Crosswalk Performance Mega-thread

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:25 am

Ashley wrote:So there's a bug which makes v-sync choppy, but it's temporary and will be fixed. It's already fixed on Chrome 45 on desktop as far as I can tell - it solidly hits within 0.1ms of v-sync every frame.

Yes it has been fixed as far as I can tell too... finally lol.
You think you can do these things, but you can't, Nemo!
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:58 am

@szymek
If i had a lot of money I would never ever in my life choose Unity, even although it's somewhat free now I will still never chose that engine.
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:11 am

Everyone has their choices
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:26 am

@DUTOIT

I just checked my simple platformer game in Google Chrome 45 (canary). It has good framerate but I can see re-drawing of the i.e. tilemap while moving character. I don't know how to call this effect. It is also visible within enemies movement.

in general my game runs better on much slower mobile, but with CocoonJS,
than on my destop with Chromium.

@shinkan

ok, up to you. But you wouldn't use Construct 2 too*. Unless you would like to be killed by company owners,
when you would quote Ashley's words about waiting for some 3rd party bug fixing.

* - one exception: super simple 1 screen game :)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:52 am

szymek wrote:in general my game runs better on much slower mobile, but with CocoonJS,
than on my destop with Chromium.

Wow, how old is your pc? So you are saying your slower mobile is outperforming your pc, something must be wrong.
You think you can do these things, but you can't, Nemo!
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:14 pm

@szymek
It really depend on the project. Personally i hate playing and developing mobile games xD but job is the job. You get simple games and more complicated ones and it's all up to you to decide what engine you want to choose. For example i would never use C2 for 3d game - even with amazing Q3D plugin, because it's a bit to complicated. I found UE4 a lot easier than C2+Q3D :)
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:22 pm

@DUTOIT

It's ~3 years old laptop with dual core AMD A4-3305M APU. I'm not targeting desktops, but anyway in my case the latest Canary still isn't as good as old NodeWebkit. So I doubt that it will be better on mobiles. That's why I still bet on Ludei Cocoon.io
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:26 pm

@shinkan

I've tried your test on Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 SM-T110

webGL
Vivante GC1000
10-11% CPU
44-47 FPS

XDK export is unusable at this moment for scrolling games or anything which involves moving sprites.
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:36 pm

@Shinkan

when we talk about mobiles, the point is that Crosswalk is not as good as Ashley believes (because he does not use it) and without Ludei many C2 devs would be in really, really deep...

But I will use Crosswalk for my new simple project, just because it supports Text object and it won't be a game

@Noga

but Ashley said "Crosswalk is our wrapper for Android 4.x compatibility, and it really does provide by far the best results on those platforms."
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:50 pm

It's hard to optimize for every device on the market and here in Scandinavia almost every single person young as old has a high end device so it's easy to forget to test on these older phones when everyone you know can run the game smooth as silk.

But the truth is that C2 works just fine for medium+ performance devices if you know what you're doing. It's a really great and simple engine that makes it possible for someone to create a game without any programming knowledge.

So if you want to reach the low end devices you might have to choose another engine for now. But soon the technology will be otimized and be less demanding and phones around the world will be better as well.

You can't compare C2 with buidlbox games which are super simple free casual games that the buildbox team has developed and put huge amounts in marketing to make them top the list on the app stores just to be able to use them to market their super over prized engine. The performance on buildbox is great but as said before it is really really really limited and as basic as it can be. Only good for simple casual games.

But I'm not saying that I wouldn't want a native export for C2. I would love that. But I do understand that everything costs money and if you believe that C2 should have all it's features it has atm which are alot more than most other engines and also every feature super expensive engines like buildbox has your're living in a dream world. A few hours at work and you can afford to buy a C2 licence.

But I could easily pay alot more for C2 if it one day had native export. The problem is how many would?
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General