Courier Video Series: Systems (and how I did them)

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:54 pm

Hey, I started a new video series behind the development of Courier (using C2, of course!). It's sort of a different entity than the devlog thread I keep on the forum, so I wanted to keep all of the video features in one location as they're released.

Don't forget you can help the project out by becoming a patron in the link below!

Systems, systems! Everywhere!

My fifth video feature is a feature about Lorin, your classmate and friend. There's also a special bonus look into the production of the second boss.

Video feature four details some of the texturing techniques I've used in Courier:

My third video feature shows the beginning of the game and how the story starts out:

In this second in the series, I show how maps are made in Courier:

In this first video, I highlight some of the magical abilities you gain in Courier:
Last edited by C-7 on Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:28 am, edited 7 times in total.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:02 pm

very nice, cool features, it starting to look quite the adventure !
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:34 pm

I added a new feature today about mapping! See some of my C2 workflow:

B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:20 pm

I've got a new feature video out! This one you get to see an early (and in-development) look at how the game begins and the start of the story. This is probably one of the biggest looks at the game yet, so check it out!

B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:39 pm

Nice soundtrack
B
S

Post » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:05 am

Great video series, some nice advanced tips for other devs to learn. :)
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:29 am

Silverforce wrote:Great video series, some nice advanced tips for other devs to learn. :)

Thanks a bunch! One of the next ones I think is going to get into a bit more of the nitty gritty of how the systems with together. I just need to make sure it stays interesting for the non-devs too.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:15 am

C-7 wrote:I added a new feature today about mapping! See some of my C2 workflow:

How many objects in this layout demo at last?
( I guess that it might more than 10,000. )
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:51 am

rexrainbow wrote:
C-7 wrote:I added a new feature today about mapping! See some of my C2 workflow:

yes, I see a lot of instance placed for making the terrain... I would use tilemap for this kind of work, that would be difficult to make all combination for the tilemap, but the result could be almost the same...
B
S

Post » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:34 pm

Ribis wrote:
rexrainbow wrote:
[saving space]

yes, I see a lot of instance placed for making the terrain... I would use tilemap for this kind of work, that would be difficult to make all combination for the tilemap, but the result could be almost the same...

@rexrainbow and @Ribis

Nothing of the sort. 1,287 objects on the layout after adding a little more after that video was recorded (and 40 MB vram).

Those reasons for not using a tilemap are precisely why I didn't. It would be a much higher workload with potentially inferior results and for a negligible performance increase. Sitting still, I'm at 14% cpu and 60 fps with all of the game systems running. Moving adds z-sorting, dust kick-up from the player, and a few other things so it does increase to about 19-20% cpu then.

I ran experiments with bouncing most of those terrain objects down to paster objects at the start of the layout. It turned out to be far less efficient than just multiple instances of the same objects (which are never checked for collision). It also takes a huge hit to the vram. A tilemap would either lack the diversity or require a significantly higher amount of work. If I put in the time to do all that, and it has that many possible outcomes, though, it actually seems as though it might be heading more intro the realm of huge vram consumption like the paster objects.

So I fully understand it looks strange to use so many instances, but I don't see any better solution in C2 and it has an almost negligible impact on performance so long as I'm not targeting mobile (where fillrate would be the problem).
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct 2 General