Current Status/Practical Uses of Construct2

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sat May 20, 2017 2:35 pm

newt wrote:So is the topic "Current Status/Practical Uses of Construct2", or "I can't export to mobile"?

How about both. As one comes from another.
B
28
S
8
G
7
Posts: 643
Reputation: 6,457

Post » Sat May 20, 2017 3:00 pm

Help yourself.
It's been said that a Scirra based cordova exporter is in the works, and that there should be a version for C2, and while it is a pain in the ass, it is still totally possible to export on your own. If you check out the current C3 editor you can see that they at least have started working on the cloud export.
So it's either do it yourself, or wait for that.

As to selling to third parties, obviously it is doable, as you've done that already.
If you were actually interested in fixing the issues you would do what any of us would have to do, and create a minimal capx that shows the issue, and submit a bug report.
Surely you are experienced enough after all these years to replicate the issue in a way that does not violate any nda's.

As to practical uses of C2 I'm surprised not to see more people using it to make ads.
Html5 is replacing flash, and C2 is almost the perfect tool for presentations.
Add vector support, and it would be.
Image ImageImage
B
168
S
50
G
164
Posts: 8,228
Reputation: 105,575

Post » Sat May 20, 2017 3:18 pm

newt wrote:Image

Ahh good old Newt. Helping others the only real way he knows by saying GTFO and acting as arrogant as he can :)
Your whole post is one big wall of rubbish to the point where I find it pointless to even address them case-by-case. To the point I don't know if you are being serious or are you just trolling.
No, really dude, all I ever seen you doing is being rude and offensive to other people. All those years.
Well. What can I say. I think I had enough of you Newt. You could help. But no, no. You come in with that smarty-pants attitude of yours, knowing how to help but choosing not to.

Okay. I believe your posts does violates some rules and netiquette so I am reporting your post and adding you to my block list, so I won't see you trashtalking ever again. I know at least 6 people on this forums who did that already. Don't be surprised when one day people will stop replying to you Newt. That'll mean that you pissed the last user and had become 100% invisible on this forum. Every thread you visit you try to turn into a flamewar.
B
28
S
8
G
7
Posts: 643
Reputation: 6,457

Post » Sat May 20, 2017 4:54 pm

irbis wrote:1. Desktops (via Nodekit)
-Mac port
Has terrible performance to the point that even the simplest game runs like PowerPoint slideshow/presentation, rendering the game unplayable. So there goes that niche but lucrative Apple audience.

-Linux port
Most of the time the game won't even run or run with an error or like Mac port - a slideshow. So there goes the not really lucrative BUT loyal and caring audience.

-Windows port
only 32bit (64bit Nodekit is slow as hell and buggy) and doesn't have a native support for the most lucrative storefront on the planet (Steam) because official Steam API plugin is unfinished, buggy and is lacking features. The only way to get it working is via paid plugin from Scirra Store, that is always up2date, has all the features and is bugfree. And its price is like half of the whole Construct 2 price lol.
...

As usual, a complaint without any evidence. Are you guys at this point, seriously asking for help or just complain for the sakes of complaining?
It's ridiculous that the majority of these kinds of "everything sucks, please fix Ashley" posts, never include any evidence to work with.
I'm not saying that you're wrong but without any evidence to go with your claims, there is no way for Ashley or others to investigate this.

If you have evidence but don't like to use cloud services, PM me everything you got and I'm willing to share it for you.
Unless you provide any further, more practical proof for your claims, I'd like to request for this topic to be closed (like all the others).



(I frankly won't blame Ashley for ignoring these kinds of posts in the future because they are all essentially just pointless rants IMO.)
Ashley wrote:I am so tired of this that unless you produce any evidence to the contrary, I will just ignore any further complaints. I would actually be super interested to see any evidence to the contrary, because I never do. And if you don't provide any, I would kindly ask that you take a less accusatory approach to the issue.
ImageImageImageImage
B
56
S
21
G
77
Posts: 636
Reputation: 43,961

Post » Sat May 20, 2017 5:20 pm

TheRealDannyyy wrote:Image

Dude, this is not court. I don't need evidence. I am coming here with a problem. You want me to prove that ?my problem is not real? Really??? If there wouldn't be a problem - I wouldn't be here. I really have things to do you know. Sitting here and proving something I really don't need to prove is not a hobby of mine. And here you come - not helping. Not even willing. So yes, please - ignore those posts if you have no good will to actually help anybody. Because sorry - I am not sending an NDA material to a stranger on a internet forum just because he wants it. You are just a user. Yet you act like wannabie moderator or admin. Why the heck you even came to this topic? O.o

You know what I expected to see? What I hoped for? Someone saying "Irbis, you are wrong. And here's why:"
And then providing me with a nice working tutorial for a mobile export that you know is working (you know something that isn't outdated or unavailable right now).

Or maybe a nice lifehack of how to make Desktop exports work on Linux or/and Mac. I don't know. By maybe some extra .bat file or some other magic I might not be aware of. That'll be help. That would be helpful. But no. You come here to complain about other people complaining (But looking for a fix). :lol:

Am I really the only one seeing a problem here? Are you perhaps related to Newt or maybe its an Alt Account of his?
There is a very nasty group on this forum that always attacks but never really helps. A mini-4chan. Guess I have to report your post too and add another name to the blocklist.

And its been almost 12h now and still the only helpful post I've seen came... from Ashley. But not really covering all the issues. Wow. What happen to this place? :|
B
28
S
8
G
7
Posts: 643
Reputation: 6,457

Post » Sat May 20, 2017 5:37 pm

Wrapped JavsScript will always suffer from lower performance -if- the wrapper tries to be a full browser instead of it being a performance optimised game engine. GPU bottleneck might be the cause in some cases, but in my experience a wrapped c2 game will always perform worse than one that was made in another game engine. There are no magic answers - all users of even the top game engines have to consider hardware limitations. It's just that c2 adds a layer of complexity (the browser) that is not optimised for games. Of course, here's the data - try out a simple bunnymark test:

c2 capx
godot engine bunnymark

get godot here

I tested on a desktop (i5 16Gb HD4000, NWjs for c2 export) and mobile (Nexus 5X, Phonegap for c2 export); when the FPS dropped to below 55 I considered the test complete. Results:

Godot desktop: 2200 bunnies
Godot android: 750 bunnies
c2 desktop: 1450 bunnies
c2 android: 420 bunnies

@irbis - I am sorry for your plight. I can only suggest you try cocoon.io and Electron as alternatives for mobile and desktop respectively. I've not tried Electron (I hear good things about it, though) but cocoon.io was impressive the last time I checked.
Last edited by Colludium on Sat May 20, 2017 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I only occasionally visit - I'm learning C# for Unity, but c2 is still a respectable game engine imo....
B
73
S
19
G
66
Posts: 2,198
Reputation: 42,193

Post » Sat May 20, 2017 5:40 pm

You're a funny fella aren't ya? Telling newt to stop trolling but then doing it yourself by posting "funny" images.
Anyway I'm not falling for your attempt of starting a "keyboard war" and refrain from doing any personal attacks.


irbis wrote:Dude, this is not court. I don't need evidence. I am coming here with a problem. You want me to prove that ?my problem is not real? Really??? If there wouldn't be a problem - I wouldn't be here. I really have things to do you know. Sitting here and proving something I really don't need to prove is not a hobby of mine.

If you've read my previous statement, I have even clearly said that quote:
"I'm not saying that you're wrong but without any evidence to go with your claims, there is no way for Ashley or others to investigate this."

I'm just trying to figure out if you're actually requesting help or just complain for the sakes of complaining.


irbis wrote:And here you come - not helping. Not even willing. So yes, please - ignore those posts if you have no good will to actually help anybody. Because sorry - I am not sending an NDA material to a stranger on a internet forum just because he wants it. You are just a user. Yet you act like wannabie moderator or admin. Why the heck you even came to this topic? O.o

Your response surely took your about 5-10 minutes, you could've sent something useful to Ashley (not publicly) during that time, since you're basing your post on some sort of "sample project".


irbis wrote:You know what I expected to see? What I hoped for? Someone saying "Irbis, you are wrong. And here's why:"
And then providing me with a nice working tutorial for a mobile export that you know is working (you know something that isn't outdated or unavailable right now).
Or maybe a nice lifehack of how to make Desktop exports work on Linux or/and Mac. I don't know. By maybe some extra .bat file or some other magic I might not be aware of. That'll be help. That would be helpful. But no. You come here to complain about other people complaining (But looking for a fix). :lol:

Why should we do the work for you? You are the one complaining and should come up with valuable information to back up your claims.
After that information has been provided, I'm surely willing to help you out with this.


irbis wrote:Am I really the only one seeing a problem here? Are you perhaps related to Newt or maybe its an Alt Account of his?
There is a very nasty group on this forum that always attacks but never really helps. A mini-4chan. Guess I have to report your post too and add another name to the blocklist.

Creative but I'm someone that can actually understands the reasoning behind, providing evidence to work with.
By the way, this is a public forum so expect to receive responses that are probably against your narrative or whatever you're trying to accomplish with this. ;)


EDIT: Just do what Colludium did above and we're all willing to help you out.
Last edited by TheRealDannyyy on Sat May 20, 2017 6:00 pm, edited 6 times in total.
ImageImageImageImage
B
56
S
21
G
77
Posts: 636
Reputation: 43,961

Post » Sat May 20, 2017 5:47 pm

Colludium wrote:Wrapped JavsScript will always suffer from lower performance -if- the wrapper tries to be a full browser instead of it being a performance optimised game engine. GPU bottleneck might be the cause in some cases, but in my experience a wrapped c2 game will always perform worse than one that was made in another game engine. There are no magic answers - all users of even the top game engines have to consider hardware limitations. It's just that c2 adds a layer of complexity (the browser) that is not optimised for games. Of course, here's the data - try out a simple bunnymark test:

c2 capx
godot engine bunnymark

get godot here

I tested on a desktop (i5 16Gb HD4000, NWjs for c2 export) and mobile (Nexus 5X, Phonegap for c2 export); when the FPS dropped to below 55 I considered the test complete. Results:

Godot desktop: 2200 bunnies
Godot android: 750 bunnies
c2 desktop: 1450 bunnies
c2 android: 420 bunnies

@irbis - I am sorry for your plight. I can only suggest you try cocoon.io and Electron as alternatives for mobile and desktop respectively. I've not tried Electron (I hear good things about it, though) but cocoon.io was impressive the last time I checked.

Bloody hell! This is both amazing and sad :(( I never knew Godot is THAT good :shock: )
The problem is - I am not a true programmer and sadly - I probably will never be so I am kind a stuck with Construct 2 or another "visual programming" framework.

Do you happen to know a tool or a tutorial ("for idiots" version please :lol: ) that would convert HTML5/C2 projects to mobiles and/or desktops with all its goodies? On mobiles Ads and IAPs are must-have. On desktop - Steam API.

EDIT:
Also, this is freaking awesome.
Image
And single best feature of this forums :lol:
B
28
S
8
G
7
Posts: 643
Reputation: 6,457

Post » Sat May 20, 2017 6:00 pm

Ads and IAPs are beyond me for c2 (and Godot...!). I only learned how to program (I am still an amateur!) by making plugins for c2 - all of the concepts are translatable to other engines, and I only chose Godot over Unity because it's way easier to learn because the interface is simpler.

I can only recommend you do a forum search for cocoon.io advice - it's almost the same as phonegap (zip up your export and import it into cocoon) but it's been a good while since I experimented there. If your games don't require moving action scenes then phonegap will suffice for mobile for sure.

A cross platform alternative for NWjs can only be Electron (which I have never used and it looks complicated for a non-coder) - so you might be better off waiting for a stable NWjs branch (or use different versions for different platforms?).
I only occasionally visit - I'm learning C# for Unity, but c2 is still a respectable game engine imo....
B
73
S
19
G
66
Posts: 2,198
Reputation: 42,193

Post » Sat May 20, 2017 6:24 pm

@irbis,

I'm sorry to hear about the rough time you are having. I do HTML5 work pretty much exclusively now, and the last time I packaged stuff up was with Cocoon.js two years ago. I have two possible suggestions:

1. Have you tried creating a blank xcode project, dropping in a WKWebView or UIWebView, then loading the game as a resource in the webview? WKWebView should give you close to the same performance as iOS Safari.

2. If you can wait for Scirra, they have promised to get the mobile Build Service working for C2 projects as well. I'm looking forward to trying this with my most recent creation.
www.simbucket.com - HTML5 Science Simulations / https://www.airconsole.com/#!play=com.n ... obotrumble - Robot Rumble on AirConsole
B
46
S
12
G
20
Posts: 363
Reputation: 14,299

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests