Create transition animations

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:47 am

i am having a hard time visualizing how i would go about playing a transition animation in between 2 states, for instance when the character changes directions from left to right and vice versa. So basically how do i play an animation when the character is turning around and running the other way, but then continues to play the run animation after the turn around animation?
B

Post » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:05 am

First, you won't use the default platform controls because those are instantaneous; instead you'll simulate control as your animations finish.

Basic workflow is like this:

- Character is facing right.
- Player presses left key.
- Test which direction character is facing. In this case it's right, so play the animation to turn from right to left.
- When the animation is finished, and if the player is still holding in the left key, you can then change the character's animation to walking/running/whatever and simulate movement left.

You need to specify animation changes at every key press, but only use those keypresses to control movement when your character is ready. A very controlled, methodical approach is necessary.

For reference, play lots and lots of the original Prince of Persia.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:18 am

thanks, that really helped a lot.
i got it working fine, here is a picture of the basic event sheet if anyone else is interested.
B

Post » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:34 am

I was also about to ask the same question as I need to incorporate a couple of turn animations too. Glad you figured it out.
B
S
G

Return to How do I....?