Construct / multimedia fusion / game maker ?

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:12 pm

[quote:2h7zixmu]as a plugin developer, I don't think you can develop plugins to make construct more stable, only more powerful and easy to use. basically any feature construct doesn't already have that you'd like to add, you can make a plugin for[/quote:2h7zixmu]

Well a more stable plugin could be created if another plugin seems unstable.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:08 pm

[quote="Valerien":j00dceoi]Can construct create add-on exe files ?[/quote:j00dceoi]
add-on exe files?
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:17 pm

Did you mean Add on exe's aka patches or dl content.Like adding extra characters through updates or extra level add ons etc...The best way to find out which program will work the best is by testing it yourself,Write down the positive and the negative aspects of each program.Then choose the one which has the most positive aspects for the type of game you want to create.

Im using 10 different programs and each has it's up's and down's.Personally i think the good old C+ or C++ programming works the best , But it's very time consuming and often very frustrating.Choose a program which is best suited for you and your programmer.I have chosen Construct for all my 2d projects because i can create complicated games in a fraction of the time compared to c+ and c++.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:41 pm

[quote="lucid":20e4nus4]I don't think complexity must be avoided, it just becomes more quirky. Not like "OK, gotta take that out of the game", more like "OK, guess we'll have to do it this way" instead of the other way. both ways have the same result, just one might trigger said glitch, the other is fine[/quote:20e4nus4]

This is my experience to the letter.

[quote="lucid":20e4nus4]Keep in mind Arsonide is a developer of a procedural space game with infinite (for all practical purposes) universe, that had moved away to try out Unity, and come back to Construct with continual updates on the development to his game for the last several months. Seems a large investment of time for something if he was so sure it wasn't going to work in the end. I don't think he was trying to deceive you, just warn you that stability is an issue at times. It's just the analogies he used seem to indicate it's impossible to work with construct without it all ending in disaster, which I personally disagree with.[/quote:20e4nus4]

Well, I'm using .91 for my project, and am too paranoid to upgrade the cap to .96. That said, I'm like a year behind on the updates, which explains my experience with stability. :P

Construct isn't UNSTABLE, by any means. I'm just saying, it does have it's quirks and I've learned to live with them. Its power certainly outweighs them.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:36 pm

Haven't used MMF, but I have Game Maker, and as Lucid said GM isn't even in the same class.
If I were to continue the comparison in metaphor I would say GM is a program with a front end like a bike with training wheels, and the back end like an eighteen wheeler.
Obviously a huge learning curve in between.

On the other side of that I would compare Construct to a hot rod in the making, put together by a couple of shade tree mechanics. Now in this case the front end, is just about as powerful as the back end, even though its pretty much street legal, it still needs a lot of work.

Both programs can have seemingly random crashes, like just about any other program out there.
But unlike most closed software out there, if you can identify the problem, there's a good chance it will get fixed in Construct.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:11 am

Well, I'm testing the soft, and the premade movements are quite cool. The programmer seems to like it, so we'll see like in 2 or 3 weeks.

Thank you all for your answers ;). I'll personally use construct for a personnal 2d a-rpg project (really small, ~10 min of gameplay).
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:09 am

here is my comparison based on my experience with the 3 programs.

[u:c0ct0fjr]Game Maker 8: [/u:c0ct0fjr]
[u:c0ct0fjr]strengths :[/u:c0ct0fjr]
1.it's not as limited as people claim. I've there are a lot of good games made with it.
2.GML(Game Maker language) is rather easy. definitely easier then Python.
3.all events and actions are object based. meaning that, you don't need to reprogram the object for every room,layout or frame.
4.all resources are kept in the project file
5. *has a built in save function

[u:c0ct0fjr]weakness:[/u:c0ct0fjr]
1.it attracts a lot of noob and 8 year olds because of it's easy to use DnD system .
1a. the site(yoyogames) if full garbage that out numbers and obscures most of the decent and better games. can be avoided by posting games on the gmc(Game Maker community ) instead.
1b.noobs can't take constructive criticism.
2. not so long ago a person released a decompiler for Game maker 8 which can take an EXE and convert it back into a GMK . however some one also made an anti-decompiler which works.
2b. anti-decompiler isn't very easy to find by that i mean it's not in the game maker download page
3.yoyogames has yet to address this issue. there are to busy with there yoyostore.
4. games eat up a lot of ram
*5. the save function doesn't work good if you save during a level
6. most extension are useless.
7.GML can be come a bit hard later on

[u:c0ct0fjr]The Games Factory 2/Multimedia Fusion 2/Developer[/u:c0ct0fjr]
1. Games consume much less ram and space.
2.most resources are kept in the project file.
3.does not have any written programing language.
4. has good extensions .
5. some tasks such parallax are much easier in MMF2 then in game maker.
6. has useful easier objects that game maker has alternatives to.
7. doesn't attract as much noobs
[u:c0ct0fjr]weakness[/u:c0ct0fjr]
1. expensive even the most simplest edition TGF2 cost about 56 bucks the developer edition cost over 200 bucks .
2.lack a drawing event which is something i need for a series of games.

[u:c0ct0fjr]Construct:[/u:c0ct0fjr]
1. everything i said about multimedia fusion 2.
with addition of
2.bugs get fixed a lot faster
3. is free
4. all extension are useful and work.
5.all games upload here so far are good with effort put to them .
6.the behavior system is superior to MMF2's.

[u:c0ct0fjr]weakness[/u:c0ct0fjr]
1. some resources such as sound and music aren't kept in the project file
2.you"ll need multiple sound objects in order to play sound FX simultaneously with music.
-the end-
also I"m planing to make a game with Construct. but, i"m a bad artist and even worst at making music. that's the only thing preventing me from using construct.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:44 am

[quote:3i6kitfa]weakness
1. some resources such as sound and music aren't kept in the project file[/quote:3i6kitfa]
Um..
This is actually a strength. Makes it much easier to share caps.
Sounds and music added from resources are included in the exe.
You can load anything you need from an external source, and (via plugin) you can package anything with it as well.

[quote:3i6kitfa]2.you"ll need multiple sound objects in order to play sound FX simultaneously with music.[/quote:3i6kitfa]

Might want to take a look at the wiki on channels in the xaudio2 object.
There's like up to 64 channels so that should not be an issue.

I will say the object's use is an issue.
Its very confusing for new people.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:12 am

One other thing that I call a weakness for Construct is the lack of making folders for objects, it get's harder to have multiple enemies objects and you cannot store them in a folder and I wish they will take care of that soon, it helps finding multiple objects much easier.

Also don't prevent yourself from using Construct just because you're not an artist, I am not one either but I still tend to create my own sprites (which as you can guess are not high quality) and make a game with them, I haven't released anything about my project yet and I can't work on it now either, I don't have time but I do tend to release something someday.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:24 pm

Whether you like sounds and music embedded within the file or not is a matter of preference and necessity. I prefer MMF2's way of handling that myself, and dislike Construct's way, but that's about the only thing I like about MMF2.

The problem with MMF2 for me is that, while I learned it well enough, I just feel like a number of things are made a bit more complicated than they need to be. The things I can do in Construct very easily required some more detail in MMF2 and it just seemed like overkill. I also hate MMF2's event system. It's hard to explain but it feels outdated to me. Construct's event system just reads better to me. The event setup in Construct is just straightforward, no nonsense, no BS, the way an event system should be.

As for Gamemaker... I can't stand it.

Construct is like the promising rookie who's having a great season so far. He makes mistakes along the way, but he plays well enough to stay on the field and help his team win. I truly believe that if things keep going upward as they are, Construct can be better than all of them when it's all said and done.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct Classic Discussion