Creating new sprites?

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Create your game with this complete pack of images and animations!
  • Is it possible to create a new sprite object (Not spawn a new instance) using Events or Python?

• There are actions from "System" object (tab "Create"):

Create object

Create object at image point

Create object by name

Create object relative by object

• No, you can't create entire new object types in events, only instances. Since Python is simply an interface to existing events, it can't either (there are no magical superpowers in Python )

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Would that be doable with a custom plugin?

Example: If someone wanted to create a sprite for a imported image, something like a tilemap plug.

• What is wrong with simply using an universal Sprite object?

• What is wrong with simply using an universal Sprite object?

You could set up animations on that, but it would be terribly contrived.

One thing you cant do with a single object is have different behaviors.

Then again you would need the ability to add behaviors during runtime as well.

Probably out of luck with bones tho....

• newt and I are on the same page/roadblock heh.

• heh

Probably the best thing would be a sprite object exporter/ importer. Something that could export all settings for the sprite as well as all behaviors, including mesh's, bones, animations, etc.

• Would that be doable with a custom plugin?

No, there is no interface provided to plugins to do this, and the runtime doesn't support it. The SDK doesn't have the capability to fundamentally change the way the runtime works, it merely communicates.

Besides, if you could, how would you add events to the new object type? It couldn't possibly appear in the event sheet editor.

• > Would that be doable with a custom plugin?

>

No, there is no interface provided to plugins to do this, and the runtime doesn't support it. The SDK doesn't have the capability to fundamentally change the way the runtime works, it merely communicates.

Besides, if you could, how would you add events to the new object type? It couldn't possibly appear in the event sheet editor.

Yeah It would be a pain, then you'd probably have to implement a target object, and that pretty much makes the whole idea pointless.

Perhaps just a generic sprite importer/ exporter for layouts?

• Perhaps just a generic sprite importer/ exporter for layouts?

this. all of this.

• why do they have to load dynamically? i dont get it. loading them at runtime isnt what you need for tilemaps, placing them at runtime is what you need.

but

if you have the ambition to make a tile dynamic loader thing. why not make a bunch of instances of a sprite with 1000 2x2 pixel sprites, and all behaviors added to it. then it wont take up much vram, and you can load the needed frames at runtime. if you need a different behavior disable all the others and enable the one you need. easier said than done, but no harder than what youre thinking of

• Like Ashley said there's no way to do it, especially since you cant point an event at something that doesn't exist.

So obviously using a blank or target object is the only way to do it.

We just need better tools to do that, and to tell the difference between the instances.

• Yea - i understand its runtime only at this point heh - this has been answered at least 5 different times and I think people are assuming I didnt get it the first time

Anyway... whats needed now is yes - better tools.

Also - as for dynamic loading I have a situation where we have an immense amount of data and want to develop a modular system where artists can import/test without needing to open up the Construct IDE. (Not just tiles - characters and what not)

• Yea - i understand its runtime only at this point heh - this has been answered at least 5 different times and I think people are assuming I didnt get it the first time

don't you get it?

it just can't be done

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)