Cut-Scenes Opinion

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:55 am

On Topic:
The avi object will show playback controls, so you probably want to avoid video files for this reason only.

Off Topic
I hate cutscenes, I love manuals. O_o
Whenever a cutscene comes up, my mind goes "oh, I gotta stop playing and watch. I wonder how long it will keep me from playing". I really enjoy GTA's dialogue en-route to the mission location, you're still playing and you're also getting briefed, kinda like HL2's in-game cutscenes but better.

My take : Cutscenes are a holdover from movies, just like old movies had a holdover from books so they had a lot of text to read at the beginning and end. Movies got rid of that and we should get rid of cutscenes too.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:05 pm

I feel cut-scenes are important, and they should exist even in games that don't really strive to tell a story. Why? Because it helps set the tone, the mood and the style of the game. It gives you a connection to the game beyond simply pressing keys and watching the results. It also helps you identify your game instead of (using the example in this thread) just being another GTA clone. If someone wants to play GTA for the gameplay, they will just go play GTA... which are free now. You have to do more than just add one or two things to the gameplay that differs from the actual GTA.

If a game won't let you skip a cutscene and it bothers you, you are playing the wrong game to begin with as it is one placing an emphasis on story.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:32 pm

humm GTA was just an example. You could easily do the same style of "briefing" and story advancement in other kind of games.

As another example that is far, FAR away from GTA (besides HL2, I mean): Wing Commander advanced a good part of the story with radio chatter (though the main dish was lengthy cutscenes, sadly).

Another one: Mech Warrior 3 only did briefing during level loads, most of the story happened in-game via radio chatter and in-game events.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:14 pm

Maybe I'm just too old school to hate cutscenes. When I was a kid there were no cutscenes in any game. The first game I played that had them was Ninja Gaiden on NES, and that was pretty much revolutionary. The opening scene set a nice mood for the story, and the ones in between levels were like a reward for advancing in the game.

I still see cutscenes that way. They do nothing but enhance the experience for me, and reward me for playing well enough to move on. I don't see them as a hindrance at all.

But I guess I can see how they could be taken for granted in this age of cutscene-centric games. And things like Final Fantasy with their long-ass summon scenes, or Metal Gear with 90 minute scenes don't really help matters.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:03 pm

I read all opinions, and I think that cut-scenes are something like: "Do you like fish?"

Anyway, I will make them skipable, and also in Construct. :)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:08 pm

My favorite cutscenes are about fish.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:39 pm

[quote="deadeye":1ldfnqd5]But I guess I can see how they could be taken for granted in this age of cutscene-centric games. And things like Final Fantasy with their long-ass summon scenes, or Metal Gear with 90 minute scenes don't really help matters.[/quote:1ldfnqd5]

Right, but I think anyone who sits down to play a Metal Gear game, expects those long scenes. Same with Final Fantasy.

I think the real problem is that a vast majority of game developers think they need to also be movie directors and can't allow a scene to be short. It's a heck of a lot easier to make a short scene interesting than a long one.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:45 am

IMO resident evil 4 had some of the best cutscenes. They had action commands hidden at specific times during the scene, like dodging an axe or grabbing a cliff. You could actually die during a cutscene, and it really made you feel connected.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:40 am

For the record: My first game system was an Atari 800.

Yeah Ninja Gaiden and its parallax (back then it was quite a sight that) cutscenes was great, back then I was impressed. I guess it comes down to me having less and less time to spend on gaming, so I just want to squeeze every second out of it. I'm not saying they look ugly, I just feel it could be done better... I'm sure gaming will evolve in such a way that they're unneeded... these days it's cutscenes with quicktime events, who knows what's next.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:51 am

[quote="deadeye":38d7und8]Maybe I'm just too old school to hate cutscenes. When I was a kid there were no cutscenes in any game. The first game I played that had them was Ninja Gaiden on NES, and that was pretty much revolutionary. The opening scene set a nice mood for the story, and the ones in between levels were like a reward for advancing in the game.

I still see cutscenes that way. They do nothing but enhance the experience for me, and reward me for playing well enough to move on. I don't see them as a hindrance at all.

But I guess I can see how they could be taken for granted in this age of cutscene-centric games. And things like Final Fantasy with their long-ass summon scenes, or Metal Gear with 90 minute scenes don't really help matters.[/quote:38d7und8]

This. All of it.

I never understand people who just *skip skip skip skip* all the way through, then wonder why they think "THIS GAME WAS CRAP!" It's like putting a DVD in... pressing play.... then skipping all the way to the credits. Damn that movie was full of suck. No shit idiot.

Watch cutscenes. They make you into a man.

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic