Construct-ing big(huge) RTS games, some questions.

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
10 isometric and animated Strategy Game Buildings in two Colors.
  • Hi, I discover "Construct" yestarday, today trying for first time. Congratulations

I have a question. I spent a many years learning Gamemaker. I am not a programmer but with heavy working made my RTS. It was heavy and I am still in remaking process. Each sprite in Gamemaker eats a lot of RAM so I found a way to change any sprite/sound that is not in use with empty one. This is a nightmare.

What about making big RTS with Constructor? I mean 2d RTS like AOE 2 - animated sprites, sounds. According to my calculations with Gamemaker this will require about 3 gb of RAM and more. Is there an option to load/disload sprites in Constructor?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • The important thing in Construct is that it's hardware accelerated, so you're more likely to run out of memory on the graphics card (VRAM) when it fills up with textures. Construct has options to control the loading and unloading of textures on a layout-by-layout basis, so as long as you're careful and don't import large, 100-frame animations, you should be fine. I've spent some time trying to make the runtime as efficient as possible, so it shouldn't waste memory or CPU power. I don't know how it compares to GameMaker though, since I haven't used it much.

Also, I'd definitely advise you try some smaller projects before you get going with big ones - you might need the experience of how things work in Construct.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)