Creating appropriate sized speech bubbles

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:34 am

1) I'm checking text size once but with 0.05s delay. If you remember, I mentioned earlier that you need to wait till the next tick to allow the system to render the text.
After that I'm using Repeat 10 times to resize the bubble.

2) I didn't understand why you had "Wizard & newline", that's why I removed it :)

3) Global variable was just a quick and dirty solution.
But yeah, you should implement something like this instead of calling a different function for every new dialog line.

What are you going to do with the Source_text object (black text)? You are using it to measure the text, but how are you planning to hide it from the viewer?
Check out my awesome game Doptrix
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:51 am

dop2000 wrote:1) No, I'm checking text size once but with 0.05s delay. If you remember, I mentioned earlier that you need to wait till the next tick to allow the system to render the text.
After that I'm using Repeat 10 times to resize the bubble.

Yes, I remember that. I was trying to do that in my example, but what I was doing obviously wasn't working lol

dop2000 wrote:2) I didn't understand why you had "Wizard & newline", that's why I removed it :)

Oh fair enough. xD

dop2000 wrote:3) Global variable was just a quick and dirty solution.
But yeah, you should implement something like this instead of calling a different function for every new dialog line.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

dop2000 wrote:What are you going to do with the Source_text object (black text)? You are using it to measure the text, but how are you planning to hide from the viewer?

Well, from what I've worked out, I do need to have it in the visible screen. Obviously I don't want the player to see it, so I plan to hide it behind the background image when I get one made. =]
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:05 am

You can also set its opacity to 1 or even 0.01, and move it almost off the screen, so that just a couple of pixels of it are visible.
Check out my awesome game Doptrix
B
S
G

Previous

Return to How do I....?