Deforming a car on impact

For questions about using Classic.

Post » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:40 pm

Is it possible?

I want to have a car, using the physics behaviour, and on impact it should be deformed realistic based on velocity and point of impact?
Not a sprite with predefined images of damages, but with REAL like in Carmageddon 2.
This is what i've dreamt of all my life making games - realistic destruction.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:51 pm

Hmm, maybe make seperate parts for the car and then hinge them together. On collisions, remove hinges until the parts completely fall off the chasis.
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (maybe)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:58 pm

That's not what i'm talking about. I'm talking about small dent's and complete deformation of the sprite.
Although your idea is good, it does not fit my needs. I have tried it in the past.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:06 pm

Ahh ok, well, you could try applying different distortion meshes to the sprites.

Another method is to create a sprite for each stage of deformation and then add a custom physics mask for them. Then use the render-to-texture plugin to make the cars have different textures while still using the same base sprite.
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (maybe)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:15 pm

[QUOTE=Jayjay] Ahh ok, well, you could try applying different distortion meshes to the sprites.

Another method is to create a sprite for each stage of deformation and then add a custom physics mask for them. Then use the render-to-texture plugin to make the cars have different textures while still using the same base sprite.[/QUOTE]

Using that method, the damages will still be predefined, the very oppposite of what I want.
The mesh distortion feature might be what i'm looking for, although not the load feature related to it.

Anyone who's played carmageddon 2 will know what I'm talking about.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:20 pm

[QUOTE=Urled]Anyone who's played carmageddon 2 will know what I'm talking about.[/QUOTE]

I spent a large amount of time playing Carmageddon 2, but if you're using the Physics object then there is no way to use a custom collision mask that isn't pre-defined...unless you use smaller objects pinned together and change their positioning (kinda like voxels).Jayjay2011-08-10 19:21:21
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:24 pm

[QUOTE=Jayjay] [QUOTE=Urled]Anyone who's played carmageddon 2 will know what I'm talking about.[/QUOTE]

I spent a large amount of time playing Carmageddon 2, but if you're using the Physics object then there is no way to use a custom collision mask that isn't pre-defined...unless you use smaller objects pinned together and change their positioning (kinda like voxels).[/QUOTE]

Alright, but the collisionmask does not need to be updted.

B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:28 pm

[QUOTE=Jayjay] Hmm, maybe make seperate parts for the car and then hinge them together. On collisions, remove hinges until the parts completely fall off the chasis.[/QUOTE]

The physics object would go nicely with that.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:28 pm

Ohh, in that case then yeah, using mesh deformation should work fine =D
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:39 pm

Well, ok. But how? We are talking about distorting the mesh relative to the shape of another
( possibly a bad expplenation, so here is a pciture)
off course not as smoot as on the picture, more "bent invards"
B
S
G

Next

Return to Help & Support using Construct Classic