Crosswalk Intel XDK experiences

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:47 am

saiyadjin wrote:why do you people use intel xdk anyway? just use visual studio 2015 to build & test your games -> it's way faster to test and you can hook up your device with usb cable and do local testing and so on...
you can get a free "community" version here:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/down ... io-vs.aspx

when you install - you have to install everything! (around 30GB install :) )

Ok, it's faster to test and you can hook up your device with usb. But how is it in regards to performance and filesize? I'm not able to make simple android games using intel XDK since it's filesize is +20mb and performance is meh, especially on samsung galaxy devices. Do you know if building it with VS fix these things or am I gonna stumble upon the same issues I have now? Thanks for the find tho! ;)
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:57 am

well hybrid apps are usually slower then native, that's nothing new, but if you aim android 5.0+ which is currently getting over 25% of market, and with release of 6 even more will be 5+ you can export with vs an apk without any use of crosswalk / intel xdk and so on and therefore you get faster performance and all.. if you aim 4+ android then you have to use crosswalk because 4.0. - 4.4 devices have no support on lots of things on default webview so crosswalk is a necessity. you can build that too with visual studio, might give you better results then intel xdk but it should be the same (haven't tried yet), there's some vids on my last post)
Sea Monsters template - Isometric
Also includes 40 pages PDF of optimizations and "how-to" for your games, and how the "sea monsters" template was built. Follow link for details :)

sea-monsters-templates-and-assets_t162705
B
S
G

Post » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:16 pm

Anyone is facing issues with intelXDK? It takes 2, 3, 4 runs to build it correctly! It's a pain in the ...
B
S

Post » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:49 pm

I suggest cocoon.io to those having problems with XDK. For my space shooter with few plugins, using canvas+ it only added 6mb to my finished APK size. Also, I had no audio issues and the performance is better than I was ever able to get with XDK. Oh yes - the screen orientation settings actually work too. There are some limitations and it still took me a while to export as there was a bug in the beta C2 version I was using at first.

https://cocoon.io/
B
S

Post » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Hi, do you know if there is admob option under cocoon?

tx.
B
S

Post » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:35 pm

Yes - AdMob native Ads for Android.
B
S

Post » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:58 am

it's laggy with admob plugin and it's pain with intel xdk and crosswalk
they should fix that people are migrate to other wrappers / browser
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:50 pm

I am still using Intel XDK-Crosswalk to build my apps and I am getting close to 60fps with my latest apps...
I also found a good ad provider with higher eCPM's than what I was getting with just AdMob before:
Check out my tutorial: :) 
https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/4896/s ... arning-ads  :)
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:26 pm

Hi All.
Can anybody please confirm if CrosswalkPlayer.8.37.189.2 is still the latest player or is there a newer one. To me this seems to be the latest, but let me ask as this version has not been updated in ages. Thanks .
B
S

Post » Tue May 31, 2016 5:59 pm

Hey guys. I tried building my first game today and got the:

"404: Intel XDK can't find your app Do you have index.html in your source directory?"

Any solutions to this?
Image Image Image
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General