Corona / Sun Bloom

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
From the Asset Store
10 Royalty free tracks, 10 stings and 34 sound FX to use in your indie games & projects.
  • One cool feature I've noticed in modern indie games is that in outdoor scenes they like to have a sun that follows the player around, but when the sun approaches the edge you can see the beams from the sun over the top of everything...but once the centre of the sun has gone behind a solid, the sun becomes less bright and stops 'blooming'.

The way to do this (i think) is to have two objects, one which is behind everything (so the sun), and one that is in front of everything (the bloom). You then make them have the same position, and when the centre of the bloom is overlapping a solid you make it fade out, and when its not, fade back in.

I used additive so no pixel shaders are required

Heres a screenshot:

• hah that's cool man.

but when the sun is going behind a solid it's fadeing a bit to fast, should be more subtle

i think now it's like an "instant action" and not like "more behind - less brighter"

well just a thought....but still excellent example

• I was trying to figure out how you made the sun follow the mouse without any events and "discovered" - Mouse Behavior! The sun effect is really convincing, can't believe how much it brightens up the scene. Very cool when the bloom peeks through the hollow sections of the sprite defined as sold - kudos to Construct collision detection. And nice use of timedelta. So much to learn from a single event... Thanks!

• Wohoho man! That's so sweet!

• That......is really cool. I must remember to use that additive blend!

• Damn that's nice.. and so simple! I could see how it was done without looking at the source. That'll come in handy for sure!

• Clever use of additive

• I really like the smoke effect.

• Nice effect man.

For some reason it doesn't get brighter again though when it's not touching anything... I have to restart it each time.

~Sol

• Nice effect man.

For some reason it doesn't get brighter again though when it's not touching anything... I have to restart it each time.

~Sol

I've got the same problem. Replacing the "Else" condition with an inverted version of the first event worked though. Nice effect when it's working.

• what build?

• what build?

Of Construct? .98.7

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Well that really odd! Are you using vista perhaps?

• Nice effect man.

~Sol

i have same problem - on Vista only Xp is fine

• I'm running Vista as well... looks like there may be a problem in the way the ELSE function is processed in Vista with the latest build?

~Sol

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)