Destroy object doesn't work on OR block

Bugs will be moved here once resolved.

Post » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:21 pm

@Ashley, would be great if this example is included in the manual, I'm a go-to-manual kind of person and I'm sure there are lot of people like me especially ones with no-programming background.

Perspective from a non-coder:
Based on what I read in the OR block excerpt, the explanation sets my mind to think/assume that OR block behave like a "boolean" block which disregard false condition. As long as the block is true, all event will run. As an engineer, this is how we normally perceive the OR (things we do in CAD parametric control), which is different from programming it seems.

Ok now, the misconception is already recognized from statement above which is untrue/incorrect.

So, what is missing from manual?
An explanation for picking situation in OR block, which should be emphasized under the OR block excerpt.

Thanks for the explanation, now I know how to rebuild my conceptual understanding on it, which previously causing mayhem in my events (all repaired now), as the main reason I posted the "sad panda" link in my signature below, because I don't have a clue what is wrong at all.
Officially I have regain my sanity and cuteness, couldn't be happier than this :D
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:29 pm

The statement is correct, the event run, on all selected (0) instances, but it runs
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:43 pm

Aphrodite wrote:The statement is correct, the event run, on all selected (0) instances, but it runs

Oh the explanation actually is in CAD environment mindset actually, which picking feature doesn't exist. Maybe it's too general when I say perspective from non-coder? Let me think on how to rephrase that.

Edit: It's hard to rephrase, so I'll just say the actually difference is on how the OR blocks (in CAD we call it OR GroupSets) which the GroupSets is evaluated as single entity to determine true/false?true then proceed:false do nothing.

Origin of the mindset.
Last edited by DuckfaceNinja on Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:47 pm

It's worth mentioning in the manual, yeah. I've added this paragraph to how events work:

Note that because OR blocks run if any condition is true, it's possible the event will still run if some conditions were false and did not pick any instances. In this case the actions will still run, but possibly with zero instances picked for any objects where no instances met the condition. If any actions are run for objects with no instances picked, nothing happens.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Closed bugs