Cross-Platform Online Leadboards ?

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:38 pm

Hello everyone.
I've spent around an hour or so, crawling on forums and looking for a solution to my need, but anything and everything I've found was insufficient, to say the least.

What I need is plain and simple. Multiplayer leaderboards with players score, that can be uploaded/downloaded on any platform (mobile, browser, desktop) if the player has access to internet, and of course - gave my game required permission. So we are talking about some online service + corresponding C2 plugin. Perfect solution would be either free or cheap. Anybody knows anything? :)
Image
B
9
S
2
G
1
Posts: 29
Reputation: 629

Post » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:45 pm

Well, I had the same problem some time ago. I downloaded almost every (free) Plugin available, but either they didn't work anymore (like many C2 Plugins, sadly even official ones) or they only worked in a specific platform. I came up with a free solution, which is to code the leaderboard yourself (don't worry if you don't know how to code, I don't know either and it works perfectly). You will need a server (I use a free server from freewebhostingarea.com). Follow this tutorial (it's old, but it still works):

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/4839/c ... sql/page-1
Let me know if you have any questions
B
21
S
6
G
1
Posts: 159
Reputation: 1,800

Post » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:53 pm

ChesVCF wrote:Well, I had the same problem some time ago. I downloaded almost every (free) Plugin available, but either they didn't work anymore (like many C2 Plugins, sadly even official ones) or they only worked in a specific platform. I came up with a free solution, which is to code the leaderboard yourself (don't worry if you don't know how to code, I don't know either and it works perfectly). You will need a server (I use a free server from freewebhostingarea.com). Follow this tutorial (it's old, but it still works):

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/4839/c ... sql/page-1
Let me know if you have any questions

Oh my! Thank you mosty kindly! :D
And it will work across all platforms?
Like, e.g. someone is playing on desktop and someone else on mobiles and they both see the same leaderboard?

EDIT:
Sadly, I just tried you hosting and it gave me:
Public registration was temporarily disabled! If you need an account, please contact us using [email protected].

:(
Image
B
9
S
2
G
1
Posts: 29
Reputation: 629

Post » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:23 pm

Niespor wrote:And it will work across all platforms?
Like, e.g. someone is playing on desktop and someone else on mobiles and they both see the same leaderboard?

Yes, it will. It works like this: each player can submit its score (with an AJAX call) to a server. All the AJAX POSTs go to the same server and are stored in the same database, no matter if it was posted from a mobile device or from a PC. When you display the leaderboard, you get the metadata from your server with an AJAX GET Request, and the same data is sended to all devices (no matter if desktop or mobile).
Are you familiar with servers and databases (PHP, SQL, etc.)? If not, don't worry. I didn't even know what a server was when I did this. If you need help, just ask.

Niespor wrote:EDIT:
Sadly, I just tried you hosting and it gave me:
Public registration was temporarily disabled! If you need an account, please contact us using [email protected].

:(

Hmm... Try to contact them, they usually answer within 24h.
B
21
S
6
G
1
Posts: 159
Reputation: 1,800

Post » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:56 pm

ChesVCF wrote:
Niespor wrote:And it will work across all platforms?
Like, e.g. someone is playing on desktop and someone else on mobiles and they both see the same leaderboard?

Yes, it will. It works like this: each player can submit its score (with an AJAX call) to a server. All the AJAX POSTs go to the same server and are stored in the same database, no matter if it was posted from a mobile device or from a PC. When you display the leaderboard, you get the metadata from your server with an AJAX GET Request, and the same data is sended to all devices (no matter if desktop or mobile).
Are you familiar with servers and databases (PHP, SQL, etc.)? If not, don't worry. I didn't even know what a server was when I did this. If you need help, just ask.

Niespor wrote:EDIT:
Sadly, I just tried you hosting and it gave me:
Public registration was temporarily disabled! If you need an account, please contact us using [email protected].

:(

Hmm... Try to contact them, they usually answer within 24h.

Well, networking and client-server was never my specialty. To tell you the truth last time I tried something like that it was about 4 years ago. Put if you say that the tutorial is still valid and working - I'll try it out =)
Do you use facebook by any chance? And if yes - would it be rude if I'd send a friend request your way?
Image
B
9
S
2
G
1
Posts: 29
Reputation: 629

Post » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:36 pm

@Niespor
I PMed you :)
B
21
S
6
G
1
Posts: 159
Reputation: 1,800


Return to How do I....?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dop2000 and 22 guests