CrowdGaming - your smartphone is your controller

Discussion of tools and resources for game developers

Post » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:15 pm

Hi OneMuppet, I would also love to test, provide some feedback.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:55 pm

I'd love to give this a go too please!
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:59 am

OneMuppet, have sent you an email as I can't pm (7 points short lol).
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:36 pm

Hi,
I worked in videogame industry for few years now (as Creative Director and Game Designer).
A project using this concept was developped few years ago, using AS3, Orbit and Minko 3D engine.
(you can still test it on http://themirage.fr/)

I'm still surprised that so few company developped project like this!
I think this is the futur! Most people have smartphone today, most of them have a computer, and now Connected TV is the new standard. So if we can create great game people can easily play with friends, using their mobile... Waow!
No more need to have a console or gamer computer ! A simple web browser and a mobile, and let's go !

So beside my job, I started to work on a game design based on this new way to play. Actually it's based on differents boardgames and Roleplay game (like "Earth Reborn" which is sooooo coool, but sooooo long to play in real life !!!).
I really think that this kind of game should be the best project to prototype :
- First, you don't need realtime interactions (like in a plateformer or a FPS), cause you are very dependant to your internet and wifi connexion, device quality and possibility, number of players...
- Second, this kind of game offer a real interest in using multiple screens! I mean create a SNES controller on a mobile is really not creative! You have to look beyond traditionnal video game !
Imagine each player having on his mobile or tablet his character Sheet, inventory, secret information, he can program many actions, interact with the game just by finger draging an objet from his mobile toward the screen, etc...) Be creative !
- Third : these games don't need 3D Engine with highpoly 3D environment running at 60 fps !
2D Artwork and smooth animation is great enough ! And 2D games can run on most browsers !
So your game can be played by more people !

Well... I'm still working on my GDD but I allready have most of the core gameplay design, game mecanisms, UI drafts, etc... For the last few weeks I was looking for differents technical solutions to prototype it, like using WebRTC or Orbit to link the game and the differents device... (I also like in themirage.fr the simple idea of using a QRCode to add a new player! Fast and easy!)

So, I would be VERY VERY interesting in testing your solution !!!! Hope you can add me to your tester list !

Thx
B

Post » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:45 pm

@Amadeus
I'm really glad to hear, I agree with you that this kind of concept opens a lot of possibilities, and turn based games are definitely one of them! I'm in the middle of some modification of the CrowdGaming server and also some tweaks and updates to the capx-file. It should be finished on pretty soon (some time between today and friday). I could give you access to the 2.1 beta pack, but I think it's better if you wait for the next release. I'll send you the link when it's ready.

Can you PM me your email address I don't think I got it in the last PM?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:57 pm

Sure, no problem!
Thx!

Can't wait to test it!
B

Post » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:17 pm

This is what's new in the next release:
- Avatar (controlled character) is visible in controller
- Score tracking, in main game highest score = first place
- Added animations, and changed sprites (in the example game collectItems).

Server
- Cleaned up the code, removing quite a bit of unused code.
- Some optimizations to let the most common actions execute quicker

----------------------------------------
Also since the first "Setup" video, I've changed so that you no longer need to separate construct 2 instances. The controller and the game are both in the same capx-file. In short the setup should be:
- Install Construct 2
- Install Nodejs
- restart computer (if needed)
- open a command prompt (winkey+r and type cmd)
- type: cd "C:\Games\CrowdGaming Beta-v3" <----------- path to the directory where you have the CrowdGaming beta pack.
- type: npm install nodejs-websocket
- type: node server.js
the server is now started, to stop it, click on the command prompt window and hit ctrl+c

- Start Construct 2 (Run as administrator) set up so that you can preview over lan
- Open the event sheet called Start and change the variable called "prodUrl" to match your ip (do not remove the port number, :8002)
- You may need to restart Construct 2 once if you changed the preview on LAN address, setting
- Run Construct 2 as Administrator
- Make sure you are in the "Start" layout when you hit "Play"
- The first browser-tab will be the MainGame, the following will be controllers, if you access the same address with a smart phone that too will be a controller.

The test/development-cycle is very quick once you have done this initial setup, because you can code you changes and hit play and instantly play the game.

B
S
G

Post » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:02 pm

@OneMuppet this awesome so far! Really enjoying messing with this and coming up with some fun ideas for it. I have had no problem setting it up at home on my PC with Construct 2 on it using my IP address. But I have had some trouble this morning trying to figure out what to use if I wanted to run it on my work laptop which is a Mac. I have VMware and able to use Construct 2 on there but not sure how to set it up for other computers to run on. I know you mentioned exporting as html, but when I tried that and put them on my Mac it tries to use the whole file//: stuff instead of an IP address. Any kind of suggestions would help a lot!

Thanks again and keep up the awesome work!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/pudgyplatypus

Learn to make a clicker game for cheap!
https://www.scirra.com/store/games-with ... e-game-666

Try out Pixel Golf on the Scirra Arcade!
https://www.scirra.com/arcade/sports-ga ... el-golf-67

Pudgy Platypus Games website!
www.pudgyplatypus.com
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:13 pm

Djfuzion,

Download and install xampp on your mac. Use the xampp control panel to start apache. Then export Onemuppets package as html5 to the xampp htdocs directory (D:\xampp\htdocs on my windows PC). You should then be able to browse to your macs ip address and see the game/ controller.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:01 pm

@Djfuzion
Hi! I'm also running this on a virtual windows machine on my mac. I'm using parallels, which is similar to VMware, if I remember correctly you can also use a bridged connection when setting up the network between your host machine and VM. This is the network setting that I'm using which allows me to connect to my VM from my Mac, and also connect to my VM with my smartphone/ipad etc.

---------------

Other wise just do this.
- Get the mac.s ip and add it to the prodUrl variable.
- Add the server.js file as a file in the construct 2 project (so that it will be exported with the project).
- Export from Construct 2 to some folder that you can access from your mac (so that don't have to copy paste anything).
- Switch over to your mac, and open the terminal, cd into the directory where you exported the game to
- type: npm install nodejs-websocket
- type: node server.js
- type: python -m SimpleHTTPServer 8080

now you can browse: http://<ipOfYourMac>:8080 and everything should work fine. It will most likely run much better on the mac with the python Simple http server than it does on the VM, at least it does for me
(or maybe it's just my mac being jealous that I spend so much time in windows?)

use: cmd + . to stop the node and python webserver (you probably already knew that but I tend to forget those key combos so I'd figure I'll throw it in here).
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Tools and Resources