Courier - Brand new trailer!

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:29 am

BigKid Icarus wrote:You're doing such a fantastic job with your lighting, and I think if you pushed it a bit further it would really make your game "pop."

Thank you a ton! I've heard numerous people give different opinions on where I should go graphically/color-wise with the game. So I made multiple variations on things and applied different color settings to them and polled people to see what was most appealing and liked. Firstly, my reasons for the more muted colors is because I wanted to avoid the all-primary-colors look of a lot of games and wanted to distance it from the cartoonish look of a lot of games now. I also liked the cohesion given throughout. So I toyed with a bunch of stuff and got to a look that I still like and people seem to enjoy more. It really makes the older shots look dull by comparison, which I'm okay with! I have no delusions of being perfect, so I'm glad to see changes implemented that people have asked for that seem to improve the game. Have a look!

B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:45 am

Nice!

That's a huge difference from the shot on the previous page and really makes it easier to tell where one material ends and another begins.

Super excited to play!
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:47 am

Thanks! Here are a couple more:

Click for full size
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:54 pm

Rory wrote:I really like the tileset!
I'm just not too keen on that character art, to me it clashes a lot with the semi-realistic style you have going on with the in-game graphics.

I think this kind of rendering would give the whole graphics a good, consistent feel.

I agree, more realistic characters will really give this a boost.
B

Post » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:22 am

Mrsuzi wrote:
I'm just not too keen on that character art, to me it clashes a lot with the semi-realistic style you have going on with the in-game graphics.

I think this kind of rendering would give the whole graphics a good, consistent feel.

Thanks for the input! This is actually one of the opinions with which I completely disagree. I ran through a number of styles of characters initially (including more realistic) and it shifted into generic instead of matching. Thematically, the character styles fit quite well--much of the game is quite light-hearted, even when it gets darker. I feel if they were any more textured, they would be more difficult to read visually and would get lost in the environments. The proportions are a little exaggerated, the texturing is more muted (though still present), the shading is a little more contrasted, and they have very slight outlines. But this contrast is important to gameplay--the people are the primary gameplay elements that you interact with throughout along with puzzle 'devices' and obstacles. So thank you, but that's an element I'm quite happy with and will keep.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:59 am

Are you going to sell it?Because it looks like a great game and would sell easily.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:39 am

I think the characters fit perfectly. Very unique.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:19 pm

C-7 wrote:
Mrsuzi wrote:

Thanks for the input! This is actually one of the opinions with which I completely disagree. I ran through a number of styles of characters initially (including more realistic) and it shifted into generic instead of matching. Thematically, the character styles fit quite well--much of the game is quite light-hearted, even when it gets darker. I feel if they were any more textured, they would be more difficult to read visually and would get lost in the environments. The proportions are a little exaggerated, the texturing is more muted (though still present), the shading is a little more contrasted, and they have very slight outlines. But this contrast is important to gameplay--the people are the primary gameplay elements that you interact with throughout along with puzzle 'devices' and obstacles. So thank you, but that's an element I'm quite happy with and will keep.

I'm sure this game will get a great response either way :)
B

Post » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:46 pm

Mrsuzi wrote:
C-7 wrote:
Mrsuzi wrote:

Blah blah blah.

I'm sure this game will get a great response either way :)

I sure hope so! I'm glad discussions can go meaningfully on this forum, too. It makes some of us okay with posting things as they develop instead of holding back for a finished product.

@kossglobal
Yes. Since it is getting to a further stage of development now, I'll be running a kickstarter soon to try and jump to fulltime development on it. If that goes well, I plan to release in Spring or Summer of 2015.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:24 pm

@C-7

Wow...After 1 year the game is still in alpha?Are you developing the game alone?If it's just you, gratz in double.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests