Construct2 freezes when saving or backing up

Report Construct 2 bugs here.

Post » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:49 pm

I work off a .caproj file in my project folder. I don't touch the .capx in my Dropbox backup folder. I have switched to a .capx in my project folder and will start working off that. Hopefully that fixes the problem.
B

Post » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:18 pm

Ashley wrote:@Nitro187 - the only difference I can see from those logs is when it's moving around the backupN files it gets "SHARING VIOLATION" for one of them. But then it goes ahead and carries on anyway, which is why I don't understand why it hangs, it appears to show it continued after that and it must be hanging somewhere else.

Does this only happen if you have your actual .capx file in your Dropbox (or Google Drive) folder? You don't need to do that to back it up, just set one of your backup folders to the Dropbox and as you work on your local .capx it will copy it to Dropbox from time to time anyway. I'm pretty sure that backup process only copies a single file in one go, so it should work with these file syncing apps.

I honestly never use the backup folder options in the preferences.... those are just set to default. It never really occurred to me before that I could just turn off backups all together - which would remove this issue... but also leave me vulnerable too. This happens when I have everything saved in the same directory, like it would normally. I never save a .capx in the same directory, the youtube video shows that just to show you the bug occurs with caproj's only. I guess it would just be awesome if there was a cancel button to close that window, so you can 'try again' or something. If that's not possible, I guess I'll just have to disable backups completely unfortunately.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:47 pm

up until this date, the problem remains. I have it since months, and update C2 regularly
B
S

Post » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:16 pm

Yeah - I gave up on hoping it would get fixed.... I just got rid of Drop Box, as the rest of the apps, such as Microsoft's One Drive, doesn't lock files.... which doesn't cause it to freeze anymore.

Dropbox sucks. :)
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 26, 2016 3:24 pm

Construct 2 froze on me too when trying to save. I created a new caproj and had essentially two sprites. I gave one of the sprites an Instance Variable called GridID and set it to 1. I then copied this 8 times and set the other instance variables to 2-9 respectively. When I tried to save, it just looped endlessly until I killed Construct 2 in task manager. Unfortunately, from what I've read, the Dev's will never fix this problem because they apparently require a capx in order to open a ticket... but the problem doesn't occur when I try the exact same steps in a capx project, only a caproj. Very frustrating.
B
S

Post » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:40 am

It happens to me as well using google drive.
B
S

Post » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:54 am

I'm also experiencing this same problem. Guess I need to Switch from Dropbox to external HDD.

-M-
B
S

Post » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:32 am

I have recently also ran into this issue and was able to narrow down what was causing it (at least for me).

My project is saved as a project and in that project folder I have a "REFERENCES" folder.
In that folder I have pictures, Word documents, PDF's, Excel documents, etc...
Construct 2 would save but it felt slow. (I would have a bunch of the documents from the "REFERENCES" folder open)
When I had an Excel document open from that "REFERENCES" folder and tried to save my project it would freeze up.
I tried this with other documents but so far it's only happening with open Excel files.

Once I moved the "REFERENCES" folder outside of the project folder it no longer froze and was actually much faster in saving.

Hope that helps.
B
S

Previous

Return to Bugs