damn! Unreal engine on JS!

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:48 pm

Thanks for posting @California
Been playing with UDK for years, but never really got serious about it (so much content to create for a "one man dev team") but this is good excuse to keep chipping away at the learning curve. UDK is pretty awesome.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:22 pm

Hopefully this helps demonstrate HTML5 is a solid platform for gaming! We've believed this all along and I think this is a good sign others are starting to get on board with it too.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:48 am

Although it's not a unique thing. Flash is running Unreal Engine since last year, as you can see in this thread: http://www.scirra.com/forum/unreal-engine-3_topic53128.html

So, if this demonstrates a solid platform, it just demonstrates that the wrapper used to present a game (e.g. stand-alone-application, browser) isn't important anymore, as long as you have proper hardware.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:02 am

It's a shame they don't spend more time getting FF to run html5 as nice as Chrome ;p
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:25 am

Well honestly about half decade I cam to the conclusion that it's only a matter of time. A time when Browsers become OS. I still think that way, but that doesn't mean there aren't hurdles to overcome.

6gb games are still to large to play through a web browser for heavy reasons. Lack of file storage structure, download times are pretty hard knocks against the technology. Clearing a cache will erase the game. Then if you go into downloadable Webapps, then the technology is almost an environment unto it's own.

browsers also aren't exactly friendly towards resoruce sharing. Security is heavy handed. nope, while graphical fidelity is going along nicely there are many other factors that just don't work out so well.

but who knows what the future holds and how browsers may change :)
B
S
G

Return to Open Topic