Dernier Cadeau Demo

Post your Construct-made creations!

Post » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:18 pm

when you press s you should instantly get a lil bit of jump charge, so that if you just press the button, youll jump, but if you hold it, you can jump even higher.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:25 pm

Very nice demo. I think the Terramancy / Aquamancy idea is very clever and unique.

As for controls, why not let the user change what buttons do what if he/she wants?

Also, maybe it's worth pointing out that you can hold down the jump button while running. That way as soon as you release it you'll have a decent sized jump ready.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:32 pm

yea, but you cant jump on the fly, if feels disjointed to have to charge all the time
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:58 pm

We are working on a solution to the jumping. The main problem is making the controls work with a new way of jumping. WE would like to have user defined controls but that is currently not an option with the platform movement built into construct. WE have toyed with the Idea of a custom movement engine but We are also tied by other projects that are more important ATM. We will fix the jumping but all in all in the final game i dont think it will make much difference. WE will probably make it so that when you tap the s button you will jump a little bit and then hold the s button to charge a jump to jump higher. The real question with that system is should we make it on release of the S button or when you press another button in conjunction with he Currently held button.

Edit:

What if the jump charged Automatically after you used it. and when you jumped it reset back to 0 and charged up again? The charge would be pretty quick Faster than the mana charge. that way you could jump when you wanted too but you still had to wait a while between jumping.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:24 pm

Ah, I didn't realize custom platform movement wasn't possible in Construct. Too bad. Maybe in a future version?

As far as the jumping scheme: I for one don't mind the current one. I think whatever scheme you use the player just has to consider it as a part of this particular game. Of course you wouldn't want it to be unnecessarily awkward, but in this case I don't think it is.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:09 pm

[quote="stainsor":3d39xnzx]Ah, I didn't realize custom platform movement wasn't possible in Construct. Too bad. Maybe in a future version?[/quote:3d39xnzx]
It most certainly is possible - I think there are some examples on the uploads forum somewhere.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:23 pm

[quote="stainsor":1ninpcdq]Ah, I didn't realize custom platform movement wasn't possible in Construct. Too bad. Maybe in a future version?[/quote:1ninpcdq]

What Aeal means is there is no way for the player to customize the key controls at runtime yet.

You can make any custom movement type you want with events, including your own platforming behavior. But the default platform behavior works really well, and it's easy to add custom mods to it. So unless you have a really good reason not to use it I don't see why you should bother trying to make a completely new custom movement. For the most part you don't have to go reinventing the wheel just to make your game.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:20 pm

[quote="deadeye":3j0tg0rt]What Aeal means is there is no way for the player to customize the key controls at runtime yet.[/quote:3j0tg0rt]

Sorry, my wording was misleading. This is what I meant to say: I didn't realize the player couldn't customize the key controls at runtime.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:05 pm

[quote="Ashley":1v9wylvv]It most certainly is possible - I think there are some examples on the uploads forum somewhere.[/quote:1v9wylvv]

I've seen some threads but no caps. I dont know if I have the know how in construct to make a good movement system on my own.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:49 am

I like the way grass looks how is it done?
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Your Creations