Construct Limits

For questions about using Classic.

Post » Fri May 04, 2012 11:02 pm

[QUOTE=Dima111] Jayjay,
A bit simplier question)))

I have 25 destroyers that are alike each other and every destroyer has 1 (suppose) gun. So all 25 guns can be instances of a single GunSprite. Am I right?

To differ the 25 instances from each other need I to create for my GunSprite the PV "Ship name" and after "Create" to write in the Instance PV - AAAA, BBBB, CCCC etc?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely, you can match them up with a private variable on each (eg: "ShipNumber" on ship and on GunSprite, then have conditions saying "GunSprite: Value "ShipNumber" = Ship.value('ShipNumber')" and then do positioning events)

Or you can use containers. Add the GunSprite object into the container of Ship in the object properties (in layout editor), and whenever you create one of the objects its pair will be created too. Plus, any event relating to one Ship object will automatically refer to its specific GunSprite too!

Edit: Careful with containers, if you destroy one of the objects in a container their pairs are destroyed too, same with creation. However, each group of objects (Ship and GunSprite) will act separately from other groups.Jayjay2012-05-04 23:03:14
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (maybe)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 04, 2012 11:32 pm

Great! Really great!
At least I can kill 1200 text objects! And to create them when it nescessary forexmpl - by picking the ship name in the combobox...
B

Post » Fri May 04, 2012 11:35 pm

Awesome, glad to hear it's working =] and yup, you can create objects by Name too!
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (maybe)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 04, 2012 11:39 pm

Yes, I saw that function, but was not sure, that it appropriates the name to object - I thought that it creates the object from another named in the manner. If it is so - the PV with the ship name is no longer nescessary! Dima1112012-05-04 23:39:44
B

Post » Fri May 04, 2012 11:45 pm

Jayjay,
Your help is really inappreciable! I will remake the game. Of course it will take some time, but the way I've started with I know for sure is an impasse. Now I will try another one you've tought me.
B

Post » Sat May 05, 2012 12:01 am

[QUOTE=Dima111] Jayjay,
Your help is really inappreciable! I will remake the game. Of course it will take some time, but the way I've started with I know for sure is an impasse. Now I will try another one you've tought me.[/QUOTE]

Glad to help Dima111 =] Good luck!
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 05, 2012 2:31 am

[QUOTE=konjak]Also, Arima, if you've once had event sheets that take MINUTES to open, I probably have no serious memory leak issues to worry about for quite a long while, haha. Nothing I've opened in Construct has taken me longer than a second or two.[/QUOTE]

@konjak - I think that's a separate issue actually. I think the memory leak itself is restricted to the image editor, the number of objects, the number of objects in a layout and possibly the number of animation frames in those objects. The event sheet taking 10 minutes to load seems to be completely unrelated. :/ It doesn't even make much sense, because the event sheet that takes 10 minutes to open is about 6000 events, and yet another event sheet with almost 2000 events takes 5 seconds to open. I have no idea what's going on there, but it seemed to take longer after having tried to split that event sheet up into multiple smaller event sheets, and then recombining them.
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 05, 2012 4:33 am

May be I have some idea.
I frmed my characters by copiyng a file and renaming the sprites. But in some cases some sprites were unnescessary. And I deleted them, but now I suppose that the events that were to be deleted as well just dissappeared from view, having nothing to be based on, but were not deleted from the programm. I remade the characters in that manner at least 12 times. And those "broken" informational pieces are pretty in within - I have met such effect in MS Access DB.
B

Post » Sat May 05, 2012 5:37 am

[QUOTE=Dima111]I have met such effect in MS Access DB.[/QUOTE]

I'm don't believe Construct Classic has the same problem, but I can vouch that Access does this. When you delete data it is never actually removed, I've seen someone re-create their data so many times that their database got to 1GB without very many data records visible.
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 05, 2012 7:21 am

@konjak @Jayjay - Actually, I think @Dima111 is right! I tried it with a blank .cap - 6,674 bytes, created a sprite, added a condition for the sprite, then deleted the sprite, which deleted the condition automatically and resaved - the resulting .cap is 6,954 bytes! Deleting the event first and then the sprite instead results in 6,697 bytes.

It would appear both ways that construct is not cleaning up after itself properly. Thanks for the idea Dima111, I had been wondering what caused that for ages!

@lucid @R0J0hound if either of you happen to work on CC again, any chance of this bug getting fixed? And though I realize that this might not be something you can devote the time to doing, you have no idea how much nicer it would be for me working on loot pursuit if you could get it to also clean up the garbage that was left from previous versions so I didn't have to wait 7 seconds every time I edited something on that event sheet! ^^
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Help & Support using Construct Classic