Construct2's horrible audio controller

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:49 pm

Well with the "tag" we can mute same tag sound however if we need to be more dynamic it does not work, Maybe adding families or some similar concept to Sounds could help.

For example we could still tag the same Gun sounds but we could also sounds grouped in a maybe more intuitive way..

I'm not sure it's just something I tough off while reading this Post

one other thing would be to have a easy mute option on the sound object directly

Update:

I have been thinking and maybe the Sound family could be something like:

Sound family1 creates array[x] where x is number of sounds in family

Then it should be possible to do selection of play family1 (all sounds) or family[1] (sound number1 of sounds array)

this would at least make it less confusing i suppose..
rgros2012-03-23 22:54:04
B
S

Post » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:16 am

[QUOTE=Ashley] Playing random sounds: have you tried 'Play sound by name'? E.g. play sound:

"player" & floor(random(5))

will play one of player0, player1, player2, player3 or player4 randomly. No need for extra events.
[/QUOTE]
Wow, I did not think about that, thank you!
[QUOTE=Ashley]
About the tag system: what would you propose instead? Previously Classic had a 'channels' system where you play a sound on say channel 5, then you could modify channel 5's parameters. However, some people found that confusing or limiting as well since you can only play one sound on one channel so there's no grouping. With the tag system if you play all gunfire sounds with the tag "gun", you can manipulate all the currently playing gun sounds at once using the tag "gun", whereas using the channel system it's extremely difficult to do that. So do you have any ideas what would be better than the tag system or how it could be improved?
[/QUOTE]
No good ideas momentarily, but I think having a similar system to the layer system could help alot. That way you could have one layer for SFX and one for Background music, and possibly have tags inside each layer. something along having a main-tag or the possibility to have more than one "tag" on each sound. The ideal in my mind would be able to have groups of sounds and something similar to tags inside each group. But since I do know as much as you do on the subjects of what is do-able, and what is accepted where in what license I really do not have any more ideas on the subject.

[QUOTE=Ashley]
As for muting, which browser are you using? Different browsers have different levels of audio implementation at the moment, for example Firefox until very recently (FF11) didn't support looping. So maybe try different browsers and see if it works better. There's not much we can do about that, the browsers have audio limitations, and you'll run in to them in HTML5 regardless of what tool you're using. We've done our best to work around some of the browser limitations but unfortunately there's still some trial and error involved.[/QUOTE]

I have tried Firefox, chrome, opera and IE8. I tried setting the sound to -40 dB which worked on the last sound played, after it played the sound. Even with tags. Muting would only mute without any tags set, and just the last sound. But the thing I find most frustrating is "toggle mute", where in the lack of an actual "toggle mute". And a "mute all sound" instead of this and that tag function is a function I think should be added.

Thank you so much Ashley for you response, and I apolegize for my idiotic rant from before, I appreciate your work on this software!

B

Post » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:44 pm

@MakkaOleba - how about a multi-tagging system? If you could use spaces to separate tags then you could tag sounds like "background sfx1", "background sfx2", "main gun1", "main gun2". Then you can manipulate all background sounds by the tag "background" or still one individual one by "sfx1".
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:59 pm

[QUOTE=Ashley] @MakkaOleba - how about a multi-tagging system? If you could use spaces to separate tags then you could tag sounds like "background sfx1", "background sfx2", "main gun1", "main gun2". Then you can manipulate all background sounds by the tag "background" or still one individual one by "sfx1".[/QUOTE]

That could work, I've tried your tips about random sounds and it works like a charm:) Still working on a good solution on muting.
B

Post » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:10 pm

@MakkaOleba Have you tried looking at the example section in the arcade. I have a sound example in there. I also included a cpax file for any one to dig into.

http://www.scirra.com/arcade/addicting-example-games/941/music-and-sound-example
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:44 pm

I will take a look, this is how I tried doing it.

But it does not work.

I'll check out your .capx.
B

Post » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:00 am

Forgot to add that every sound added (about 20-25 sounds), has the tag main. Still no effect when trying to mute, set the volume down or anything other.

I cant figure out how I mute every sound. I checked the manual that says there is a silent-mode, but I cant find it anywhere.

Is there no good way to mute every sound with one button?

If I get no answer I'll try asking in the "how do i...?" forum:)

B

Post » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:24 am

From the how do I FAQ: Volume control on a sound played - LINK

The logic to mute should be the same as to control the volume.
The capx is specific to the topic mentionned, but let's hope it can help you figure out your issue.
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:49 am

I have figured away to mute every sound, but now I'm struggling with how to toggle it back.

I solved it by naming every sound like this:

0playerSound1

Then when the play function calls the sound I used:

varMute & varPlayer & "Sound" & floor(random(1, 3))

This worked very good, until I try it with the button.

You can see how I did the button on the picture over. But it wont work at all, not with every variable in the world.
B

Post » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:01 am

Found a forum post with a helpful answer from Kyatric, ill try this method:)

http://www.scirra.com/forum/game-sound-on-off-button-issue_topic46140.html
B

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General