Data Execution Prevention

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Data+ is the best Data Management solution for Construct 3. It contains 4 Addons (Plugin & Behavior).
  • Heres a tip for those of you who can not run construct or anything made with it. TURN OFF DEP!

Ashley was right. When I got on my friend's computer I turned it off for him since he did not know how and construct finally worked! If you have Vista 64 it automatically has DEP turned on. I think in Vista 32 it has to be turned on manually so those with 32 shouldnt have a problem. If you dont know how to turn off DEP here is where I found out how --> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/12077 ... sable.html

• I cannot imagine why DEP conflicts with Construct. AFAIK, DEP prevents you executing random bits of memory. Well, I don't know of anywhere Construct does that. Any DEP programmers know where this might come from? Maybe it's a bug we haven't fixed yet which DEP picks up on.

• I wonder if it's something to do with the IDE it's compiled with, or the SDK.

Could users who have a problem with it post what plugins it came up for - that is, if it's not all of them..

Thanks.

• oh you want the plugins? crap I knew I shoulda wrote them down, but to be honest it was a little more than half of em. I know 8Dir behavior was one. Sprite object was NOT one. ummm. crud I dont remember any other ones. Maybe the next time I get to a computer with DEP ill turn it on and see what pops up when I run construct.

• Sounds good, post whenever you can with the info.

• crap, I'm moving to a Vista64 machine!

DEP marks code loaded for execution and allocated by the user, so you cannot move the next instruction pointer to memory that's not for execution.

This essentially kills both buffer overflow attacks AND polymorphic code.

• We don't use polymorphic code (nor, in theory, buffer overflows) so DEP shouldn't be an issue - a full list of the exact plugins that have errors under DEP would be useful, since they are compiled with a variety of tools, and it might help us track down the issue.

• OK I had construct (the RICH Build) installed in the default directory. all the plugins are located in C:\Program Files\Scirra\Construct\Plugins\ and end with .csx (998) at the end. Heres a list of all the affected ones that popped up.

8DirMov

Array

AudioConverter

BallMov

BalloonTip

Binary

Box

Button

Canvas

CarMov

Clipboard

Combobox

CommonDialog

Date

DirectSound

Download

DragDropMov

Dropshadow

Edit

Function

Gradient

GridMovement

HashTable

HTML

Imagelist

ImageManip

INI

Layout

Light

List

ListBox

Messagebox

Minimap

Mod

Particles

Path

Print

Process

Progress

Registry

SelectionBoxMov

SystemInfo

Text

TileBackground

TTS

VersionInfo

Window

WrapMov

Zip

Then construct starts and you can use any but those plugins. DEP can be enabled and disabled easily. I just did it on my computer to get this list. So if you guys need to you could always toggle it and test things out.

• Those are all the plugins written in Visual C++ 6.0. Perhaps there's a setting wrong or it's just incompatible (it was made long before anything like DEP existed). All the plugins and behaviors made in Visual Studio 2005 or later don't appear on the list...

• Yeah I noticed that, well, all the more reason to port to CVS.

• Ah, I turned on DEP, reproduced it and managed to fix it. Fixed in next build

• YES! way to go ashley!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • whoa. Quickness!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)