Courier - Brand new trailer!

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:17 am

With a tiered release schedule, stating Courier's release date is kind of hard. But the first release, which I view as a soft release, isn't as far away as you might think. My personal goal is 8 weeks to complete the 6 major things that need done before I can go public. But, no doubt, numerous testing sessions, tweaks, and little UI additions will put me a little over. Perhaps I'll go to record a clarinet or trumpet part and it will rain that evening, rendering me unable to get a clean recording. I'm not stating this as a means to announce a release, but to bring up a sense of accountability for myself.

I plan to have Courier available for play by mid May. This will include the first town (which is quite large), the first dungeon, the overworld area immediately around this forest area, and the associate story segment. Some other features this will need to entail would be persistent save data, a leaderboard, and in-app purchases.

I plan on nothing less than a weekly update, typically with something visual to show.

This week's update is showing one of the early environmental puzzles:

The switches (which are mouse-driven) change the position of the floating platforms, but also change all other platforms to their opposite position.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:43 am

Here's a screenshot from the newly-created title screen:

And, of course, it's all fully animated.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:26 pm

Looking good @C-7 best of luck with your game!
slap it onto the flappy bird template...
bang it on google play with all the other shovelware...
sorted...
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:59 am

@Wrangler Thank you very much!

This week, I'm completing all of the menus, UI, and shop stuff. Next week is audio!

But I know you're here for the pictures and not for the words, so here's a screenshot from inside the first dungeon:

It features fancy lighting and shaders, a turret with seemingly foreign design principles/technology, and more of those wonderful spikey gates!

Also, something neat for players, the mouse is entirely context-sensitive. So if you hover over interactive objects, the mouse gives you information or directions. For instance, on NPC's it'll tell you their name. On doors, it'll tell you if they're locked or not. By default, the cursor is blue/teal, but if you're hovering over something clickable, the mouse turns white. This makes for a very intuitive experience for players.

Buuuut it screws my touchscreen support, so I'll have to rethink things for tablets.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:54 pm

It's clear you're putting a lot of effort and care into Courier, and I look forward to seeing how your music plays into the atmosphere!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:38 am

Last week's UI binge went very well. Logging in, the store, health meter, and all kinds of other UI/menu stuff got done and it works quite well!

This week is all about audio, which means I won't have any pretty screenshots to show until NPC week next week! I won't be posting works-in-progress for the music because I only want it to be seen when it shines. But to give you a taste, know that its a combination of live instruments and sampled instruments. It's orchestral, but, in my opinion, far more interesting and nice-sounding than a lot of indie stuff I hear. I plan on posting at least one of the completed tracks this weekend.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:24 am

Jolly who ! Seems a nice contestant to be in my bookmarks :D
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:00 am

@C-7
looking really good
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:51 am

Thank you very much everyone! This week has been about animating and adding NPC's throughout in addition to the two main playable characters (male or female).

(you'll see the NPC's later)C-72013-03-28 04:52:02
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:52 am

And, as promised, here are the NPC's!

B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests