Cutting Winds Demo

Post your Construct-made creations!

Post » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:48 pm

Just two graphical nitpicks:

The platforms that allow you to jump up through them should have an indication that they're behind the playing field.

The trees in the background of the second level have shadows that face the sun, rather than away.

... that's all for now. :)
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:00 pm

Looking good, wow!

Art crits:
-- The bright saturated colours in the background + the bright saturated colours of the player character means she doesn't stand out much. Especially without some kind of outline. While the unified look is nice there's the issue of everything blending together visually.
-- The direction arrows in the tutorial levels could look so much nicer! Are they placeholders right now? I was thinking more that the word was integrated into the cloud, rather than the the arrows being clouds with words written on there. (other than that I love the style of the sun and clouds though. More than everything else, haha)
--

Gameplay crits:
The player character feels very slow and floaty? Probably because her fall speed is quite slow. It made the boss fight annoying rather than difficult. It'd be nice to get an option to drop faster (down arrow?). She doesn't feel swift and agile which I suspect is what you want with the "cutting wind" theme.
B
G

Post » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:06 pm

This will be a nice game :)

I'll just say this :

If you stay on the platform before the boss, it will detect you and come underneath, and then you can kill it very easily by shooting downward...
Wouldn't it be better maybe to make him destroy that platform or something?
B
S
G

Post » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:28 am

Beautiful.

I did feel that the sun and the boss' attack graphics' squaryness clash with the overall smooth lines of the games.

If you want to introduce it as a theme, I would suggest you take damage from anything that looks squary, so that means the sun wouldn't look that way.

It looks nice, but it clashes, and as such I spent most of that level looking at the sun and expecting something to happen with it.

Wonderful graphics and animation, though it could really use some in-betweens.
About gameplay, although it's standard platforming it really works and I liked the theme and flow. Hover and jump key could have been the same though, but even if it's not it still works.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:46 am

Pretty good for a start,
I suggest more animating with more frames to give a less choppy, WIP feel.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:31 pm

Good Job :mrgreen:
B
G

Post » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:41 am

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I really appreciate the suggestions for improving the game.

I've fixed quite a few issues with the demo in my original post (same button to jump and glide, scoring fixed, attack animation fixed, death/respawn system added etc), and am now working on new monsters and interactive parts for the third level.

I'll be sure to post another demo once I've finished a couple more levels.
B
G

Post » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:56 am

great art direction! ;)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:49 am

I enjoyed the demo and found the artwork fascinating, inspiring and impressionable. there are a few minor glitches, but I'm sure you've caught on by now... due to other posts. Regardless, it has the ability to reach good lengths.

keep up the good work, friend.
B
G

Post » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:13 am

Are you still working on the game? I liked the graphics and the game itself. It's simple but it's nice.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Your Creations