Construct's version of Daily Click

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:57 pm

Well nobody should expect an unfinished, or really I should say, unstable (since Construct's still below 1.0) product to be better than a completed second version of a commercial product that has since been patched and updated multiple times...

Give it time... There's bugs to work out, features being added with each release. The community gets to submit ideas and if so inclined, make features and plugins for Construct. (Tomorrow, I'll go and get Visual Studio installed on my laptop again... Mainly because I want a scrollbar plugin...)

Construct has the potential to become better than anyone is imagining at this point, and some of us feel already that it's really awesome already... It's kinda like Firefox 1.0 vs Firefox 3.0... I didn't expect much from the 3.0 (Beta) release of Firefox but I was impressed with it's increased speed, feature set, and bug fixes.

Once it stabilizes some, then it would be more reasonable for Construct to start adding some radical new features since it's easier to fix problems when they're caused by the new features, and not from some bug that should have been fixed a long time ago...

I know where you're coming from, but I don't think it's ready yet for something like that just yet...
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:48 pm

I just want to interject something here...

[quote="3kliksphilip":1lso0onu]Construct has better hardware support and physics,[/quote:1lso0onu]

Yo, check this out:

My First Skydiving Academy

Physics in MMF. One of the most polished MMF games I've ever seen, too. It's damn near flawless.

MMF might have it's physics drawbacks, but so does Construct. MMF can do per-pixel stuff, whereas Construct can't. It's likely there will always be differences like that between the two, causing people to waffle on which one they want.

So if it's a matter of sitting on the fence, well... go with MMF for now. It is more viable. It's a much more complete product, and hence a more logical choice for game development at the moment. The time you spend mulling over which product to use you could spend instead on creating something cool.

Other than that, I agree with ssbfalcon. Just give it time. It'll all come together eventually.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:08 pm

I was actually never able to understand MMF's interface. And I think Construct is generally easier to use. Yep, I love it, so I'm sticking with it.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:28 pm

[quote="Hideous":38nzjqrt]I was actually never able to understand MMF's interface. And I think Construct is generally easier to use. Yep, I love it, so I'm sticking with it.[/quote:38nzjqrt]

While I eventually got it down somewhat, I never got over the annoying fact that you have to scroll back and forth in a spreadsheet to hunt for your objects and hover over some little checkmarks to see what your events are, so agreed 100%. Construct is hella easier to use.

And I'm sticking with it for now because I don't have any of my deadly-serious projects ready to go yet, and I don't have the skillset to start them, so they can wait along with 1.0. It seems that Construct and I are developing at a similar rate, so by the time 1.0 is ready, I'll be about ready to start on a major project.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:29 pm

[quote="deadeye":vb8ckizj]I just want to interject something here...

[quote="3kliksphilip":vb8ckizj]Construct has better hardware support and physics,[/quote:vb8ckizj]

Yo, check this out:

My First Skydiving Academy

Physics in MMF. One of the most polished MMF games I've ever seen, too. It's damn near flawless.

MMF might have it's physics drawbacks, but so does Construct. MMF can do per-pixel stuff, whereas Construct can't. It's likely there will always be differences like that between the two, causing people to waffle on which one they want.

So if it's a matter of sitting on the fence, well... go with MMF for now. It is more viable. It's a much more complete product, and hence a more logical choice for game development at the moment. The time you spend mulling over which product to use you could spend instead on creating something cool.

Other than that, I agree with ssbfalcon. Just give it time. It'll all come together eventually.[/quote:vb8ckizj]

You're forgetting the main thing :

Compare Construct 1.0 to MMF 2 without extensions.
Construct 1.0 wins so much.
MMF2 has extensions, but Construct supports them too! So it's up to the community to create whatever they need, a pixel physics? Other stuff? All possible with plugins.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:43 pm

[quote="SuperV":htvt59e5]
You're forgetting the main thing :

Compare Construct 1.0 to MMF 2 without extensions.
Construct 1.0 wins so much.
MMF2 has extensions, but Construct supports them too! So it's up to the community to create whatever they need, a pixel physics? Other stuff? All possible with plugins.[/quote:htvt59e5]

You have a point, but the reverse is true also... MMF extension developers can (and have) extend(ed) the capabilities of MMF.

So will Construct have per-pixel physics one day? It's likely. Then MMF will have this. And Construct will have that. And back and forth. There will always be advantages that one has over the other. It's up to people to decide for themselves which they want, or need.

All I'm saying is that right now (with Construct in an incomplete state) if want to make a hassle-free game and you can use MMF, then use MMF.

Personally, I think MMF is superior to Game Maker. But Game Maker has a much larger community than MMF. Go figure. It's all about what people are comfortable with.

When the time is right, users will come. Already a couple of people who saw my thread at TIGS have tried out Construct. I think that's going to be the best way to spread the word for now... just make some cool stuff and throw it out there for people to enjoy. Those that are interested will bite.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:17 pm

Yeah, I got sent here thanks to deadeye and his hitler game.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:18 pm

I think after 1.0, when the games are starting to appear, posting them on the Daily Click will probably help. I intend to use whichever is best for me, and because I have a lame machine, right now that's MMF.

But I have no illusions about CT. I use MMF because I have to, not because I want to. I want a decent programming environment, and once I've got a PC that supports Construct, it'll be Construct all the way, baby!
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:49 pm

Heh... Construct seems interesting so far, only downloaded it a couple of days ago...

Dines...

"I use MMF because I have to, not because I want to. I want a decent programming environment, and once I've got a PC that supports Construct, it'll be Construct all the way, baby!"

But you can't even make a simple platformer in MMF? I don't understand where you're coming from to say MMF is bad, yet I just downloaded a game you made in which is like something I made when I first downloaded game maker? :/
B
G

Post » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:47 pm

Soz, I don't quite follow that post, lol. :)

If you want a list of the things I don't like about MMF, I'll PM it you tomorrow, because this forum obviously isn't about slating MMF.

But the gist of it is: MMF isn't modular. Get halfway through the project and try fixing a bug, or changing a bad guy's animation or behaviour, and you'll see what I mean. I never wanna paste another damn group or animation again.

Contrast it with common programming languages like PHP, and you start to wonder why Include or Function or For/For Each/While/Else are so sparsely implemented (if at all) - after ten years.

It could be so much better for just the addition of some really obvious features!
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct Classic Discussion