Construct3 should export to native.

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:00 pm

I dont want to promote this thread really as it has been done to death. Just one point i would like to make is this. At the moment we rely on NW.js for the desktop. Now i know the latest version 13. whatever is still in beta so we can expect problems, however it would be really positive if Scirra could somehow create a Fork or even produce their own wrapper. Exports would still be HTML but at least we wouldnt be tied to a third party for the desktop. NW.js has been in beta for ages and who knows it could be dropped at any time then where would we be?
As far as i see this is not a request for a native export, rather a Scirra controlled wrapper.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:16 pm

Ashley wrote:
Silverforce wrote:As for the Intel HD graphics situation, in my game test cases, it's not specifically a fill-rate or hardware performance issue. It's a WebGL issue, or rather, Intel's poor performance with many of the shader effects within C2. Removing those effects, game performance is FINE. Same game, with and without a few shader effects, goes from stutter mess to smooth performance on a HD4000.

That's not WebGL's fault, it's exactly what I was talking about, just weak hardware. You'd see exactly the same performance characteristics with those effects in a native app. You can assume WebGL performance is identical to a native app using OpenGL.

I'm not saying that it's WebGL's fault.

I'm saying it's Intel's fault, either hardware or drivers, but its very slow at processing shaders that are based on OpenGL.

It's nothing to do with fill-rate, it's specifically WebGL shader limited and if people who use C2 knows this, then they should design their game to not use effects or do not target Intel HD graphics at all. It's a limitation regardless of who's at fault.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:39 pm

spongehammer wrote:I dont want to promote this thread really as it has been done to death. Just one point i would like to make is this. At the moment we rely on NW.js for the desktop. Now i know the latest version 13. whatever is still in beta so we can expect problems, however it would be really positive if Scirra could somehow create a Fork or even produce their own wrapper. Exports would still be HTML but at least we wouldnt be tied to a third party for the desktop. NW.js has been in beta for ages and who knows it could be dropped at any time then where would we be?
As far as i see this is not a request for a native export, rather a Scirra controlled wrapper.

I'd love to see a comment on this as well. Maybe I'm naive and don't understand how much work goes in to NW.js but Scirra making their own wrapper seems like a good idea...
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:41 pm

@ashley has answered to this before. It seems to be a common request.

There are other wrappers than nw.js that serve as native wrappers. Some html5 games engines have switched to electron:
http://tangiblejs.com/posts/nw-js-electron-compared

The field is very dynamic and at some point a technology might become outdated. I think that the current strategy is good- to keep construct compatible with a wrapper, however not make it depend on it in order to work.

What I would love to see is some sort of a script that automatically downloads and installs the wrapper for the user when it has been selected for an export option for the first time.

I wish native previewing wasnt dependent on a localhost server too.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:50 pm

@blurymind

There are indeed other wrappers. My point was that none of them are created or controlled by Scirra.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:18 pm

They promised to export to major appliances over two years ago.
Believe it or not, that actually has a better chance of happening.
Plus it wouldn't only work on a specific platform, and require rewriting all plugs to that language.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:37 pm

interestingly enough - ios8 now supports everything, and ios9 even more - i think no wrapper is really needed for ios, just a good build.

and android is still shitty with no webgl support - but on android 6 i think they probably will have webgl support so we will be able to have games without some crazy ass wrappers. as much as i've seen currently cordova & crosswalk work good, but crosswalk is just +extra MBs which are gold for some.
Sea Monsters template - Isometric
Also includes 40 pages PDF of optimizations and "how-to" for your games, and how the "sea monsters" template was built. Follow link for details :)

sea-monsters-templates-and-assets_t162705
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:45 pm

thanks for the answers!
yes i understand the perfomance thing is more about hardware, i dont have any problem from perfomance since long tho cause i had to read tons and tons of manuals about that.

but a good stuff about native is that we dont need an external wrapper to make our games to .apk or .api

B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:33 pm

The wrapper that scirra uses is open source. If @Ashley or the other devs found a problem in it, a bug that affects the export, they could indeed propose a patch. Since of it's open source nature, nw.js also gets bug fixes and development from other projects that rely on it.
The only case where a fork would be needed is when scirra's wrapper needs code that makes it compatible only with construct2 and breaks for the other communities.

You go solo on the wrapper and then what? Suddenly you have only scirra developers working on the wrapper and all that open source community gone - your wrapper is actually being developed slower than nw.js since much less people are working on it, only C2 community using it.
So I dont understand why so many folks want scirra to make another wrapper instead of using and contributing to an open source one.

To give up on that in exchange for what? What would be the advantage of having another wrapper project developed solely for construct2, that is close source? :)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:07 am

I'm repeating myself, but whenever I turn on CC, when I'm in doubt if i want to continue on c2, i see it performing so smoothly. However C2 looks sharper, and doesn't crash almost ever. I still would like to see that same kind of smoothness in C2 and in its follow up thought.
Last edited by megatronx on Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General