Construct / multimedia fusion / game maker ?

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:24 pm

Whether you like sounds and music embedded within the file or not is a matter of preference and necessity. I prefer MMF2's way of handling that myself, and dislike Construct's way, but that's about the only thing I like about MMF2.

The problem with MMF2 for me is that, while I learned it well enough, I just feel like a number of things are made a bit more complicated than they need to be. The things I can do in Construct very easily required some more detail in MMF2 and it just seemed like overkill. I also hate MMF2's event system. It's hard to explain but it feels outdated to me. Construct's event system just reads better to me. The event setup in Construct is just straightforward, no nonsense, no BS, the way an event system should be.

As for Gamemaker... I can't stand it.

Construct is like the promising rookie who's having a great season so far. He makes mistakes along the way, but he plays well enough to stay on the field and help his team win. I truly believe that if things keep going upward as they are, Construct can be better than all of them when it's all said and done.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:21 pm

Don't be fooled by everyone comparing GML in gamemaker to python in construct, they're completely different things, and ill tell you why.

GML is in the form of a written language, and has syntax, because of that people are quick to act as if its a real language, with the real power of a language and... its not. The power you can get out of GML is the same as what you can get out of construct events, in fact for the machine its doing the same thing to go through construct events as its doing to go through GML scripts, which only means the stuff is harder to edit, read and overall use compared to construct. Events are the same as using GML and making calls, except you dont need to write individual little things and have to worry about syntax errors in the sheet, and you dont need to memorize every single call/action/condition for every object, theres an easy to use list. Plugins or ".dll"s which game maker uses are the exact same thing in use as a plugin in construct would be through events, it has actions, conditions, expressions, etc that you can use through "scripting" (events).

So basically, construct events are usable in the same way as GML script, except in an easier way. I would even go so far as to say their BETTER because they seem to run much faster and better than any Game Maker stuff I've seen, which is overall generally laggy and glitchy.

So: in a construct comparison: GML<Events, "Game Maker DnD"= shit, Python= actual programming language where you can use REAL libraries that run using REAL script, but entirely unnecessary for most users even advanced users unless you really need something thats not possible using events.

MMF is a good program, but construct is a lot better, and its free.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:33 pm

Sorry, but I find Game Maker's framework infinitely times easier to work with than Construct's. And while GML doesn't even have a fraction of python's power, it feels very integrated to Game Maker where python currently feels attached to Construct with scotch tape.

Also, I disagree that GML is completely inferior Construct's event sheets. While it may be easier to figure out how to do something with event sheets the first time, if you understand GML's syntax and functions then it's much faster to code something with GML than use event sheets.

Game Maker will never touch Construct's performance and extensibility though.
B
G

Post » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:46 pm

I find Gimp's interface infinitely easier than Photoshop's, and that's because I know it.
Likewise I often hear those who try to migrate to Gimp complain that it's interface is hard to understand, they then ask if they can make it more like Photoshop, even though it couldn't make any difference in it's actual performance.

The same thing has happened here.
Scripting might be easier for those used to it, but when it comes down to it, a plug is just a better solution.
Image Image
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct Classic Discussion