of the default behaviors you get with Construct Classic are completed and ready to go. Construct 2, however..who knows :)Tokinsom2011-08-11 16:25:29
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:34 pm

[QUOTE=ldmn]Would be fine to find original games, or of other genres like RTS, etc.[/QUOTE]

Not very relevant criticism here, the first topic in "your creations" is a blackjack, second is a platformer, third a tank game, then a 3d rts, following an animation engine...

http://www.scirra.com/forum/your-creations_forum32.html

Else... is it me, or do we get a lot of users trying to start flamewars lately?sved2011-08-11 16:35:44
...but this is mostly psychological. Check my devlog
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:01 pm

I don't think he's trying to start a flamewar, I think he's simply not as familiar with a lot of the stuff that's come out. I'm working on an RPG, was working on a shmup, an action platformer, a bunch of other ideas, and made a small music player and a painting program.

If you want something different/unusual, there's quazi's thumb war game. There is other stuff out there - the problem is games take a long time to make!

My opinion stands, CC is usable as it is, though it can be tricky at times working around its quirks.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:27 am

You have to remember most of the plugs that come with Construct Classic are very basic, and the reason for that is that if they add to much, they add the risk of locking a user into a certain type of a certain genre, and that's something the devs wanted to avoid.
So basically yeah the limit is your imagination, but then again everything has its drawbacks.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:09 am

Yeah, remember the time needed for huge projects! A group of ten to twenty developers might be able to get a full-featured rpg done in 2-3 years. Now Construct developers mostly work in much smaller teams - if not alone. But Construct doesn't exist that long - about 4 years.

If you're missing a professional rts - why don't you give it a try and be the first one to present it, Idmn?

I'm looking forward to it - let's meet again in a year?
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:21 am

[QUOTE=Tokinsom] RTS games are kinda pointless unless you have online play, and imo are horrible in 2D, not to mention incredibly complicated to make.[/QUOTE]

For online, this is true but thanks to SciDave's online plugin there is starting to be a point in making one.

Command and Conquer was best before it went 3D.

They are complicated to make though, this will probably remain true when making a good RTS is attempted sadly =/Jayjay2011-08-12 01:22:09
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (maybe)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:11 pm

I have to agree with his main point - it's significantly harder to make a game with a significantly more complex genre than the other games (RPGs are going to be much more complicated than a shooter). Of course, the lack of a developed scripting system (and don't get me started on integrating events and Python) and not-so-great support with data structures (whaddaya mean, you have to set array elements in the Event Sheet!?) make technical stuff a lot more interesting.

Still, the only real limitations to making more complex games in Construct are time and effort. Making an RTS or an RPG would be harder than making a shooter or platformer in any engine - Game Maker, Unity, the Unreal Development Kit. You gotta work hard, and you gotta work hard for a while, but it's possible.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:00 pm

[QUOTE=TheBen] Of course, the lack of a developed scripting system (and don't get me started on integrating events and Python) [/quote]
just want to take a moment to double disagree.
I made a stable multithousand line/event scripted thingy animator at one point, prior to alot of rojo's recent python tweaks and fixes. like all construct you have to learn the particulars of using it, but the scripting is very powerful. the second reason for disagreeing is scripting is actually not needed in construct to make almost any game. it's when you want to do something weird like drag and drop images onto your game or something, and there isn't a plugin for it yet.

as to the original post:
if you search for anything made by quazi, tokinsom, davioware, konjak, pyteo, zotged, arsonide, saint11, or mary jane for some of the more polished stuff. also, arima's rpg, if you can hunt down vids of that, to see more polished stuff. in that list you'll find a few different genres ranging from rpg, to infinite world space sim, to 3d thumbfighting, to shmup, to topdown survival horror.

i think the previous answers were correct though. construct is very very young. it's been around for 4 years someone said? id say most active users haven't been here since the beginning, so factor the time it takes for them to get comfortable enough to tackle a large project, then either the time to tackle it alone, or build a team. so I think we're right around target :)

also, I know a few of the aforementioned folks have been working on that killer game for a long time now. but definitely don't take it as construct being unable to handle it. the ide itself definitely has some kinks and quirks to work out, but it's superpowerful and flexible. I would say most 2d games out could have been created with construct, with the exception of vector graphics based games, assuming the user(s) had the time, and artists.

edit:
[quote]not-so-great support with data structures (whaddaya mean, you have to set array elements in the Event Sheet[/quote]
I believe there's a visual array editor someone made at one point. also not sure the limitations of the competitors in this area to be honest. but, you can use python for c-like data structures, and/or the s plugin lucid2011-08-13 00:18:44
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:45 am

What is a "shmup"? Slang for "shoot 'em up" or something else?

=========
Christian, ninja, warrior, Borg, Time Lord... I am that hero! GSPforChrist2011-08-14 00:46:07
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct Classic Discussion