Construct's version of Daily Click

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
From the Asset Store
High quality sound effect pack, in the following categories: Simple, negative, pozitive
  • The program is excellent and Ashley's doing an excellent job, keeping it updated. In my opinion it's a bit like youtube vs google video. (Before the take-over). I considered google video superior, yet youtube remains the most successful because of its massive user database.

In order to get Construct well known, it requires a proper website to show off the games that people make. People make games for others to play and by choosing the Daily Click and Clickteam's products, their game gets far more publicity. (Then again, the Daily Click sucks because everybody on there prefers, say, a bat and ball game to an epic RPG adventure... but that's another story).

I'm pretty sure that most of you are aware of this and I'm not sure what can be done for Construct to gain ground. It needs a winning game, something which cannot be done on clickteam's products. The physics are easier to implement in Construct and the hardware acceleration is better... though if anything will persuade people to make games on construct, I think it'll have to be something like 3D, or very easy networking options for multi-player games. Just my ideas.

• It have:

-Built in 360 degree movements

-Pixel Shader support

-Script Feature

-GPL license

-Free

Its pretty much better than MMF2

Edit: [quote:3he2tq1d]I think it'll have to be something like 3D

Umm 3D Box object?

• Last I heard TDC said they would take Construct games, they just wouldn't be eligible for GOTW.

A portal for Construct games would be nice, though. Once there are some, you know, games.

It have:

-Some stuff

It has way more than that, Doppel.

• Sorry i meant what are biggest differences between ClickTeam software and Construct

• No, what I meant was it's even better than you're saying.

• I don't think this is anything for construct to worry about. I'd expect communities like the daily click to happen naturally when the number of people using construct reaches a certain point. That point inst going to happen until at least version 1.0 is released.

I still don't think clickteam community is so great, not after how many years, 10? Not compared to programs like game maker.

• It have:

-Built in 360 degree movements

-Pixel Shader support

-Script Feature

-GPL license

-Free

Its pretty much better than MMF2

Edit: [quote:1t4yvgar]I think it'll have to be something like 3D

Umm 3D Box object?

Yet, it's a beta.

• Firstly, I don't think we have any substantial finished games made with Construct yet, but hopefully we will see some in the near future.

This thread seems to imply there is some kind of power struggle between MMF and Construct. To me, there isn't, not in the market sense (Construct is free so is not competing for sales), nor in who can get most users, biggest community etc. I'm just here to write software in my spare time, and I reckon all these problems will be taken care of by the simple fact Construct is good If it's genuinely useful, free and powerful, people will end up using it and having communities anyway. Still, I get a kick out of knowing lots of people are/would be using Construct, so I guess it does form part of the reason I do all this, heh.

At the end of the day, I don't care about Clickteam, what happens to them, or how their products compare to ours. I'm only interested in how good I can make Construct.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Well spoken Ashley. Recruiting people isn't really important now. People will try to make a game, run in to a bug, and go back to whatever they used before. After 1.0 the word will spread by itself, and the community will start to grow.

• I don't think my post actually ever got through after all that... sigh. Well, I'll try again...

I'm just saying that although Construct does contain 3D box, it is too limited for people who use MMF2 etc to switch. A large number of people are joining Daily Click because of the community and familiarity. Construct can' just expect for loads of people to switch to Construct because it's slightly more flexible.

I know you're all going to pick holes in my words, but I'm split at the moment. I don't want to make games in both construct and mmf2, I've got mmf2, I might as well use it. Construct has better hardware support and physics, as well as long term prospects if the 3D feature gets going properly. However, I want to make games, I'm more familiar with click products. Also, there's a larger number of people who will play Click games. Though Construct's members are far better 'quality' if you know what I mean.

What ever. I'm just telling you what situation I'm in as there will probably be more people in the same situation, sitting on the fence, wondering which product to start / carry on using. I'm not here to 'diss' a product. Just thought you'd like somebody elses opinion on the matter.

• Well nobody should expect an unfinished, or really I should say, unstable (since Construct's still below 1.0) product to be better than a completed second version of a commercial product that has since been patched and updated multiple times...

Give it time... There's bugs to work out, features being added with each release. The community gets to submit ideas and if so inclined, make features and plugins for Construct. (Tomorrow, I'll go and get Visual Studio installed on my laptop again... Mainly because I want a scrollbar plugin...)

Construct has the potential to become better than anyone is imagining at this point, and some of us feel already that it's really awesome already... It's kinda like Firefox 1.0 vs Firefox 3.0... I didn't expect much from the 3.0 (Beta) release of Firefox but I was impressed with it's increased speed, feature set, and bug fixes.

Once it stabilizes some, then it would be more reasonable for Construct to start adding some radical new features since it's easier to fix problems when they're caused by the new features, and not from some bug that should have been fixed a long time ago...

I know where you're coming from, but I don't think it's ready yet for something like that just yet...

• I just want to interject something here...

Construct has better hardware support and physics,

Yo, check this out:

My First Skydiving Academy

Physics in MMF. One of the most polished MMF games I've ever seen, too. It's damn near flawless.

MMF might have it's physics drawbacks, but so does Construct. MMF can do per-pixel stuff, whereas Construct can't. It's likely there will always be differences like that between the two, causing people to waffle on which one they want.

So if it's a matter of sitting on the fence, well... go with MMF for now. It is more viable. It's a much more complete product, and hence a more logical choice for game development at the moment. The time you spend mulling over which product to use you could spend instead on creating something cool.

Other than that, I agree with ssbfalcon. Just give it time. It'll all come together eventually.

• I was actually never able to understand MMF's interface. And I think Construct is generally easier to use. Yep, I love it, so I'm sticking with it.

• I was actually never able to understand MMF's interface. And I think Construct is generally easier to use. Yep, I love it, so I'm sticking with it.

While I eventually got it down somewhat, I never got over the annoying fact that you have to scroll back and forth in a spreadsheet to hunt for your objects and hover over some little checkmarks to see what your events are, so agreed 100%. Construct is hella easier to use.

And I'm sticking with it for now because I don't have any of my deadly-serious projects ready to go yet, and I don't have the skillset to start them, so they can wait along with 1.0. It seems that Construct and I are developing at a similar rate, so by the time 1.0 is ready, I'll be about ready to start on a major project.

• I just want to interject something here...

> Construct has better hardware support and physics,

>

Yo, check this out:

My First Skydiving Academy

Physics in MMF. One of the most polished MMF games I've ever seen, too. It's damn near flawless.

MMF might have it's physics drawbacks, but so does Construct. MMF can do per-pixel stuff, whereas Construct can't. It's likely there will always be differences like that between the two, causing people to waffle on which one they want.

So if it's a matter of sitting on the fence, well... go with MMF for now. It is more viable. It's a much more complete product, and hence a more logical choice for game development at the moment. The time you spend mulling over which product to use you could spend instead on creating something cool.

Other than that, I agree with ssbfalcon. Just give it time. It'll all come together eventually.

You're forgetting the main thing :

Compare Construct 1.0 to MMF 2 without extensions.

Construct 1.0 wins so much.

MMF2 has extensions, but Construct supports them too! So it's up to the community to create whatever they need, a pixel physics? Other stuff? All possible with plugins.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)