Construct2 a short opinion.

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:14 pm

i will sound a bit cynic but my quad core lg 4x hd using a tegra 3 chip now sells for less than 200e. if someone cannot afford a phone in this price range i highly doubt they will spend any money buying a game.and if they do it will be angry birds...
so in my opinion performance is starting to be a non significant factor.
the problem lies in available customer income vs quality of a game.
look at ios vs android sales.if you can decode the reason behind the numbers it all makes sense considering the fact that are many times more android phones out there. ios phones cost in general 3 times more than the average android phone( emerging consumer countries like china ,india etc sell the under 150$ models by millions)meaning that their owner probably has a better financial background and thus will spend more money in software.
and in the end of the day if you only had a budget of lets say 15$ for games ,what games would you buy? ray-man jungle run or our game?
but if you had a budget of 100$ then you would try and find that hidden jewel somewhere in the store.
so,from a business point of view it does not make sense to target lower spec devices .they don't spend money anyways so why bother?

B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:26 pm

[QUOTE=Roccinio] i will sound a bit cynic but my quad core lg 4x hd using a tegra 3 chip now sells for less than 200e.
[/QUOTE]

Exactly this, you nailed it. For In-App purchases or buying games, there's not much incentive to develop games specifically targeting older devices. But if you use adverts as a stream of income, then you must cater to as many devices as possible. Free game + Ads need a much wider reach, even if cheap people on older stuff won't buy it, at least they play it.

As we move forward, performance is going to be moot. NV's new K1 or Intel's new Atom is a massive leap in performance. Then there's the new Snapdragon, Exynos and Apple chips due soon.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:33 pm

[QUOTE=Roccinio]and if they do it will be angry birds...[/QUOTE]

just remember why angry birds its the king in mobile games.

thats what im telling, remember that everyone dont have a super smarth phone, how the c2 users are going to compete againts games like Angry Birds? who runs in every device withouth low frame rate.

and if we keep waiting there will be more games in the stores, games in 3D with ps3/xbox360 graphics, how games that sounds good now are going to sound good in the future?IJCT2014-01-18 23:35:24

B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:36 pm

2D games will always be good as long as they are designed properly. The 3D craze isn't new.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:38 pm

yeah i understand but what im trying to say its that we cant just wait for the new super ultra smarth phones to start publishing our games.

B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:47 pm

[QUOTE=IJCT] yeah i understand but what im trying to say its that we cant just wait for the new super ultra smarth phones to start publishing our games.[/QUOTE]

What game are you trying to make that runs so slow for you? Any screenshots/vid?

My own example is the WORSE you could do to optimize for mobiles and it performs fine on older hardware. Silverforce2014-01-18 23:53:58
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:10 am

its a physics, we are doing the best we can to get a good perfomance reading a lot of tutorials but that take us a lot of time, here are some pics of my game:

http://dlifo.blogspot.com/2014/01/dlifo-imagenes.html

we cant show any video until the game gets fully polished.
hope you like it.

B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:13 am

Ok it's a problem then, CocoonJS is STILL buggy with physics acceleration. Have you tried various physics option in Construct 2? There's some new options lately in recent C2 builds, CocoonJS native physics, which in theory CocoonJS should accelerate.. I could not get it accelerate it so I had to minimize physic usage in my game. But seeing as your game is based on physics its not an option for you.. my best advice is contact Ludei and ask them about physics acceleration.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:19 am

thats a good idea, we are using the new physics and someone told us to not to use the cocoonjs physics because ashley lost contact with ludei and they arent working with C2 anymore (or something like that), we had increase the perfomance with the physics to gain +10 fps in the game but we keep having spikes of framerate.

something that we did to get a better perfomance was to dissable collisions when the objects arent in use.

B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:33 am

Also experiment with using Bullet, Rotate/Spin, Sine, etc with triggers On Collision and Random/Choose.

There is a LOT of physics-like visuals you can achieve without even touching Physics at all. It just requires extra work and out-of-the-box thinking but it runs with no extra overhead.

My own game, every projectile was handled by physics, forces and impulse.. look great, works great.. on PC. On mobile it ran like a slideshow due to lack of acceleration. I had to redesign the entire game around not touching Box2D physics at all, and it still came out looking great and playing great, but much much faster.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General