Construct2 - Just for prototyping?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:39 am

True, I forgot about those, being the non-programmer that I am.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:52 am

To add up to the conversation, construct is an efficient programming tool for non-developers, that's for sure. As far as making commercial games, I'd say it's quite capable, but that your reach is limited on the mobile market: as far as rendering is concerned, it's hard to target every device and every users. There is no mip-mapping, no possibility to launch the games at different resolutions. 960*640 games (a decent resolution for tablets and desktop in general) will most likely never run on iphone4 and below, or any device of comparable strength. Although this may not be a problem any more in a couple of years, a solid mobile game publisher will request games that are optimized for a wide range of devices, and that retain crisp visuals on tablets.

It's still a very nice html5 engine anyway though ;)!
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:29 am

Try running XCOM (https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... omeu&hl=en) on an iPhone 4 or equivalent device, you can't. Because its fail hardware. Even top Android phones and tablet get hammered with this game.

At some point you just have to move on and target another minimum spec and not one thats so weak such as the iPhone 4 (which now is a very small market, 4S is the bulk with 5 fast replacing it too).

I had this (Star Nomad, 1280 x 720p RTS-RPG: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNCSFm829m4) running and holding 50-60 fps during an intense fleet fight on my Nexus 7 & LG G-Pad. On my old Nexus 7 (2012) with Tegra 3, it held 40+ fps, very playable during heavy fighting.

Performance wise, HTML5 is quite fine on mobiles, as always, it comes down to optimizations. But its not going to be possible if you want lots of WebGL effects, most of them still cripple even top end hardware.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:41 am

I'm professional games developer for 5 years of wchich 4 years were spent with AS3. Games making is my day to day job and hobby.

Construct2 is fine for making games. I will go as far as to say its even extremely efficient tool to make small to medium sized games. I highly doubt it would be more efficient to write baldurs gate 2 in c2 rather than do it in unity3d right now which brings me to my point - when you make games you evaluate your tools and market and other factors and decide which is most viable for that task.

For me c2 is right now dream tool. It took me couple of months to adjust to workflow and find my own way to organize project but dang, it does feel great right now. I also see progress of making more in less time with each month. There are also less failures and dropped ideas due to "it cant be done in c2".

On top of that Scirra team is really great with all the work they do. Its easy to get in touch with them and have some help plus they add features all the time.
B
S

Post » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:38 am

Arima wrote:Even the fastest programmer in the world couldn't get a platformer up and running from scratch as quickly as it can be done in C2, and there's lots of time savings throughout the program like that.

Don't let Tommy Refenes hear that ;)

Whiteclaws wrote:Writing code in a file is faster than dragging events in an eventsheet, also, writing everything yourself gives you more flexibility, you wrote that code by yourself and you know how it works under the hood, and it's easier to debug it with a console (You can use the Browser in C2 but eh, not really interesting)
Well, Writing is faster, but when writing a whole game in for example C++, it is not faster. When having learned C2 really good, you are probably faster with it then writing native C++ code. Since C2 has most things simplified so it is really easy and fast to use. Also when writing native C++ you can have typos. That is almost impossible when using C2 ;)

Whiteclaws wrote:Finally, C2 is geared towards beginners, most notions like floats, arrays, pointers, classes, functions are all hidden or even removed from the user's perspective, which makes it not better than other languages, which are consise and allow you to do everything with a limited syntax.

It is geared towards beginners, but has all functionalities you would want from an game engine, it's extendable and easy to use.
Also, even though it is easy to use: Easy to learn, hard to master. There are many that don't know how to do complex things, since they haven't mastered C2, only a few here have, so mostly when people say C2 is limiting, it isn't C2 that is limiting, it is themselves. Also C2 really has Floats, Arrays, Classes (In some degree), Functions and Pointers (To some degree).

NotionGames wrote:At the end of the day, it all boils down to preference and what you are targeting. I've made several games with both C2 and native and I prefer C2. It's quicker in my opinion and it allows me to do everything that I want it to do. If there's something that I "couldnt" do, I usually later found a workaround.
I couldn't agree more.

Whiteclaws wrote:That's why they made libraries,
In a nutshell, it was made to be intuitive for beginners, but it's counter-intuitive to programmers,
Gentlemens, we have an answer

Libraries are awesome, but see, with the Javscript SDK for C2 you can extend C2 in some kind of the same way that if you would use a library.
And i defientely don't see it being a counter-intuitive to programmers, if you need something that you know isn't possible in C2, code your own plugin/behavior.

C2 is extendable, it's not limiting, if something is missing, you can extend C2 to your needs. It helps beginners understand basics of programming in simplyfying it with Visual Coding, and makes it for existing programmers easier to use,
with the possibilty of extending the existing with something that will probably benefit a whole community.

Anything i let out? :)
- Conti
"It's done when it's done"

Shadows of War
Buy on Steam ;)
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:59 am

@SgtConti : at the end, C2 is the core on one side (plugins and behaviors), and the logic on the other side, which IMO is the best for non programmers. Heck I am pretty sure programing a game tradittionnally will also lead to that at the end, since it is well organised.

Also, about non primitive arrays, I ve always though array in programming where one dimensionnal, could be wrong though
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:55 pm

SgtConti wrote:
Arima wrote:Even the fastest programmer in the world couldn't get a platformer up and running from scratch as quickly as it can be done in C2, and there's lots of time savings throughout the program like that.

Don't let Tommy Refenes hear that ;)

Could he really get a platformer up and running from scratch in about 15 seconds? Even using libraries, I imagine it would take longer to add them and use them. I apologize if I'm wrong on the matter.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:55 pm

Valerien wrote:There is no mip-mapping, no possibility to launch the games at different resolutions.

C2 has scale modes and does have the capability of switching resolutions. It also automatically uses mipmapping - although perhaps you mean using it in a different way than I'm thinking of? C2 uses them to make downscaled assets look sharper.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:13 pm

Oh, thank you for the clarification @Arima.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:52 pm

What all this really boils downs to is this:

- If you know little javaScript, Construct 2 makes it incredibly easy for you to make a game without any knowledge.
- If you are a programmer and very comfortable with javaScript, there are other libraries that allow you direct access to the code and would be a better suited for your needs. You don't need learn the shortcuts C2 provides.
- "C2 is better for prototyping, but not for making a professional game" is an opinion. It's not true for everyone. Most likely, those people have a personal preference like programming in a different language or like to have direct access to javascript.
- You can make professional games with C2, as C2 is a very powerful program. It won't cripple your game as there is almost always a work around.
- C2 has the nicest and most helpful community, in my opinion, than any other that I have experienced. Many other communities have very little patience for noobs.

Just try it out and if you like it, cool. If not, here's a list of other options:

html5gameengine.com
B
S

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General