Creating Expressions

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Sat May 18, 2013 1:51 am

I'm relatively new to Construct 2, so forgive me if I'm just overlooking the obvious.

Is it possible to write expressions in Construct 2? What I mean by that is, write a mathematical expression that returns a true or false value. I've looked around the tutorials on System Conditions, and also System Expressions, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

What I want to be able to do is add a life every time the player gets x amount of points. I was hoping to find a plugin that would allow me to resolve it to an expression, much like you would with an "if" statement;

if(Score % x == 0)
{ ... }

I could do it by storing a counter variable that increases with score, and then once it reaches x, add to score and reset the counter, but it seems a bit convoluted, if I could do the same task without the need for an additional variable.

I'm not sure if what I'm asking is possible. I haven't seen a plugin I can use to write expressions that can resolve to a true or false state. I'm just trying to ensure that I use Construct 2 as efficiently as possible.
B

Post » Sat May 18, 2013 1:59 am

you can compare two values in system conditions, and enter the expressions directly
https://www.scirra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=152506

And that is why you shall respect the bug reports guidelines, not only giving a capx is making the bug reproductible in one click in a situation they can work with (less time wasted trying to reproduce vague instructions) but also it helps filtering false positives.

Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 18, 2013 2:15 am

Yes, that's exactly what I was looking for. I was expecting it to be something I could enter a single expression into, but I imagine the same thing can be achieved by chaining additional logical operators into the second value field.

Got exactly what I needed now. Every time the player scores, I check if the score is exactly divisible by x. If it is, I add a life.

I'm so used to writing code that it's taking me a little time to adjust to the way Construct 2 events work.Nullus2013-05-18 02:16:31
B

Post » Sat May 18, 2013 3:06 am

You can also make conditional expressions using operators. Refer to this page of the manual, under Operators.
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 18, 2013 3:41 am

[QUOTE=7Soul] You can also make conditional expressions using operators. Refer to https://www.scirra.com/manual/78/expressions[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I see that. It's nice to know Construct has the Ternary (conditional) operator, but it's not immediately obvious how you apply it.

Using the manual's example, I would assume that:

First Value: health

Comparison: <

Second Value: 0 | score < 0 ? "Game over!" : "Keep going!".

Is how you would apply the conditional operator using the "Compare two values" plugin.

This is the reason I got stumped to begin with. I don't see why you can't just write it in as a single expression, rather than have to break it up. The syntax would be identical.Nullus2013-05-18 03:42:55
B

Post » Sat May 18, 2013 3:59 am

Logical operators return 0 or 1, and this include the = operator (not "=="). So you could do it this way :

First Value: Score % x = 0

Comparison: =

Second value: 1
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 18, 2013 6:07 am

[QUOTE=Nullus] [QUOTE=7Soul] You can also make conditional expressions using operators. Refer to https://www.scirra.com/manual/78/expressions[/QUOTE]

This is the reason I got stumped to begin with. I don't see why you can't just write it in as a single expression, rather than have to break it up. The syntax would be identical.[/QUOTE]
I think construct classic had this. It'd be pretty cool... sometimes I feel like it would be simpler and easier if I could do it in a line, instead of the 'compare values' dialog
Let me redirect this idea to @Ashley ^^
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 18, 2013 5:03 pm

[QUOTE=Magistross] Logical operators return 0 or 1, and this include the = operator (not "=="). So you could do it this way :

First Value: Score % x = 0

Comparison: =

Second value: 1[/QUOTE]

I didn't think of doing it that way. I do think it makes the intention look clearer.

@7Soul;

It'd be a much welcome addition. Writing a simple expression should require minimal effort, but having to split the expression does seem a little clunky. It's fine when working with two values, but for longer expressions an "If" Special Condition plugin, where you could type in the entire expression on a single line, would make a lot of sense.

I think what would make it distinct from "Compare two values" would be the ability to write full expressions, instead of continually nesting sub-events. For example;

Score % x == 0 && Health == 0

Because there's not an == operator as far as I'm aware, it's not possible to chain multiple "is equal to" operators. You'd have to nest sub-events.

I'm not saying it's not possible to accomplish the same thing by using "Compare two values", and sub-events, but it's very convoluted for something that could be accomplished with a single event.
B

Post » Sat May 18, 2013 11:04 pm

@Nullus

You can add multiple conditions to an event, so:

Compare Two values: (Score % YourVariable) = 0
      Compare Two values: Health = 0

the conditions are in a "And" Block by default

are your conditions, and you add a action to that single event.Aphrodite2013-05-18 23:16:35
https://www.scirra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=152506

And that is why you shall respect the bug reports guidelines, not only giving a capx is making the bug reproductible in one click in a situation they can work with (less time wasted trying to reproduce vague instructions) but also it helps filtering false positives.

Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 18, 2013 11:35 pm

[QUOTE=Aphrodite] @Nullus

You can add multiple conditions to an event, so:

Compare Two values: (Score % YourVariable) = 0
      Compare Two values: Health = 0

the conditions are in a "And" Block by default

are your conditions, and you add a action to that single event.[/QUOTE]

Ah. So the action isn't tied to just the one condition to the right of it? A block of conditions have to all be satified to perform the action?

Does it matter which condition the event is next to?

Edit: Ah. I understand now. They group together and are treated as a single larger event.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.Nullus2013-05-18 23:39:29
B

Next

Return to How do I....?