CrowdGaming - your smartphone is your controller

Discussion of tools and resources for game developers

Post » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:32 am

Ashley responded on Twitter:
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:11 am

Yeah, support for a networked controller really ought to be done by a custom plugin, rather than adding binary support to websockets. It would hardly be intuitive to use if you had to send and receive binary data. It would be much better if the plugin looked like the Gamepad plugin, and all of that happened internally. And Javascript can of course send and receive binary data.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:43 am

@Ashley I agree that it could be a good idea to make it into a plugin, I will keep that in mind when moving forward. Thanks for the input! My approach when using the existing plugins, so far is to abstract away everything "complex" so that a developer would only have to "include" the engine event sheet, to build a game, or the controller event sheet to build a controller. I've also included examples of controllers and games, built on top of the engine/controller "base event sheets". This of course gives the developer 100% control to change the base if they want to. That said I do think simplicity weigh heavier than control.

Also here is a preview of the CrowdGaming beta v4, new in this release:
- joystick controller
- new template game (simple shooting game)
- made it a bit more generic, the actions are now only called action1, action2, action3 instead of left, right, jump etc then it's up to the game maker to decided what to do with the value of those actions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p9UsWfPupE
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:39 pm

Keep up the great work OneMuppet

I've had a lot of fun the last few days playing with it and coming up with game ideas.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:09 pm

@OneMuppet
Congratulations...your work its incredible.
Take my money please!! :)

B
S

Post » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:51 am

@ximo @justifun
Thank you! I really think this can open up some interesting new possibilities for Construct 2 developers!
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:48 am

@justifun @ximo @Amadeus @russpuppy @rocky53204 @nonom @oldandgrey @Djfuzion @socialpilgrim @miketolsa @stefanos

I've given it some thought regarding creating a plugin for the CrowdGaming Controller and MainGame, and I've decided to give it a shot. I will build a custom plugin that modifies and extends the current websocket plugin. This will expose less of the paring logic to the developer since this is done in the plugin.

I have a fairly ok plugin right now and the next step is to start converting the example games and controllers so that they are using the plugin instead of excessive event sheet string parsing.

A brief plugin featurelist:
- Set Action1, Action2, Action3, Action4, SingelAction1, SingelAction2
- Send Actions, checks if there are anything new to send and sends it
- Send Actions To, same as above but to specific "player" OR use 'all' to broadcast to all players at once.
- Send Avatar Type To, send avatar type to specific player
- When OnMessage is triggered, ReceiveAction1, ReceiveAction2 etc will be available
- On Avatar Received
- On Player Dropped
And some more things

Because of this the beta v4 release has been a bit delayed, but hopefully I will have enough time the coming days to release it this week.

Looking forward to your feedback!
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:32 pm

Hi @OneMuppet,
just wander why you limit to 4 Actions and 2 SingleActions ?
I thought we can create as many global number and global text as we need, and send our customized actionstring to the game...

"Send Actions To" : nice !
B

Post » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:34 pm

@OneMuppet

If you want feedback from someone else I would be happy to be on your beta tester list
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:36 pm

@Amadeus
I do think that this setup will cover a majority of cases. One action can contain a lot of information, that you could "parse" with your own logic. Or you could use the Array Object, fill it with data:
use Action1 = "array" and
Action2 = array.AsJson
and then on the receiver side write the logic:
On Message
CrowdGaming.ReceiveAction1 === "array"
Array Load From Json CrowdGaming.ReceiveAction1

You could do things like that to send and receive whole objects, but that is more for turn based games than platformers of course, because of the data size.

That said I would love to hear more thoughts and ideas. I could add a "send custom actions string" Action that you can use to send anything you want and then also a simple receiveCustomActionString expression that would be filled when On Customer Action String is triggered, for example.

@russpuppy could you PM me your email address, if you havn't allready and I'll add you to the list of beta testers.

I have finished creating the first version of the plugin and I have also converted the example games and example controllers to use the new plugin. I will test it a bit more and in a best case scenario send out a the beta version 4 pack to day, otherwise tomorrow. :)
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Tools and Resources