Could Computer Be Locking My FPS?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:20 pm

At some point in the last few months, I noticed that my computer was running my game at a lower amount of frames per second. I was adding things here and there so I just assumed it was the extra work load. Where I used to get 60 fps, I was now getting 40. Not a huge deal. It was still playable, just not as smooth.

Then today I tried a quick demo on the forum and saw that it was also 40fps. I thought that was a weird coincidence so I loaded up a very early version of my game that had next to nothing in it and that I knew ran well and it was also at 40fps.

I took my current build to another computer and tested it there. It ran at 60 to 75 fps depending on the size of my window.

Does anyone know why I might be getting the locked 40fps on my computer? Thanks for your help.

Ben
http://www.needyourdisease.com
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:58 am

First off, there's no reason FPS would be limited by your company since FPS depends on the refresh rate of your monitor.

If your FPS/Refresh rate doesn't match the number your monitor shows it's supposed to have, then you're computer is probably slowed.

Check for any bloatware, malware or fragmentation that might slow down your computer.

It could also be due to poor events, I once tried a loop event and it completely crashed my game.

Also I don't see how a Construct 2 game could ever run at 75FPS since it's hard-capped at 60FPS.

Something feels off.
The moderators are corrupt and ban for no reason, especially that condescending neckbeard asshole Kyatric. The forums are filled with fanboys.
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:21 am

He said, he tested on another computer where it works normal, so it's for sure not the events in C2.
It can be a technical problem of your machine or a software problem. How you test your C2 game? In a browser or node webkit? Maybe some third party plugins where installed in Chrome (or whatever browser you use) that slow down.
B
S

Post » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:39 am

What browsers (and which versions) do the computers have? Newer versions of Chrome seem to be running my games slower than before. Internet Explorer has no trouble maintaining 60 fps, but Chrome struggles unless I make the window really small or go full screen...
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:15 am

Quick way to check for sure: make a new project with next to nothing in it. If it runs at 40, there's an issue somewhere.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:47 am

@nesteris "Also I don't see how a Construct 2 game could ever run at 75FPS since it's hard-capped at 60FPS."

if the refresh rate of the moniter is 75 Hz, the game will refresh at a 75 fps rate, same goes for 120 Hz (which was described in another thread), C2 never hard capped any game to match one frame-rate (this is also the reason dt is there too in the first place, to make sure the game runs accordingly accross platforms).

if it was really 40 fps with not a lot of variations, and the game was playable, verifying the refresh rate of the monitor will be needed, as sqiddster said, test on a new project with maybe just one thing moving to see the result.
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:52 pm

Thank you to everyone that posted. Turns out @aphrodite was correct. The laptop I was working on had the screen refresh rate set to 40 Hz. I looked up how to change it up to 60 and my FPS went back up. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Ben
http://www.NeedYourDisease.com
http://www.facebook.com/needyourdisease
http://www.twitter.com/needyourdisease
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:25 pm

Aphrodite wrote:@nesteris "Also I don't see how a Construct 2 game could ever run at 75FPS since it's hard-capped at 60FPS."

if the refresh rate of the moniter is 75 Hz, the game will refresh at a 75 fps rate, same goes for 120 Hz (which was described in another thread), C2 never hard capped any game to match one frame-rate (this is also the reason dt is there too in the first place, to make sure the game runs accordingly accross platforms).

Really? Weren't like there a lot of forum threads some time ago about Construct 2 having a 60-FPS cap?
The moderators are corrupt and ban for no reason, especially that condescending neckbeard asshole Kyatric. The forums are filled with fanboys.
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:12 pm

@Nesteris it just happens that most people thinks that since it caps to the refresh rate, which is 60 Hz in most cases, but it caps to the refresh rate and not 60 fps (that was why some games where the framerate independancy was not well implemented were not working as they should with 120 Hz screens).
the lack of hard cap is actually why having an 30 fps mode was impossible/really hard in the first place.

@sman118 nice to know it was the issue
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:04 pm

@Aphrodite - Oh, didn't know it capped to the refresh rate. Thanks for the useful information.

As for
The laptop I was working on had the screen refresh rate set to 40 Hz.

I thought that was it, but dismissed it because I couldn't think of anything that would alter the refresh rate so I didn't say anything.

Glad to hear you solved your problem!
Banned User
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct 2 General