[Dev Blog] Prototype for platform shooter

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:13 pm

@JayJay So far the jump to C2 has been mostly painless. A few things are changed around and I just need to adjust to where they are. Most of the keyboard shortcuts are the same and I think those help my workflow the most. Like you said, most of what I learned from CC and your book is carrying over easily. Plus some of the events in your book help with creative and constructive thinking on how to fix problems.

FYI I started Insanity's Blade last night and really dig it! Totally reminds me of those old Sega platformer / hack 'n slashers like Altered Beast, Golden Axe, Splatterhouse, etc. I didn't really catch any bugs or glitches, especially since I was looking for them. I think the only oddity is when I was in a level and selected "exit to map": the ground would disappear for a split second and there'd be an audio spike. But this happened so quickly and it moved to the map that it really wasn't an issue. But overall the game was running smoothly. Here are my machine specs incase that helps you any.

Windows 7
AMD Athlon II Triple-Core 3.3ghz
XFX AMD Radeon HD 7750 1GB
8gb RAM
Playing through my HD TV @ 1366 x 768 (I was playing the game in 16:9).
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:32 pm

Glad to hear the book helped as well as that you're enjoying the game ! :) and hehe yeah on a really good PC like that Insanity's Blade runs pretty well. The audio and delay in jumping to map is definitely one of the oddities of the runtime/engine, as we have done most work around efforts we could to minimize it.

Every game has bugs or glitches at some point though, so the main thing we aim for is that there is nothing game-breaking, which stops the player from finishing the game. Construct 2 was pretty awesome in that both I and @damainman were able to make such a large game between just the two of us in just over a year, so I hope you find it works out great for your games too! :D
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (but not play them)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit Dropbox is a pile of trash and if you need my old files PM me! :)
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:12 am

Message: bclikesyou can only post plain text URLS until they have 500 rep. 1 URLS modified. Why?
All up to speed with C2!

I really need to learn how to make better gifs...Here is a video link which is much better.

At any rate, feel good about where I'm at. Still a handful of things I'd like to add before I have a solid prototype. Those would be:
  • Graphic life gauge
  • A "pop-up" shooter enemy
  • One more type of enemy
  • Text dialogues

I'm at ~30 events. I think I could keep it under 100 and get a small game out of it. If anyone would like to look at my capx, here is the link. Feel free to give me some constructive criticism. Especially with thinning out my events and getting the same results.
Last edited by bclikesyou on Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:55 am

New enemy! Turns and faces your direction once you're in LoS. Shoots a bullet at your angle. Video here!

Working on one more enemy. Then text dialogs. Then I'll move on to working on the actual demo.

Not doing any actual development tonight. Instead typing up a game design doc for the demo. Definitely going to help keep me on track!
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:13 pm

After spending a long weekend crawling through caves in Kentucky, I'm back with some work to show.

First off, I recruited a friend to help me with art for the demo. He's definitely a better artist than I am, which is great. Asked him to mock up some tiles and background sprites (tiled of course) and he sent me this:

At the same time, I got a decent walk cycle going for the main character. Peep that here.

Pretty soon we'll have a bit more art, along with a title screen/main graphic and I'll start a proper thread just for the demo.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests