Crosswalk Intel XDK experiences

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:41 am

Joannesalfa wrote:Hello @hmin I was wondering about a feature In-app purchase in Google Play using Crosswalk, I was waiting to release a game which is freemium but I can't release it without IAP feature. I've been waiting for long time.

When will we have this implemented feature? Thanks

@Joannesalfa, Maybe the phonegap plugin for IAP would help you. Search AndroidInAppBilling in github.com to check if it meets your requirements. You can follow the instruction for phonegap plugin integration to add it into your app.
B
S

Post » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:06 am

Guys, do you have some knowledge of how to force the app to start in landscape with CrossWalk?
No matter what i try, depending on the rotation of the device the app can start in portrait, and with that, i'm having a little glitch after the portrait Splashscreen, the screen is divided with a solid black and white for a short period, then it goes do the app.
B
S

Post » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:16 pm

@hmin I would avoid using Phonegap because it's very slow.

Are you saying it's impossible to implement IAP in Crosswalk as future version?
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:50 pm

Joannesalfa wrote:@hmin I would avoid using Phonegap because it's very slow.

Are you saying it's impossible to implement IAP in Crosswalk as future version?

@IntelRoberts had said they are going to implement Store and iAds, I believe the timeframe was June/July.

Fingers crossed.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:39 pm

hmin wrote:
GeometriX wrote:Hi hmin, I'm currently in the process of moving over from CJS to Crosswalk, and I came across this issue. What is the resolution process for this bug? Is this something that you guys deal with on your side, or is WebGL just never going to work with Crosswalk on a Galaxy S3 due to a driver bug that's beyond your control?

I understand that blacklist ignoring is something that's coming up soon in Intel XDK. Will it be safe to simply ignore blacklistsed GPUs to ensure WebGL works? I've been testing on my GS3 using Cocoon for some time now (with WebGL enabled), and it's always behaved itself fine.

@GeometriX, currently Crosswalk disables WebGL internally by default for a buggy driver , which means WebGL would never works unless gpu blacklist is ignored .

If you want to ignore gpu blacklist by manual, from Crosswalk 6, it allows to add app-specific command line options by adding a new asset file to your apk. You can add <APP_DIR>/assets/xwalk-command-line into your apk with the following content:
Code: Select all
xwalk --ignore-gpu-blacklist

and then rebuild your apk.

I would like to try this out but I don't know how. Where exactly in the process of exporting with Construct, importing into Intel XDK, building and installing the build do I do this? Do I have to modify the built APK file (because then I would have to resign it, right?) or can I do this BEFORE building with Intel XDK?

EDIT: I read the Crosswalk Documentation and tried out making a blank file named 'xwalk-command-line' containing the single line: 'xwalk --ignore-gpu-blacklist'. I copied this file to the root directory of the App (before compiling, the one containing index.html). I then built the App with Intel XDK and Crosswalk 6 (beta) enabled. This didn't work.

P.S.: I am doing all this because on my test device, a Galaxy S2, the GPU seems to be blacklisted and WebGL is disabled by default.
B
S

Post » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:27 pm

On another note: Will there be a permament fix for the situation in the near future? I mean, a lot of devices seem to be blacklisted for WebGL by Chromium and thus Crosswalk and this means crappy performance for all those phones, right?

Unfortunately, for me, Crosswalk is the only viable Android Export option as CocoonJS's inability to render Fullscreen Letterbox is a dealbreaker for my game.
B
S

Post » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:58 pm

@kbm
its really funny! i have all your problem.
I don't know how to what hmins says
and i have Galaxy S2. i cant run webgl with crosswalk. and i have problem with cjs.

when i export with cjs, my game dose not work in my phone. but in note 10.1 2012 edition it works fine. is it because its ram?
and why crosswalk get lower ram? is it slower than cjs?
if i enable webgl, is it possible that my game dosent run in my phone because of more ram needing?
and is it harm for phone? why they make this blacklist?
B
S

Post » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:59 pm

@kbm I think @hmin refers to the assets folder inside the app_src folder. You can find it downloading the Crosswalk binaries. You'll have to pack your app by yourself without using the intel XDK cloud compiler. Currently there's no way to enable the ignore-gpu-blacklist flag with the Intel XDK.
See here: https://crosswalk-project.org/#documentation/downloads

@hmin
Regarding my performance issue. I have a device powered by an Adreno 305 GPU that AFAIK it's not blacklisted and when I check the current renderer with the C2 system expression I get the "WebGL" string (there's no swiftshader on android and I should get "Canvas2D" as a result if I'm blacklisted, am I right?)
I had the performance drop migrating form XWalk5 to XWalk6 but when I test my game on the device browser I don't see any difference between Chrome 34 and Chrome 35.
Since nobody else on this forum noticed it I'll do some profiling on my device.

A little edit:
I read the last pages of this thread and I found a lot of misunderstandings.
@hmin is talking about the CrossWalk project, not about the intel XDK cloud compiler based on it.
@joannesalfa: @hmin didn't suggest you to use phonegap instead of crosswalk. Since Crosswalk has native support for the cordova extensions you can use them inside it without using the native webview. Unfortunately the double name phonegap/cordova is still generating a lot of confusion.
B
S

Post » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:03 pm

Knifegrinder wrote:@kbm I think @hmin refers to the assets folder inside the app_src folder. You can find it downloading the Crosswalk binaries. You'll have to pack your app by yourself without using the intel XDK cloud compiler. Currently there's no way to enable the ignore-gpu-blacklist flag with the Intel XDK.
See here:

Thanks for your post. I tried self-compiling but failed miserably because setting my path variable got screwed up and I got errors :(

Anyways, ignoring the gpu-blacklist is not an option for a release build on Android, what other options do we have, then? From what I've read in this thread the Samsung Galaxy S2 and S3 both seem to be blacklisted? These two phones alone represent a significant amount of Android-Users, right? - so just accepting that our Crosswalk-Apps run on these phones only in Software-Rendering doesn't seem like a good option.

Unless someone can convince me of a better way to handle the problem?

EDIT: I managed to get the Crosswalk-System including Python, Ant, JDK etc. up and running but it's giving me errors when I try to compile via make_apk.py

It just says "AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'maxint' error and I'm stuck on this
B
S

Post » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:50 am

Samsung S3 and S4 make the bulk of the Android market, S2 is really ancient and its marketshare is quite low. But definitely S3 should be targeted in any Android game.

They have said the next version of XDK will have the option to ignore GPU blacklist. There's still lots of things on their to-do list, we'll just have to be patient.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General