debug?

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
  • In a normal programming language, I could either:

1) put print statements in key places to see if they are being called.

2) step through with a debugger.

How does one do debugging in construct 2? E.g. is there a way I can add a print statement to output to a console as an action? Or some preference to log every event?

E.g. To see which events are being triggered, or to know what the instance variables are.

I guess I could reserver a space in the game gui for debug comments, and use set text on that, but this is pretty invasive.

Any ideas?

• There's a plugin that lets you print to the console:

http://www.scirra.com/forum/log-text-objects-to-chrome-console_topic47859.html

I haven't tried it myself, I generally just use text objects.

• I usually simply use either a text or a textbox (type textarea) object and put some "set text to" action where you would put print() with other languages.

I used to use the debug panel plugin from rex, but I often forget to delete it before export and as it opens another browser window, I often lose it behind my window so it's a pain. That's why I don't use it too much now.

Maybe Ashley could add the ability to prevent some plugin from being exported as a plugin setting or an object property.

Anyway, at some point I'd like to have a real debugger which displays any object values (no need to add tones of actions).

Maybe a chrome and firefox plugin could do the trick.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Excellent info, thanks!

I'll try both options

+100 credits to ramones & Yann.

Cube maze is cool - the voiceovers are excellent too.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)