Creating games with no art ability. How'd you do it ?

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:11 am

Try to find any art tutorials using search engines. I recommend Google, Bing or Yahoo. Not everyone have a good art ability. If we practice, we can do better arts. Practice makes perfect.
Twitter | Facebook | Instagram

If you play Puyo Puyo games, you can meet me at the Puyo Puyo English Community Discord: https://discord.gg/0k41S8ARwvY2iTIQ
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:55 pm

I'm OK with graphics and can do simple things, but if I need anything more complicated I'll often buy it. GraphicRiver is a site I've used quite a bit - a search for "Game assets" there brings up a lot of results, and they don't cost much:

http://graphicriver.net/search?utf8=%E2 ... ame+assets
B
S

Post » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:21 pm

Use that to your advantage. Go for a very minimalistic look and think out of the box. A single square that can evolve into different shapes in a very cubic world in order to advance wont need fancy graphics and it could be great to play if you let your imagination and programming skills go crazy.
Cheers
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:14 pm

Or you can somehow turn your weakness into your strength. Have you seen Hubol's games like Jason and the Argonauts? (ttp://www.hubolhubolhubol.com/)
B
S

Post » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:28 pm

You diffidently aren't alone in this matter , left to my own graphics people would think it was made by a 5 year old .
What I know would fill a Book , what I don't know would fill a Library
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:15 am

I am horrible at art but am continuing to try my best to to create a consistent nice looking art style despite having no talent nor experience.
Which is important since the visuals are the first place people look at to gauge whether they are interested in your game or not.
Since I am terrible at it, I stick with very low resolution (320x240px) and small sprite size (32px) which allow me to modify how every single pixel look.

What I also learn is that a consistent art style and good color palette helps a lot in hiding my inability to draw well.
Hope that helps you.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:29 pm

Alternatively just use 3d :p
Im not artistic at all... but working in 3d masks that sometimes :p
B
S

Post » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:08 am

I'm pretty bad with art too, but I keep practicing. Bit by bit, I'm getting better at it!

A big problem for me, as a programmer, is having patience to draw more complex sprite sheets. I normally don't have too much patience for it :P
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:48 pm

As Macklemore said in 10,000 hours:
The greats weren't great because at birth they could paint
The greats were great cause they paint a lot

I used to think I was terrible at art, too - but it's just a matter of time spent doing it. Different people just have different levels of initial talent and interest. For me art comes really slowly, but I enjoy it. When I don't feel i have the time I usually just prototype with free art, or occasionally with assets I buy from different places around the internet.
Visit me at EgoAnt.com
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:46 pm

I simply just started trying it. I felt like you in the beginning. I started with stick figures and then started reading tuts on simple designs. Still not the best but I have upgraded far from stick figures. Ink scape is a good tool it's free and YouTube has some good tuts to follow and there are other tools you can use.

I also use Spriter for my animations.

You just have to get on it and learn. Once you're not afraid to break it.... YOU'LL MAKE IT!

Good Luck
Check out my latest game RAPID-TAPIT. Get your Fingercise on with this one. A steady Tap is all you need to score points. Lift a finger and see what you can do...

ALLMarkMade Designs
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas