Contrast - WIP

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:21 am

@regisRquoi

I used one tile map to create the terrain layout in the editor. I then use nested for loops to create 2 different tile maps, one is the white and one is the black. Only one of these tile maps is enabled at a time. So while one is solid the other is not, and when you swap sides, it reverses.

the saws are just a sprite that has a light and dark side, the rotation is all in the animation.

Saw Sprite Sheet
Saw64.png

It is actually pretty simple at it's core, just a lot of trickery to make it look complicated.

player.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B
S

Post » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:59 pm

Only had about an hour last night to get some work done.

- Fixed the level progression save.
- Added pause and resume functions
- Added pause menu using the new global layout feature.
- Added a screen transition.

p-4.png

I should have a alpha build uploaded soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B
S

Post » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:28 pm

@Inversion
After playing 'Parallel 2' seeing this makes me want to play it right now. Cool art style and I think it fits well the game you are going for.
B
S

Post » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:55 pm

@atomoso

Parallel 2 was made in 2 sittings on a weekend with the girlfriend out of town. I really hope that people enjoy this one more, lol.
B
S

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:46 pm

Playable Alpha, finally here.

Download Contrast Alpha Build

Play Contrast Alpha Online

This is still very much a work in progress, any feed back is welcome.

Just a few notes:
- Music and sound effects are currently disabled, I really don't like testing with them on
- Level locks are disabled, even if you have not unlocked it, you can still play it.
- The first 20 levels are enabled, the level selection screen for the second would is still there but the levels are disabled for this build
- Tutorial text and control screen have not been added yet, WASD or Arrow keys to move.
B
S

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:36 pm

Very elegant presentation and cool level design. I got through the first 18 levels (got to 19) and you managed to keep the gameplay somehow fresh. I think there is a lot of potential for more, although this is already a great game!
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:09 pm

Yeeeah, a playable thing! Was waiting for this! :)

To begin with general remarks, I don't know if the main mechanic is really intuitive. I think it is, but I'm not sure.
The thing is, I knew I was going to be able to reverse the screen before I started to play the game, so I looked for the good control for it. But I feel like a random person might be lost at the 2nd lvl without indications on the controls... I don't know. You should try to get random people to play your game and do some playtesting to know if this is intuitive :)

Also I feel like the level design might feel "forced" sometime, like, when I was playing the first level, I didn't feel like "Oh I learn that I can jump!" but more like "Oh the game designer want me to learn that I can jump". There is really good things too in your level design (I'll talk about it later), but sometime it made me feel like "forced", like a direct application of game design theories.

Oh and the bottom of your levels feels really weird! (How can I explain that..?)
In level 10 for exemple, when I was on the to left of the screen (after jumping in the first 3 boucing things.), I was thinking that I would fall in the void and died if I jumped. You would need some border, or indication that you can't actually fall and die because you're out of the layout. See what I mean?

I didn't experience any special problem (frame rate or bug) =)

Here's feedbacks on some levels: :)

I really enjoyed the level 13's puzzle, with the ennemies. The fact that the player have to jump above the first ennemy and then reverse the screen, because else if he reverse the screen before passing the enemy, he would not be able to jump. That was good!

level 16 was really repetitive I think. It's not 4 time the same thing, but almost, it bored me a bit (specially because I died dumbly at the end.). It's long and not really fun. It brokes the rythm a little bit.

The thing in the level 17 that makes the platforms destroyed by the keys is really good! Enjoyed that!
Specially because you used this again in level 18. Which makes the 17th level really useful for the player!

Great to see you used the level design of level 13 again in level 19! This is a clever thing that surprises the player! Good game design here :) Although I feel like it need a bit more of ballancing, it was kinda hard/frustrating. (but of course, if you changed the level design, change it for 13 and 19, because that fact that they are the same is clever really :) )

level 20 was super cool! Great use of all your mechanics here!

Okay, I think that's all I have to say for now.
It has been fun really! I hope you'll keep working like this on the game! And I hope my feedbacks will be useful :)
Can't wait to see more of this ;)

PS: I attached the stars I got at first try. Thought it might be useful for you to ballance the game :)
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:20 pm

@regisRquoi

Thanks,

I will be adding tutorial text to the 3rd level where you need to flip sides.

Yeah, I really don't like level 16, but I had mixed feed back on it from my friends that tested it. I think the decision is final now, it has to go.

I had mixed feelings on 17 and 18, but it has been the favorite of most people, so I think I might continue that mechanic a bit more in later levels.

Level 19 is stupid hard for its position in the level order. I am thinking about setting it further along in the game, maybe 25-30ish

Thanks for the feed back!
B
S

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:21 pm

Just saw the note on the stars,

How did you feel about the difficulty of them?
B
S

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:45 pm

mh, I think the stars difficulty are fine, I mostly had 2 at my first try, which mean I still have to re-do them if I want the max score, but I don't feel like I'm a bad player ;) So that's nice!
I dont know how many levels you plan to have, but it might be good that it get more difficult at the end (like, I would get 1 star at the end and I will feel like "oh my god it's a damn hard level!", ahah! ^^ )

I don't know if level 19 is hard because of the order of the levels or because of level/game design (not enough room? enemies too quick?). But maybe. Try that and we'll find out! :)

You're welcome :)
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests