Conway's Game Of Life

Post your own tutorials, guides and demos.

Post » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:36 am

Conway's Life.

Built this afternoon with an array, a canvas, and one huuuuuuge for loop. There's probably a better, more efficient way to do this, but as far as I can tell, this obeys all of the rules of Conway's Life.

.cap included for those interested. If you want a random field generator, untoggle the first event and right click when the game opens.

Left click places a punnet (on a 50*50 unmarked grid) and right click starts the simulation (can't pause or add new punnets after that).

Erm, Enjoy!
B
G

Post » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:31 am

Not bad :). Seems to work properly, I get the same blinkers and traffic lights all the time like with other Life games.

I've always been curious about this little game, but I never looked anything up on it until your thread. And holy crap... it's not just a game, it's a Turing-complete computer language :shock:

I knew it could make neat patterns but I never knew it was possible to create stable patterns that mimic binary processes. Hell, on this page (in a java app) there's a pattern that functions as an 8-bit memory cell. Nuts.
B
S
G

Return to Your tutorials & example files