Current Status/Practical Uses of Construct2

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sat May 20, 2017 9:11 am

1. Desktops (via Nodekit)
-Mac port
Has terrible performance to the point that even the simplest game runs like PowerPoint slideshow/presentation, rendering the game unplayable. So there goes that niche but lucrative Apple audience.

-Linux port
Most of the time the game won't even run or run with an error or like Mac port - a slideshow. So there goes the not really lucrative BUT loyal and caring audience.

-Windows port
only 32bit (64bit Nodekit is slow as hell and buggy) and doesn't have a native support for the most lucrative storefront on the planet (Steam) because official Steam API plugin is unfinished, buggy and is lacking features. The only way to get it working is via paid plugin from Scirra Store, that is always up2date, has all the features and is bugfree. And its price is like half of the whole Construct 2 price lol.

2. Browsers/Flash Portals
The only real way to make money on Flash Portals are Idle Clickers and in most cases that still not enough, you have to add IAPs, do you like the idea or not. And even so - its just a waste to put your game on Flash Portals because it will generate only a fraction of the revenue it would generate on mobile platforms. There is a reason why all the Flash Portals and Adobe Flash is dying you know - because if you are not pure hobbist or Idle Clicker factory - its just not worth it.

3. Mobiles
Just died. XDK is no more, PhoneGap doesn't have all the features and there is literally no knowledge base for how to get it working via PhoneGap. It took me a lot of time to get an APK version of my HTML5 game, 48h later I still have no idea how to modify the build to include IAPs or Ads. There are few other options but they are either paid or has terrible performance.

4. Selling your game to someone else
Is not an option, because C2. No one will ever buy the source of even a great game if it requires him to deal with 3rd party Game Maker engine that is obligatory if you want to update or expand the game source YOU BOUGHT.

So. Now what? All those years for nothing? Scirra products were always a headache once you actually finished your game but still - the end result could be called a Game. Now its just a toy. You can make a game with it. Show it to your friends. And that's all. A beautiful car with a great design and features. With no wheels.

Sounds bitter? As hell. But I am here not to bash Scirra or Construct - I am looking for solutions. I want someone to come over here and tell me that I am all wrong. That I am missing something. Its not about who's wrong or right. At this point I really don't give a damn. All I care about is - finding a way out. For example - a working clone of XDK for mobiles that can be used for someone who is not native programmer. That'll be a start.

I really don't want to switch engines. Because megaton of reasons. :'(
B
28
S
8
G
7
Posts: 643
Reputation: 6,457

Post » Sat May 20, 2017 10:09 am

Can you provide any actual examples or performance data? The NW.js exports run great across all OSs last time I tested.
Scirra Founder
B
397
S
236
G
88
Posts: 24,412
Reputation: 194,514

Post » Sat May 20, 2017 10:31 am

Ashley wrote:Can you provide any actual examples or performance data? The NW.js exports run great across all OSs last time I tested.

No idea how would I do that. Exported a very simple game that doesn't use even 1% CPU. Gave it to 3 different Mac users and the game run 3-5FPS at best for all of them. Newest Nodekit version. No WebGL shaders. Besides - what about the rest of the issues? Because Mac export is like the last important one. Besides #2 - if anything is guilty its the wrapper, aka the element you have no control of. And even if its working - its worthless, if there is no valid monetization solution.
B
28
S
8
G
7
Posts: 643
Reputation: 6,457

Post » Sat May 20, 2017 11:03 am

If the project is really as simple as described and performs as you say it does, you may have found an underlying engine flaw - please share the example.
B
59
S
21
G
10
Posts: 643
Reputation: 10,293

Post » Sat May 20, 2017 11:11 am

Elliott wrote:If the project is really as simple as described and performs as you say it does, you may have found an underlying engine flaw - please share the example.

It is simple but it is commercial. It includes 3rd party copyright material and had been developed for a 3rd party client. NDA forbidden me to share it with anybody not related to the client or me. Sorry. I can't risk getting sued. And as I said - Mac port working or not working is just a small piece of the overall problem. What about mobiles? What about IAPs? What about Ads? What about Steam API? what about the rest of my post?
B
28
S
8
G
7
Posts: 643
Reputation: 6,457

Post » Sat May 20, 2017 11:22 am

all this is sad but true lol

if Construct 3 has an IAD and IAP plugin that WORKS without having to call any third party people will be more than happy..
Image

Image
B
38
S
14
G
7
Posts: 408
Reputation: 8,338

Post » Sat May 20, 2017 11:33 am

IJCT wrote:all this is sad but true lol
if Construct 3 has an IAD and IAP plugin that WORKS without having to call any third party people will be more than happy..

Except I am using Construct 2 not 3. The only scenario I would even consider switching to Construct 3 is if I would be offered a free upgrade Construct2 -> Construct 3. But that too would be pointless from business perspective because currently C3 offers around 10% of what Construct2 is offering and it will take around 1-2 years for C3 to catch up to C2.

Anyway - that's not the topic here. I don't want this thread to turn into a "Scirra Hating" and get it locked. I am really looking for solutions not for a fight.
B
28
S
8
G
7
Posts: 643
Reputation: 6,457

Post » Sat May 20, 2017 12:37 pm

irbis wrote:
Elliott wrote:If the project is really as simple as described and performs as you say it does, you may have found an underlying engine flaw - please share the example.

It is simple but it is commercial. It includes 3rd party copyright material and had been developed for a 3rd party client. NDA forbidden me to share it with anybody not related to the client or me. Sorry. I can't risk getting sued. And as I said - Mac port working or not working is just a small piece of the overall problem. What about mobiles? What about IAPs? What about Ads? What about Steam API? what about the rest of my post?


I understand what you're saying, but there isn't a client in the world that would be happy with your stated 3-5fps, so the project clearly isn't commercially viable - surely they'd allow you to share it (especially sans assets) with the engine developers if it resulted in a working end product for them?

The rest of your post still stands, I emphasize immensely.
B
59
S
21
G
10
Posts: 643
Reputation: 10,293

Post » Sat May 20, 2017 1:10 pm

Elliott wrote:
irbis wrote:
Elliott wrote:If the project is really as simple as described and performs as you say it does, you may have found an underlying engine flaw - please share the example.

It is simple but it is commercial. It includes 3rd party copyright material and had been developed for a 3rd party client. NDA forbidden me to share it with anybody not related to the client or me. Sorry. I can't risk getting sued. And as I said - Mac port working or not working is just a small piece of the overall problem. What about mobiles? What about IAPs? What about Ads? What about Steam API? what about the rest of my post?


I understand what you're saying, but there isn't a client in the world that would be happy with your stated 3-5fps, so the project clearly isn't commercially viable - surely they'd allow you to share it (especially sans assets) with the engine developers if it resulted in a working end product for them?

The rest of your post still stands, I emphasize immensely.

Sadly, not really. You have to understand that people in suits don't care. There is no compassion or sympathy in the world of business. There is my name on the NDA. At the same time - there is my name also on a contract that I have to fulfill and I cannot - due to Construct2 exporting modules currently falling apart. The same game works flawlessly on Windows and Browsers.
I can perhaps defend myself against lack of working Mac port and native Steam API (I will have to spend extra on that Steam Plugin from Scirra Store :\ ) but lack of a working mobile version that I can equip with at least Ads is a deal breaker.

Many of Construct 2 users are hobbyists but I am using the software for work (which, from perspective of past years was probably one of my biggest mistakes in life and the main reason why I won't be getting anywhere near C3 or anything made by Scirra in the future).

It means that if Construct 2 went back to 'RPG Maker' category of game engines - then I am in serious troubles. Because I've spent the last 7 years learning and mastering the software. It means all those years had been a waste of time because now I will be forced to drop the software and a fair share of the software-related knowledge/experience and switch to another engine and re-learn everything. Rendering me virtually jobless and worthless on the market of developers for years to come. Because Construct mastery does not transfer to any other game engine really.

At this point I think I don't need to explain the gravity of the situation and how important it is for me to find a solutions to problems explained above. And I cannot leave this forum without those solutions. Its not my choice anymore.

For the record - the most urgent fix I need right now, is to be able to export and publish games for Android/GooglePlay platform WITH at least AdMob running and Crosswalk (for <5.0 androids).

I have the games ready. They're lightweight, done and finished. I have the products. Now I need to deliver the products to the platform. Otherwise, I will have a very nasty situation. How can I do that? Because I assume there is a way.
B
28
S
8
G
7
Posts: 643
Reputation: 6,457

Post » Sat May 20, 2017 1:29 pm

So is the topic "Current Status/Practical Uses of Construct2", or "I can't export to mobile"?
Image ImageImage
B
169
S
50
G
173
Posts: 8,316
Reputation: 110,276

Next

Return to Construct 2 General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AnimH01, Refeuh and 9 guests