CrowdGaming - your smartphone is your controller

Discussion of tools and resources for game developers

Post » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:08 pm

CrowdGaming beta v4.2 is out and you should have received an email if you are in the beta program.

There are some important things to note:
- A lot of the logic has moved from the event sheets to the CrowdGaming plugin
- Remember to "install" the plugin, by copying the folder "C:\Games\CrowdGaming beta v4.2\plugin\CrowdGaming" to "C:\Program Files\Construct 2\exporters\html5\plugins\"
- The CrowdGaming plugin has a property called "server ip-address" make sure you set this to your current ip.

Try it and let me know what you think
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:02 am

I'm still trying to make sense of what's going on with this, sorry if my questions have already been answered before. I'm trying to think ahead to how this could be made into a marketable game. Hopefully my questions aren't too confusing, let me know if they don't make sense and I'll try to ask another way.

I'm wondering what the best alternative will be for people who want to run the game server not in Construct 2 preview over LAN (for example, a game that is distributed via Steam can't rely on Construct 2 to host the game over LAN). I'm wondering how players will access the game.

There's a few possible ways I could see this working:
- The controller game file is hosted on a web server somewhere, players could go to this URL and type in the IP address of the server they want to connect to
- The controller game is a downloadable APK file (distributed via Google Play or elsewhere), the IP address could be typed in. Would this work with Crosswalk?

Or is there something I'm not understanding about how the nodejs server works? It doesn't distribute the game files over the network does it (for example, if the server game was run with nodejs server and the NW.js compiled executable)?

I guess I'm a little confused about ports too and how this will work out... will the player hosting the game need to go through the firewall port settings to allow other players to connect?

B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:48 am

@russpuppy I haven't looked into this yet, my first priority is to get this up and running. For people that want to build CrowdGaming games in that is hosted in a "controlled way". For instance if you have a client that want's to promote their new product at an expo. You could build a cool game for them that anyone walking by their stand could connect with their smartphone and play the game with a chance to win. Or for the office party, or connect your game to one of the big screens at Times Square New York, and let anyone that walks by play the game with their smartphone ;)

But what you are mentioning is of course very important. I got pretty far when testing this morning. By simply including the server.js file into the project, then using NWjs run file "node ""server.js""" On Start Of Layout in the start layout (weird thing is it only connects correctly every other time (could be some sort of current directory issue?). After this I can use my smartphone to access the same ip as you do with preview over LAN, the NWjs starts a webserver on that ip, it seems. So what does this mean? Well for me it tells me it is possible to have CrowdGaming games on steam , I will look into this more when the foundation of the CrowdGaming concept feels stable enough.

If anyone has experience with launching games on steam using NWjs I would love to know more. :)
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:22 am

I did something similiar using the multiplayer plugin. It actually worked pretty well.

For example: Tablet put onto table holds the texas hold em cards. and each player connects via their phone as peers.

The only hickup was you hand to have your game screen device connect first to create a room and password and become the host. Then the peers could connect knowing the private room name and password.
Worked pretty well when webtrc was working and the signalling server was playing nice - lol
You think you can do these things, but you can't, Nemo!
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:27 am

@DUTOIT webrtc is definitely the way to go, but until it has support in the browser on iOS devices I think websocket is the best option.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:10 am

nice !
i'll give a try to the plugin this afternoon.
Thx !
B

Post » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:09 pm

@OneMuppet Very nice !! I would like to try this plugin!
I think the best way is Webrtc and UDP/IP ...but its not supported for any browsers.
@DUTOIT ...is posible use multiplayer without signalling server? Only LAN automatic conexions...and the first is the master/game server.
Please I can try as he has done your experiment with multiplayer?
Tx!
B
S

Post » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:52 pm

ximo, no you need a signalling server to connect the players, once connection is made you no longer need signalling server. The signalling server is just to make the connection.
You think you can do these things, but you can't, Nemo!
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:03 pm

Tx dutoit..but my question is ...is posible by example 1 apk server/player . The first connection is game and the others its player?. All whitout server online ...only LAN offline ;)
B
S

Post » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:20 pm

I thought part of the idea of using the websocket nodejs server was that a signalling server wasn't required (am I wrong there?)

If you're using WebRTC though you have to either have an internet connection to connect to the signalling server or else use the signalling server from the scirra store https://www.scirra.com/store/game-makin ... server-161 -- though the problem I see with buying that is sadly the license only allows you to use it yourself, not distribute it to people that buy your game. So you could really only set the signalling server up for yourself, not for people who have bought your game on Steam and want to set up their own LAN game (for example).

Sorry if that's taking this thread too off topic, I'm just still trying to make sense of webrtc vs websockets/nodejs vs other alternatives....
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Tools and Resources