Death from Above a steampunk shmupNOW WITH DEMO

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:36 pm

I would just like to apologize to everyone for my delayed response, I had something of a family emergency last week when my mum had a stroke, so I have spent most of my free time in and out of the hospital, but it was only a mini stroke and she is looking much better now so I can slowly get back to work.

Steve Cameron
A small bug report: When I chose "Z X arrows" and play it works fine, then in the second level still fine.... but I lost all lives and the game started again in level ONE, but now X didn't FIRE, Z still activated sheilds but had to press LMB to FIRE.

I know exactly what caused that bug and it will be fixed by the next update

mercuryus
something different i want to ask: what tool/s you use to ceate the animated GIFs from the videos?

I use screentogif http://www.screentogif.com/ I can't recommend enough, it does exactly what it says on tin

remib74
really nice, the gameplay is awesome and graphically i must admit : i'm jealous !!! keep up the good work

thanks bro it means a lot I got to admit this game was not the breakout success I had hoped so fan mail means the world to me

Ok, some more concept art since I got to admit drawing the bosses is the most enjoyable part of game creation to me
B
S

Post » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:46 am

PrinceofMars wrote:I would just like to apologize to everyone for my delayed response, I had something of a family emergency last week when my mum had a stroke, so I have spent most of my free time in and out of the hospital, but it was only a mini stroke and she is looking much better now so I can slowly get back to work.

Steve Cameron
A small bug report: When I chose "Z X arrows" and play it works fine, then in the second level still fine.... but I lost all lives and the game started again in level ONE, but now X didn't FIRE, Z still activated sheilds but had to press LMB to FIRE.

I know exactly what caused that bug and it will be fixed by the next update

mercuryus
something different i want to ask: what tool/s you use to ceate the animated GIFs from the videos?

I use screentogif http://www.screentogif.com/ I can't recommend enough, it does exactly what it says on tin

remib74
really nice, the gameplay is awesome and graphically i must admit : i'm jealous !!! keep up the good work

thanks bro it means a lot I got to admit this game was not the breakout success I had hoped so fan mail means the world to me

Ok, some more concept art since I got to admit drawing the bosses is the most enjoyable part of game creation to me

good job on this game, you continue working on it sure? ;)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:15 pm

Nice to see your game becoming better and better every month =D
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:35 pm

@PrinceofMars hasnt been around for months. I have a feeling his mom took a turn for the worst. I was working with him on some touch control enhancements for his next build around the time his mom had the stroke. I haven't heard from him since and he hasn't posted any updates here.

Hopefully he will resurface sometime again as it was a great project.

Such is the fragile nature of indi development. The universe's plans will not always align with our own.
NOTE: There is a high a probability that I am wrong.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:55 am

NetOne wrote:@PrinceofMars hasnt been around for months. I have a feeling his mom took a turn for the worst. I was working with him on some touch control enhancements for his next build around the time his mom had the stroke. I haven't heard from him since and he hasn't posted any updates here.

Hopefully he will resurface sometime again as it was a great project.

Such is the fragile nature of indi development. The universe's plans will not always align with our own.

I am so sorry i totally forgot to upload the improved touch controls i will do that today as for my mum yeah she had another stroke not long after my last post but she is recovering well and out of the blue she said she wanted to try video games I gave her my psp and she loves jrpgs now :D especially the suikoden series I also had some other personal relationship stuff i dont want to get into but yeah i had a pretty awful year.
But for the last month or so I feel the urge to create again.

I am not sure if I want to continue with Death from Above, it had a very lukewarm response, but I feel I learned a lot from making it the most important lesson I learned was gameplay comes first I should make sure it plays well before I spend forever making sprites.

what shall I make next? I have 2 ideas the first being completely remaking Reload my Time Crisis homage it was highly popular on the scirra arcade but I want to make it from scratch because of the VERY messy way I programmed the original.
the other idea I had make a metal slug like game not sure if I want to make it a metroidvania type game or a arcade style game but I have been drawing concept art
B
S

Post » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:11 pm

Hey man you’re back! Awesome, was beginning to worry !
Of course, Id love to see a finished fully polished version of Death from Above, even if it had just 3/4 levels. I wouldn't worry about a lukewarm response, it was a demo, also ive noticed that shmups seem to attract tough criticism for whatever reason. I think it is great and has the potential to be fantastic, also it seems to have about 4.5 stars from everyone who has played it. I dont think the game play is bad. I mean Shmup gameplay is as simple as it gets, however the complexity and depth comes from a combination of slightly abstracty things like level and wave timing, wave difficulty fluctuation, weapon enemy balance and how the powerups change gameplay. You have all these elements in place. Just maybe some fine tuning and a lot of play testing. Anyway I can fully relate if you need to move on but maybe you could tie it up while you work on the new project.

I did read somewhere, maybe even on here somewhere, that, 90% of amateur Indi developers never finish their games because they keep moving on to the next project wanting to utilise their more advanced knowledge and skills acquired from their last unfinished game.
I assume this can be a bit of a vicious circle, but on the other hand , if you keep moving and learning until the point where everything clicks then this approach could also lead to greatness.

Dude, I didnt realise you were the dev of Reload, that was awesome.
Metroid / Time Crisis / Metal Slug. I get a twinge in my nethers every time I hear those names.

What about Metal Slug type action with a Metroid Lite type unlocking world and weapons with some time crisis style bonus levels or boss battles?
Yes it would be a massive undertaking and a little over kill. That is why it should be called ....OVERKILL.

OK Ill shup up now. Nice to see you back.
NOTE: There is a high a probability that I am wrong.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:32 pm

Sorry to hear about your moms health problems and glad to hear she is doing well and playing video games! Death From Above was a great start. I have found with each project I finish I learn so much, especially if the games are a bit different. Your concept art is great, love me some Metal Slug too. Im actually working on an action shooter in the vain of a metroidvaina too, I look forward to seeing your approach to it. Our game GunnSwitch is more like Blaster Master though with the tank but also adds in some Metal Slug/Megaman style action and platforming. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do, Ill be watching.
Cheers
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:57 pm

Thanks billy and Net It's nice to know someone enjoyed DFA I will tell you what I will do, I will place an advert for DFA in my MUCH more successful game Reload and if I get more interest in the game I will finish it right now I can justify putting aside such a huge amount of spare time on a game and that so few people have taken an interest in
B
S

Post » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:05 pm

cdn image hosting
yeah this metal slug thing is definitely happening I can't seem to stop drawing stuff for it
B
S

Previous

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests