Create a text ticker?

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:27 pm

Hi, I would like to create something like a stock ticker of text (horizontal). Has anyone done something like this?

Failing that, I could try and keep my messages smaller than the available window, and just show one for a few seconds, then show the other (I guess I can't transition them - no WebGL on mobile devices yet).

Its something which is pretty easy in CSS, so perhaps I should be using that iframe plugin? But the I don't know how to communicate the text to the iframe?

Any suggestions most appreciated.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:04 pm

looking how to do something like this myself.

I have experimented with putting a sprite (ticker item) inside a box (another sprite).. then give the ticker item bullet and wrap, but it doesn't seem like you can make something wrap other than the layout or the viewport. So I tried making my own "wrap" functionality which works fine except I need to figure out how to make the sprites stay the same distance apart, which is not easy!
Last edited by jobel on Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:26 am

If it just for displaying long information once, this would work:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=63279269501623018564

if the same text is supposed to be repeating, you'd need to detect the text length in pixels somehow to properly loop it (len(x) could give a hint, but as long as you don't use a fixed-width font like Courier New, this won't lead to much) OR not make it fluid, but instead go letter by letter.
Visual Novel 'Engine' in 100 Events
if you ever have to choose between buying Construct 2 on scirra.com or on Steam, read this: Review
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:23 am

@mindfaQ I never saw this post until now, and the link is no longer good..

I'm still looking for a good way to do this... I've used an image and text, pinned the text to the image with bullet behavior. When the image gets to a certain point I Set Position to the beginning of the stock ticker. It works for a bit, but then all the objects start to vary distances apart.. and if you let it sit long enough, they overtake eachother! there has to be a better way..

if anyone has any suggestions...
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:36 am

@jobel,
Not exactly what you want... but it will give you a nudge in right direction.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You think you can do these things, but you can't, Nemo!
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:14 am

@DUTOIT thanks for this... I'm sort of doing it that way except not recreating the object which is probably the way to go. thanks! this helps!
B
S
G

Return to How do I....?